Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Scholarships

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Scholarships

Between homework and overkillrc stuff everynight, i also try and get afew scholarships apps done a week for the past few.

Anyways, anyone know of any leads thats off road related, or in general?

I plan on attending Colorado School of Mines for Electrical Engineering....anyone know of csm?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Scholarships

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Between homework and overkillrc stuff everynight, i also try and get afew scholarships apps done a week for the past few.

Anyways, anyone know of any leads thats off road related, or in general?

I plan on attending Colorado School of Mines for Electrical Engineering....anyone know of csm?
We often hire interns during the summer from Mines...not sure why but a lot of them come from there.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
We often hire interns during the summer from Mines...not sure why but a lot of them come from there.
yea, most people have jobs lined up before they even get outta school (csm)...and one's salary after mines is one of the highest salaries vs tuition costs in the us (I've read this afew places). Avg starting salary is like 60 grand

I have acceptance letters from both mines and cu boulder, but mines looks better on paper and there's less requirements on non-engineering classes compared to cu. Which is preferable, learning english is not my idea of a good class to be paying for .

For a school like mines though, my academic profile really isn't going to qualify for any merit grants or scholarships through mines. I have a 3.96 GPA and a ACT composite of 26 (18 English, 28 math, 28 science, 28 reading) and a class rank in like the upper 10%. But all their merit based stuff usually requires an act score northwards of 30. I could get northwards of 30, but my brain just doesn't work fast enough todo so, so i'm stuck typing a couple essays a week for a scholarship that i have a rare probability of getting
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Defy Gravity

i heard really good stuff about csm while i was at south dakota mines, really good placement and good programs all around. one thing i bet you'd have a lot of fun with would be mini baja, pretty sure csm has a team. only reason i didn't stick with it in south dakota was the fact that they farmed a lot of stuff out (welding, etc.). that being said, avoid south dakota mines like the plague, the administration left much to be desired and there was nothing for 400 miles to do. may have some nice rock, but beyond that, i'm not a fan of rapid city itself, especially in winter.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i heard really good stuff about csm while i was at south dakota mines, really good placement and good programs all around. one thing i bet you'd have a lot of fun with would be mini baja, pretty sure csm has a team. only reason i didn't stick with it in south dakota was the fact that they farmed a lot of stuff out (welding, etc.). that being said, avoid south dakota mines like the plague, the administration left much to be desired and there was nothing for 400 miles to do. may have some nice rock, but beyond that, i'm not a fan of rapid city itself, especially in winter.
I've read about racing stuff in south dakota mines...but i haven't found anything csm related.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Defy Gravity

caterpillar put up a whole building at sdm that's devoted to things like mini baja, formula sae, uav, and a few other things. caterpillar draws heavy from sdm, its in their best interests to invest in the school. its what drew me there, but the rest of the school was very disappointing, especially after they hung me out to dry after my hand injury. really showed the admin's true colors. i have to say that for geology and other earth sciences, sdm would be the way, but my ee friends were completely miserable there. that and the place drove me to becoming an alcoholic. either way, with the things i've heard about colorado, they should be on the top of your list, spoke with some very satisfied students from there...good programs and profs. next on the list would be virginia tech, at least for me and the mining program. i had a cousin that went to michigan tech and really enjoyed it other than the winters.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Got Worms?

I just came across the coolest and best scholarship so far... SMART through the DoD ( https://smart.asee.org/assets/File/S...chure_2011.pdf )

Too bad i'm ineligible...currently