Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Thermoform mold making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Thermoform mold making

Im working on thermo forming a nissan d21 body. What you guys suggest for making a mold? I already have a polystyrene male mold made but it will melt if i try to lay hot plastic on it.

Any suggestions for making a nice cheap durable mold?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thermoform mold making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Im working on thermo forming a nissan d21 body. What you guys suggest for making a mold? I already have a polystyrene male mold made but it will melt if i try to lay hot plastic on it.

Any suggestions for making a nice cheap durable mold?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Hi There,
i am a thermoforming Engineer for a living (damn its been 15 yrs all ready) all of our molds are made out of aluminum.
the protoypes are made from Renshape 460 Google it its a foam epoxy mixture that is pressed in to a solid block. its alot cheaper and if you take your time forming it will last a long time.

you can cnc machine the renshape tool board at line 200 in a min.... aluminum
cuts at about 50 in a min ( before the machinist go crazy.. these are general and i know the feeds and speeds depend on the dia. size of the endmill and depth of cut, not to mention flat or ball 2,3 or 4 flute... ok now im just showing off a little Sorry)

if you cut the renshape at about 80 in a min. you should get a nice smooth finish.

sincerely, Mark
mark reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'll take a look see. The only reason I didn't go with the CNC approach is that the professor in charge of the CNC machines in kind of an idiot and is not really interested in helping students with the machines if they are not in his class. Basically, he's too "busy" to help.

My inventor drawing is about 98% complete, teaching myself 3D cad. Just haven't figured out project geometry or how to get the curve of the body from top to bottom.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

MDF or hardwood is easy/cheap to work with and will give you a few good pulls for personal use.Its great for proof of concept without the extra cost or need for special equipment. If you plan on going into production...The post above is the way to go.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
MDF or hardwood is easy/cheap to work with and will give you a few good pulls for personal use.Its great for proof of concept without the extra cost or need for special equipment. If you plan on going into production...The post above is the way to go.
I really only want to make a couple for my own use. I guess if it turns out well I'll make more.

I originally planned on using a wood CNC but that fell through for the above reasons.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

That sucks the professor is an ass
For a few shots wood is good as suggested above
Most wood molds are a hard wood like Mohogany hope I spelled thatright
mark reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thermoform mold making - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
material that can be poured into a mold that can be hammered? STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 16 10-24-2011 12:46 PM
Breaking the mold!!! A super in Utah!!! Chaotic Crawlers Superclass Crawlers 46 10-17-2011 05:50 PM
Anybody deal with house mold ? camobob Chit Chat 19 03-10-2011 11:19 PM
Can anybody make a mold from MY 4Runner Body??? drtrydr2000 2.2 Scale Rigs 31 02-26-2009 03:59 AM