Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hard gun case or gun bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Hard gun case or gun bag?

I know we have some shooters here. I recently bought my first rifle..(always used my dads before). I am looking at storage for it. I have a scope and bipod on it.. Measures 50" long. Should I use a gun case or a gun bag.. I was leaning towards the case. But have read alot about the foam in the cases holding in moisture and causing premature rust/ corrosion...?

What do you use? and brand recommendations for something 50" or more.. and please dont say Plano..
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hard gun case or gun bag?

Pelican is probably top of the line. Storm (I think Pelican own them) is just about as good. Then you have your grab bags of cases from companies like Cheaper than Dirt. Voodoo Tactical is supposed to be pretty good. For a weapon with a scope, I prefer a hard case for storage and transport. I had a storm case for my AR back when I was shooting rifles, I am a pistol guy now for the most part. The foam CAN retain moisture, but if you keep your weapon properly cleaned and lube, and possibly toss in a few dessicant packets into the case with your weapon, you should be fine. Lack of maintenance is the mzin cause of rust. Even a pistol left in a safe will rust if not properly maintained.

Pics or it didn't happen
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I keep my 30.06 in a hard case. I keep it clean and lubed, then put it I a silicone sock. Never any problem with rust.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Come and take them!®

I prefer to store them unsheathed in low moisture environment. If not:Cabela's: Bore Stores® Silicone-Impregnated Gun Case gun sock works well. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...2535-31565.jpg
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

So what kind of gun did you get? pics?
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

we have the most important weapons on earth here at work , they are in pelican cases .
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

For storage I never case them, having a true gun safe is your best bet.
I use a hard case for transport to cabin/ range type of places. Soft case is used while on my way to the stand for hunting. Much more convenient for that. You can find some very nice "Gun Socks" that will keep moisture at bay but they will not protect the optics from bumps and such.
If a gun safe is a no go I would suggest a gun sock in a hard case.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

like said a gun sock for each gun in my house stored....then i use a soft case when i take any one of them to the range or hunting....only thing i keep in a hard case is my crossbow during the off hunting season....during hunting i hang it on two coat hooks i put up just for my crossbow, never know when a nice deer will be walking through the yard during hunting season when i'm home .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
So what kind of gun did you get? pics?

Eh.. nothin too special. Its a 1891/30 Mosin Nagant made by Tula. date on it is 1940. I dont have my scope on it yet.. but I will get a pic today.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC FNG View Post
Pelican is probably top of the line. Storm (I think Pelican own them) is just about as good. Then you have your grab bags of cases from companies like Cheaper than Dirt. Voodoo Tactical is supposed to be pretty good. For a weapon with a scope, I prefer a hard case for storage and transport. I had a storm case for my AR back when I was shooting rifles, I am a pistol guy now for the most part. The foam CAN retain moisture, but if you keep your weapon properly cleaned and lube, and possibly toss in a few dessicant packets into the case with your weapon, you should be fine. Lack of maintenance is the mzin cause of rust. Even a pistol left in a safe will rust if not properly maintained.

Pics or it didn't happen
BINGO! Pelican has THE best cases. We have tons of them at work all shapes and sizes. They are pretty indestructable and I believe they have a lifetime warranty? Keep a few silicon packs in there to absorb the moisture and you are set!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Gun safe.

I transport my many weapons in hard cases but they LIVE in one of the 3 safes around the pad. It's a GREAT investment if you're at all serious about your guns. If you have just the 1 rifle & have no plans for another...a good gun sock is great for storage assuming it's in a safe place but a hard case is better for transport...especially with optics. Nothin worse than spending time zeroing in your glass to have it bumped on the way to the range.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamaman View Post
we have the most important weapons on earth here at work , they are in pelican cases .
I'll bite, what weapons would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
Eh.. nothin too special. Its a 1891/30 Mosin Nagant made by Tula. date on it is 1940. I dont have my scope on it yet.. but I will get a pic today.
Cool, good shooting guns, and cheap ammo too!

A $200 Pelican for a Nagant might be a little overkill, but it's an investment you can use later down the road for other guns. A simple zipper style soft sided carry case should work fine, just get one long enough, and make sure that it is made for a scope.
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have both a hard case and a soft side , hard for home, soft for travel , keep the rifle lightly oiled and you wont have any rust issues. the Nagants are a lot of fun , almost wish I still had mine , but I love my AR . Have fun , be safe
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
RCC Addict

A hard case is ok if you get the right one. No need for an expensive case though your not getting any benefit from the extra cost. If you are going to take the case with you or store it in a non temp controlled location use a closed cell foam. If the case is just going to stay in the house any one will do. It's when you take an open cell foam case outside that can cause a problem. For just one rifle I would get a soft case though much easier to store and can go with you without swapping cases.

A Mosin Nagant with a good barrel will be a hammer that's cheap to shoot. Should be plenty of fun
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Suck it up!

I vote case. That way when you run out of bullets you'll have something hard to throw at them. Wielding a floppy canvas bag is not very menacing.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

for a rifle of that sort i suggest a hardcase to protect to optics. if it were an assault rifle i would say a drag bag.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I vote case. That way when you run out of bullets you'll have something hard to throw at them. Wielding a floppy canvas bag is not very menacing.
lol or you could use the 8lb rifle your carrying.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I store all of my guns horizontally with many of them in the silicone sleeves

Last edited by MattH; 06-20-2012 at 01:36 PM.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=OKJeepin;3785557]I'll bite, what weapons would that be?

Please do not bite , I service the warfighter . small arms .
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Hard gun case or gun bag? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hard to find gun part................... Scattman Chit Chat 9 12-27-2010 01:53 PM
New use for a Gun BJoe Chit Chat 6 01-19-2010 06:34 PM
Gun/ pro-gun convert RCCalifornia Chit Chat 73 03-27-2009 05:31 PM