Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Any Crossbow owners here, advice needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Any Crossbow owners here, advice needed.

Deer Hunting season is here again and altho I'm hunting fire arms season again this year I would like to purchase a crossbow for archery season next year. Up untill a few years ago I only hunted with a compound bow but it got stolen and I told myself I would never own another but got that archery itch again and wanted to try a crossbow this time insted of a compound bow.

Any advise,tips, etc. would be appreciated.
I know my way around a compound bow but have no experience with a cross bow.
Been looking at getting an Excalibur Equinox. Anybody know if that one will be ok for 3D target shooting and hunting? Any better choices?
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Any Crossbow owners here, advice needed.

Check with local laws, some don't allow crossbows in archery season unless you are handicapped.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
Check with local laws, some don't allow crossbows in archery season unless you are handicapped.
X2 Here in the Liberal State of California. This is the Law of the Land. Total B.S. in my opinion.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Indiana just allowed crossbows this year for non handicapped hunters and its becoming quite popular
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
I'd agree...check with your local laws before you lay down the cash. I know in Vermont it used to be illegal unless you had a disability that prevented you from shooting a bow. My Dad is missing his index and middle finger on his right hand, and was allowed to hunt with a crossbow, although he still used a bow instead.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

well you are looking at the right brand of crossbow in an excalibur ....i have there exocet 200 and is plenty enough poundage....i was thinking of there 225lb'ers and decide to go with there 200lb xbow....it was the best choice with that poundage as i have been reading people who went the 225lb route are switching down in poundage....leave the training wheels on the kiddy bikes and go with a recurve from excalibur....if you need to change your string you can do it in the field in your tree stand and not effect your scope setting as long as you put the string back at the brace height you use....a training wheel crossbow you will be done hunting if you need a string change out in the field cause you will need to take it to a bow shop press and have them change it....plus a recurve xbow you don't need tiller adjustments like anything a compound needs like you already know from having a compound bow....simple put you can't go wrong with an excalibur crossbow....if you go excalibur check out there forum for any info you will want to fins out bout, tell them i pointed ya there .........bob

Excalibur Crossbow Forum • View forum - Crossbow Hunting

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

^^Awesome^^ Thanks Bob.

I know the hunting laws for my state guys, been hunting since I was 14 and now I'm 42.
It use to be the same here where you had to be hadicapped to use one.
I noticed a few months back every walmart I went into had crossbows on the shelf in the hunting/sporting goods department. I saw them only at walmarts in Indiana and thought that was odd till the IN hunting and trapping regulations guide came out. You can hunt useing a crossbow during archery season from Oct.1-Jan 6 but firearms season only runs from Nov 17-Dec 2. With a crossbow I get more time in the woods and even tho we have a bag limit of one buck per season the bonus anterless limit for my county is 8 so if I wanted I could get 9 deer this season, you just need to buy an additional license per antlerless deer.
Something else I noticed in the guide I thought was kinda odd.
"An individual may carry a handgun while hunting without a license to carry a handgun in accordance with Indiana code 35-47-2-1". I don't think they would allow that in Cali either.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
I know the hunting laws for my state guys, been hunting since I was 14 and now I'm 42. )
Its all good, had to throw it out there. With some of the threads I have seen on here gun/hunting related I assume nothing anymore
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

why don't you want another compound? I'm looking to get into archery once I can afford it and am torn between a recurve and a compound. I want to hunt, I have no interest in competing.
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Montess View Post
why don't you want another compound? I'm looking to get into archery once I can afford it and am torn between a recurve and a compound. I want to hunt, I have no interest in competing.
Watching a bit too much Hunger Games?

Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

yes. but I did want to get into archery long before that. that just made me want to do it more.

Last edited by Del Montess; 10-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Check with local laws and start saving. They get really expensive
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

that arrow is not even on the rest or on top of her fingers, but behind the back of her hand .......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post

that arrow is not even on the rest or on top of her fingers, but behind the back of her hand .......bob

yeah, even this girl (who hasn't shot an arrow since she was 10 at girl scout camp-- it was a bullseye btw, I won a hershey bar in the competition ), noticed that one.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Montess View Post
I want to hunt, I have no interest in competing.
3D comps are a blast. I was pretty heavy into archery and bow hunting before I left Vermont. That came to a screeching halt when I broke my collarbone I can shoot again now, but I'm so busy with other things that I don't have the time I do want to get a new bow someday though.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

Any Crossbow owners here, advice needed. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need advice from Gelande owners Maxwedge General Scale Talk 0 09-04-2011 10:34 PM
Some advice from CC owners please Ktbone Duratrax Cliff Climber 7 10-09-2010 03:38 AM
Tester Needed...........Stock WK Owners BENDER HPI Wheely King 70 04-01-2008 11:38 AM
A Little HVAC Advice For The Home Owners Here....... Robb Chit Chat 4 07-24-2007 08:27 PM