Notices

Thread: Any CAD users here???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Any CAD users here???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignorant_newb View Post
How does Revit work? I see alot of job postings wanting people with Revit experience.
It works ok, it is definitely geared for industrial/business type structures more than it is for custom residential but it works good enough. The sketching is very basic and there are no constraints (coradial, colinear, tangent, concentric, etc.) so sketching is very slow and hard to tweak. It doesnt really matter most of the time but sometimes I just wish it had the sketching power of SW. Also, in regards to solid modeling (you need to use it for stuff like windows, doors, lights, anything else you need to represent) it really sucks...It lacks some simple but very effective time-savers like a Fillet or Chamfer command though it does have basic lofting and loft-sweep (loft following a path) so any time I want a chamfer or fillet along an edge I have to cut-sweep my profile along it. Such a waste of time!

It is much faster than something like AutoCad because it is building a 3d model of the project no matter what view I am in (floor plan, elevation, section) so changes made in the floor plan automatically show up in all my other views. It is a great tool to help our clients visualize the project, most people cant look at plans and understand what it will look like when it is all done and when they are spending a lot of money that can be an issue down the road haha.

In my opinion any good CAD drafter would be able to pick up any CAD package fairly quickly since most of the concepts are the same. From there it is just learning where the buttons are and more importantly the nuances of each package. I know very well what SW simply will not do and/or what makes a model unstable but I couldnt tell you what Inventor likes/dislikes. There are always more than 1 way to model something, knowing what way the software will respond well to is part of being good at that CAD package.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 11-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Any CAD users here???

I have AutoCAD R14 on the home computer, lol! My dad hated using it, but it did what I wanted, so was ok with it
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote

Any CAD users here??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Users spyderwebbcustoms Chit Chat 4 07-10-2010 01:13 AM
Most users ever ... ram_tough Chit Chat 0 06-30-2010 09:15 AM
Mac users constantmotion Chit Chat 12 03-15-2009 07:45 PM
AX-10 Users Dr. Mongoose Newbie General 1 06-26-2008 03:04 PM