Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP Ammo

Looking for opinions + or - from anyone that has shot some of this ammo.

David
Crimson Rock Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP Ammo

Golden sabre .40 s&w I have shot a few hundred rounds of. Great feeding in my glock. Jacket is bonded to core so they have the highest weight retention after full expansion. As acurate as any I found & in the middle of the cleanest burning pack. I love em.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Golden sabre .40 s&w I have shot a few hundred rounds of. Great feeding in my glock. Jacket is bonded to core so they have the highest weight retention after full expansion. As acurate as any I found & in the middle of the cleanest burning pack. I love em.
Thanks for the feedback !!!

David
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's a pain in the ass to reload because of the shoulder on the bullet. For taper crimp calibers, forget-it.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
dkf
Rock Crawler

Remington puts that damn driving band on a lot of their bullets. I bought a few thousand of their frangibles for a song and they all have that damn driving band. For what I paid for them I can deal with it.

My carry rounds are currently GS Bonded and HST. I prefer the bonded versions myself. The GS bullet is an older design but it still works. It is not a bullet design that expands a lot. It is right along with the XTP at around 1.5x diameter of expansion.

For .45acp I would also look at the 230gr HST load. The HST is a very good load and the expansion is impressive. You will more than likely have a hard time finding the HST locally. Federal has a LE only internal policy for their HST line. Non LE basically only gets contract overruns.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Remington puts that damn driving band on a lot of their bullets. I bought a few thousand of their frangibles for a song and they all have that damn driving band. For what I paid for them I can deal with it.

My carry rounds are currently GS Bonded and HST. I prefer the bonded versions myself. The GS bullet is an older design but it still works. It is not a bullet design that expands a lot. It is right along with the XTP at around 1.5x diameter of expansion.

For .45acp I would also look at the 230gr HST load. The HST is a very good load and the expansion is impressive. You will more than likely have a hard time finding the HST locally. Federal has a LE only internal policy for their HST line. Non LE basically only gets contract overruns.
Thanks also for the detailed feedback. I know one store where I might be able to locate Federal HST,the owner is a former LEO (just bought a new Colt Model 1070RG from his store) so I'll see if he can help me,if not,I might ask if he stocks another version of Federal .45 ACP ammo.

David
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
dkf
Rock Crawler

The HST are really the only Federal rounds I would recommend as it is their latest and greatest and performs very well. The other JHPs they have in their lineup are more old school. If they don't have the Federal HST another very good round is the Speer Gold Dot. The Winchester Ranger T is also another good design but I have avoided Winchester anything lately due to their QC issues. They have in the process of moving down south to get away from high union labor costs and a lot of bad rounds have been getting by.

I order 50 round boxes online because buying 20 round boxes is a major ripoff.

I ordered a surplus .50cal box along with a bunch of ammo from the place below last month and shipping was $13 and change.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...on/45-auto-acp

Last edited by dkf; 11-01-2012 at 09:36 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote

Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP Ammo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 7.62x54r yugoslavian ammo general lee Chit Chat 6 03-22-2012 10:09 PM
Its almost a light saber! BEELZEBOB Chit Chat 11 06-20-2010 10:46 PM
Remington Recall of 597 17/22 Mags JIA's Dad Chit Chat 2 01-02-2010 01:38 PM