Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Bought a Gladiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bought a Gladiator

I went ahead and bought a 1/6 scale Jeep Gladiator at Wally World. After hearing about it from "The Dirk Daddy" , had to go get one. What I like the most about it besides the detail, is that the bottom is perfectly flat. Easy to mount a sub-frame to. I am giving up on the tuber, can't seem to get the hang of soldering. So what do you think? Should I go scale or Swamp Kong size?
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

go scale fu@#$% them way to big tires
RustyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Swamp Dawgs can be scale, it just depends on what look you're going for.

If you want to the look of a truck on huge tires, 44's+, then go with a big tire. There's nothing that says the tires have to be tucked under the truck and fit perfectly in the wheel wells for it to be "scale", although that's seems to be the concensus on this board.

If you want the look of a stock truck, or something on 33's or less, then use a smaller tire. Period.

On a side note, I also happen to run across these Gladiators last night at WW. I will absolutely be starting a scale build using one of these bodies and some Juggy/TXT axles, just as soon as they come down in price. I'm not paying $80 for a body.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yea, $80 is steep. I just put it on lay-a-way. That way it doesn't seem like that much money since it's not paid all at once. Sounds ridiculous but in my mind I can deal with it.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

pic or link? i wanna see what it looks like
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have a digital camera with the cable to hook it to the computer. But, the wifey threw away the instruction manual and cd because she thought I was done with it. Don't you just love women!!! Got another manual and cd coming. As soon as it gets here I'll try and post some pics.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Crappy pic

but you get the idea
Kevin
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

you would think the spare tire would be scale to the ones on the truck.....
aint scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Picked up the Gladiator today. We'll see how long the supplied gear lasts. I'm gonna thrash it in the sand pits here at work til it blows. If the stock battery pack doesn't do it. I'll see what a 3000Ni-Mh will do to it. The wheelbase is 18 3/4 " stock. To center the wheels in the wheel wells, a 20" wheel base will work perfectly. More to come later. Still have no way to put up pics as of yet.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What do y'all think of 1/2" square tubing for a simple sub-frame? Just need enough of a frame to attach the links to. There is enough room in the body for the electronics, battery, etc... I know the tubing is a little HUGE but I already have it here. I don't think it'll look too bad under this large body.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
Powered by Awesome

you guys beat me to it... im pickin one up in a week or so to start on a build. I called Planet toys (mfg) to see if i could just buy the body Nylint style and they were all... NOPE>>> dont have anyparts for that thing. sorry.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, the motor didn't last to long. It held up pretty well in the sand and mud. What did it in was doing doughnuts on the garage floor which was sprayed with wd-40. Put in a 3700 ni-mh pack and went to town. was fun til I slid off the slick part onto dry concrete. Was doing a reverse doughnut then put it in forward and ssnnaapp. There went the gears. Hooray, now I get to tear it apart and start the build. Got the instructions for the digi cam coming in the mail. Hopefully I will be able too post pics soon.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchman
Got the instructions for the digi cam coming in the mail. Hopefully I will be able too post pics soon.
Really? How are could it be to take a picture with a digi cam?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Really? How are could it be to take a picture with a digi cam?
It could be super hard, like my parent's, they're in their mid 50's and don't know how to use the "zoom" feature , They don't know how to turn the computer on or off either
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
06 Super National Champ

I've been messing with one of these as well.

Mine has a 19" wheelbase, Gecko chassis, and is sitting on 1/6 Nylint wheels and tires but I think I'm going to swap them out for LST tires.

Haven't worked out the shocks yet but my intention is to run four Savage shocks.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

$69 here in Albuquerque.I saw 3 lastnite.They also have the H3 in the same size.I know Hummers can't crawl.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Taking digi pics isn't hard. Downloading them to my computer is. I'm not real computer savvy, sorry. I need the instructions to learn how to put pics on the computer and be able to send them to other places on the internet. JIA -- I thought about a Gecko chassis, but wanted to save the money and try to build my own. You have any pics I could see? Gonna put Swamp Kongs on mine and try some mudding with it. Going to use either 55T Lathes, or Magnetic Mayhems.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #18