Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: help w/ parasitic drain???? 1.1 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default help w/ parasitic drain???? 1.1 ?

hey guys ive had this impala station wagon for a little over a year now,

i took it to a mechanic to have my wallet emptied, and i had to let it sit when my insurance ran out, (couldnt pay to fix it and pay for insurance also)
so i chose to fix it, i did the sparkplugs and decieded i wasnt going to work on it myself, so i got the timing done, fuel/air filter, waterpump seals, sparkplug wires, oil valves, and battery replaced, when i got it back it ran great! but w/ no insurance it had to sit, so i start it up twice a month and all the sudden it wouldnt turn over, i jumped it, it started fine, drove it around the block to sit some more, and the next time i tried to start it it was so dead i couldn't jump it???
i went through the whole car w/ a voltimeter and every thing seemed fine, took it to the local garage and they said it was the batt, so i replaced it AGAIN, still it drained, im tired of buying new $75 batts when im not even driving it, so i posted it in autotrader and now i want to fix the drain so im not the bad guy when i sell it, does anyone have any clue what this could be ? its not a bad ground either... ? im so frustrated....

sorry about the rant .... but please help me !
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

if you let it sit for long periods of time the computers and the radio all take power to keep thier memory maybe thats doing it
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation

Has anything on it been "rigged" up? Stereo/trailer lights etc.etc? The computer thing might be a problem but something as simple as short in a domelight could drain your battery (happened on my GM) Start simple then complex,you'll be surprised.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

In most modern cars, the PCM (BCM, etc) is smart enough to shut off after a period of inactivity.................of course, some aren't. Your stereo probably doesn't use a chip for memory, so it will pull some, but just radio memory will take a LONG time to kill a battery.

I am assuming you have checked batt voltage with the engine running, and have verified that the alt is charging the batt (13.8+v at idle).

To trace your drain, you will need to use an amp meter, either placed inline with a battery cable or clamped on. With everything off, you should only have a amp pull somewhere in the hundredths of an amp (.0x)...........but if you are killing a batt that quick, I would guess that you are showing an amp pull somewhere in the tenths of an amp (.x) Once you have the meter set up and it is showing a high pull, just start pulling fuses until you see the draw drop off. This will get you in the ballpark of your problem.

To start though, you are going to need to figure out the exact amount of parasitic amp draw with the vehicle off.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb

To trace your drain, you will need to use an amp meter, either placed inline with a battery cable or clamped on.
Where are you getting the DC clamp on meter? All I have seen are AC clamp on voltage meters.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
Where are you getting the DC clamp on meter? All I have seen are AC clamp on voltage meters.
Both my Fluke 36 and Extech "mini" will measure DC amperage with the clamp.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Oh I'm not spending the money for a fluke. Those are kind of high.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
MWRCA'er

I'd check the basics, Is your trunk light off when it's closed, Hood light, Ignition switch turning off.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Dad's blazer will do that but we can usually jump it I don't get it either
mudplower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

id agree with checking with a Fluke or similar meter, price isnt low, but they do come in handy ALOT...check all the wires and everything to see if you see something wrong, or go on an online forum an do a search, forums help alot also
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

My wagon does the same thing, i need to run it every 2 weeks to keep it charged.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #12

A decent amp clamp is kinda spendy but you could try a cheapie multimeter (you get what you pay for) from the local parts store for $35 or so that will check up to a 10amp draw. It should have an extra lead input labeled AMP and can be used inline w/ the batt for testing and troubleshooting purposes.
With the key off you can pull fuses to see what, if anything is drawing an excessive amount off the batt. I try and look for less that 2ma but it sounds like the car sits too long with the batt connected.
RIPPER357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Have you posted this issue over at the ImpalaSS forum (www.impalassforum.com)? There's a bunch of smart SOBs over there.

Slightly OT, but what year is the wagon? From the looks of it, it appears to be a pre-94. It also appears to have started its life as either a Roadmaster or Custom Cruiser, as opposed to a Caprice. Did someone do the full SS conversion and replace the bumper and grill or is it still the RM or CC grille and bumper?
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

thanks for all the help every one i will check out the ssforum later,
but no there isnt even an aftermarket stereo in it, someone else checked the alternator for me and they said it was fine running and not running, i thought if it was a short from a light the light or lights wouldn't work ...?
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote