Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Formula 4x4 motor/esc ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Formula 4x4 motor/esc ideas

As the title states I am just starting the process of building a scale formula 4x4 ( those crazy Icelandic hillclimbers ) based off Tlt axles and a tube chassis and was looking for ideas as to which motor/esc combo would be good as it needs both low end and top end power. I also hope this is the right forum for this question, if not please move to right one for me.

Thanks in advance
Jerry
hexlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

brushless would get my vote.
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What scale are you talking about? I mean brushless would be nice like the one for the e-maxx but i'm not sure that the axles would hold up unless you get the ones RC4WD plans on making. You could use a gorillamaxx tranny and the brushless system to go along with it and once RC4WD releases the machined TLT axle cases. i think that would suffice
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It will have the pro-line 2.2 sand paw tires on it and a Matt Francis trans in it and should be fairly light. I was thinking brushless just unsure of which set up to use ( ie. Holmes hobbies revolver or one of the novak systems or ???? )
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexlink
It will have the pro-line 2.2 sand paw tires on it and a Matt Francis trans in it and should be fairly light. I was thinking brushless just unsure of which set up to use ( ie. Holmes hobbies revolver or one of the novak systems or ???? )

I think JRH can get you the novak system now also

wheel speed is paramount for that kinda stuff.....id go with at least a 2450KV inrunner motor or better
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

JRH really liked the crawler novak setup. He said it might be the best trail rig combo out right now.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

rockwerks is right, wheel speed is very important. Those guys even run across small ponds. If you go brushed, you will need a modified motor somewhere in the 15X2 or so range. But if you go brushless get a higher kV model. Just remember the real machines are purpose built and designed to run a minimum amount of time kinda like a top fuel or rail dragster. So you might have to make a concession on how much like the real thing you want to build.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I want to see this thing, hurry up and build it and take lots of pics, waiting impatiently
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You're going for max wheelspeed here, rather than torque or low-speed resolution, so look into the Mamba Max (the 4600 should be plenty) or the Novak Velocity 5.5/GTB combo. You'll want to lay the tranny down, as both motors are fairly heavy. The Mamba is water-resistant.

If you want to make it a dual-purpose rig, the Novak Crawler might be worth a look. It's 2700 KV isn't that fast, but it's got enough balls that you can gear it way the hell up for speed, and back down when you want to crawl.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

It is sounding like the novak crawler is the way I'm gonna go, I have heard lots of good things about it so far. But the mamba being waterproof sounds good.... Oh yeah I am just waiting for some parts then I will start posting some pics in the scale section
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #11

I would love to see some pics, as I am starting a similar project. Trying to find some mad force axles for mine. My goal is to be able to hydroplane a small pond. Wheel speed is definatly going to be your biggest concern...

Good luck, and pics?
AkCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrash
I would love to see some pics, as I am starting a similar project. Trying to find some mad force axles for mine. My goal is to be able to hydroplane a small pond. Wheel speed is definatly going to be your biggest concern...

Good luck, and pics?
waterskipping, i wouldn't go with 4wd, i think the front end would go down because of tire rotation.

forrc water skippin i'd take a st and do sand tires all around and slam it down low and put lexan sheets on all the a arms
skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote