Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: AR Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default AR Accessories

Not sure if you all have the same problem but my AR is like a teen age girl getting dressed for her first date. Changes clothes and accessories 20 times.

Mine is a Wyndham Weaponry MPC in Carbine length, a basic M4 config with a carry handle. I started out with a basic Red Dot. Then I tried a 4X Tactical scope, then the 4X without the handle. Next was a reflex sight with a Slide to the Side 3X Magnifier. I really preferred the Flattop look so I replaced the front sight/gas block with a low profile gas block and added folding sights. Then back to the carry handle and the stock sight and finally removed the handle, added a larger FOV Red Dot and a folding rear sight that co-witnesses. I think I am finally where I want to be on sights.

In the process of all the sight changes, I also added and removed, in no special order, a Mag Pull MOE hand guard, rail kit, a laser sight, 2 different flashlights, a bipod, a folding fore grip, a set of sling mounts for a single point sling and a fixed fore grip and a Mag Pul single point/dual point sling. Ended up with just the MOE Hand guard, Fixed Fore Grip and single point sling.

Thank god handguns only really have this issue with Mags and Holsters, though I REALLY like nice leather work and find myself spending way to much on that too.

Pretty simple now and much easier for me to use with my aging eyes.

Here are a couple of the other iterations:

neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: AR Accessories

BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tacticool!
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Love that poster. I was able to get one before the owner quit selling them. Now I just have to find it, lol.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The only accessory I care about is ammo, piles and piles of ammo.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
The only accessory I care about is ammo, piles and piles of ammo.
I was just sighting in my rifle, fired one 30 round mag ( had to shoot a few for fun after I had it on). When I policed my brass, I picked up 36 empties. At that rate, I may get ahead in my reloading.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Speaking of accessories, I find getting a grip on my charging handle in the flat top config a little tight with my stubby fingers so I want to put an extended latch on it, maybe an ambidextrous one.

Anyone have any experience with the Bravo Company Gunfighter Large Handle? Or know of a good latch by itself?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I run a Yankee Hill Machine Black Diamond Specter XL Carbine.

Other than flip up sights, a micro red dot, and a AFG. I don't like to have a bunch of additional accessories on my rifles.

K.I.S.S.

The best accessories for a good rifle is stacks of ammo and loaded mags!

Last edited by dezfan; 08-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Speaking of accessories, I find getting a grip on my charging handle in the flat top config a little tight with my stubby fingers so I want to put an extended latch on it, maybe an ambidextrous one.

Anyone have any experience with the Bravo Company Gunfighter Large Handle? Or know of a good latch by itself?
It's not ambidextrous, but I like my Badger latch. It's the Gen 1 with the loop. Not sure if it's still available as they have a Gen 2 out as I understand. Works well when you run a scope on the flat top.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I agree with Dezfan, If I have to pick up a rifle off the battlefield, I don't want this gadget and that clutter on it. Simple manual of arms...

Now, OP, you have decent kit. Go get some professional training other than standing on a square range punching holes at a non-life like circle. Go learn how to use that weapon so when you need it, you don't have to think, you react on muscle memory. Can you clear a double feed with out thinking? Can you transition to pistol when you expect a bang and hear a CLICK!? Just questions. You don't really know what works for you and what doesn't until you try it in a given situation.

I've been down range to the sand box 5 times and worked at a black rifle gun shop in my spare time. If you want some solid input on what to look for shoot me a message, any time. Want another's opinion? Ask Harley what advice I gave him. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Jeff
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead lobber View Post
I agree with Dezfan, If I have to pick up a rifle off the battlefield, I don't want this gadget and that clutter on it. Simple manual of arms...

Now, OP, you have decent kit. Go get some professional training other than standing on a square range punching holes at a non-life like circle. Go learn how to use that weapon so when you need it, you don't have to think, you react on muscle memory. Can you clear a double feed with out thinking? Can you transition to pistol when you expect a bang and hear a CLICK!? Just questions. You don't really know what works for you and what doesn't until you try it in a given situation.

I've been down range to the sand box 5 times and worked at a black rifle gun shop in my spare time. If you want some solid input on what to look for shoot me a message, any time. Want another's opinion? Ask Harley what advice I gave him. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Jeff
Really? I am retired Navy with one tour as a Combat Cargo Officer and another as a Chief Range Officer. Granted, most of my experience is with M14 s, SAWs, M60s, MP3s and 1911s. The post was about the plethora of Optics choices and some of he accessories that some people add. A fore grip is pretty useful for those of us with arthritis and I added a flashlight for night use on my 4wheeler before I decided a 12ga was a better choice. I am perfectly comfortable shooting and maintaining my gear, I was just making a point about the choices we make.

Your condescending comments are unnessecary.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Your condescending comments are unnessecary.

Condescending comments my ASS! All I was doing was asking questions about where the next step in your tacticool evolution should be. You as the OP made no mention of you knowledge of fire arms and shooting history.
And as for the choices we make bit... Yeah, that sounded like indecision about what new tacticool accessory to add to your Barbie black rifle. All I was doing was trying to help you out before you spent more money on shit you don't need.

Thanks for you service Neil, now pound sand...
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Jeff definitely didn't say anything condescending. I hope your skin isn't that thin when you're carrying.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Jeff definitely didn't say anything condescending. I hope your skin isn't that thin when you're carrying.
sure seemed like a under-handed comment addressing the assumed ignorance of the op in regards to not knowing how to use a gun and instead only caring about decorating one...

but maybe my skin is too thin.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I don't think this is about "thin skin".. It's just looks like some guy talkin' shit based on assumptions.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post

I run the gunfighter large handle, it's pretty awesome to be able to use the side of your palm and charge the weapon with your support hand.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

This is my rig Neil:

Pics were taken in Florence AZ this past may. I did more shooting in those 2 weeks than in the last year in Illinois. I completed carbine basics, and advanced carbine courses with independence training too. I love that rifle. (Sidearm/carry heater is a Glock 19)

And my 1911, because you are a 1911 fan:

Last edited by Mega Fattie; 09-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Anybody know where I can get "cup holders", something that will hold my 7-11 big gulp...?

Cale262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Wow, never saw that coming.

IMO, one of the best attributes of the AR platform is the abundance and variety of available accessories.

It really helps to personalize one's rifle and make it suit the needs of its owner.

I like a simple set up, but even as such, I went through several different accessories until I found the ones that fit my personal preferences the best.

That said, I am now saving to add a new Fortis Rev Rail, I'm contemplating switching over to a Burris Fastfire III reflex sight, and I've love to get a MagPul UBR.

So even though I like to keep it simple, I still like to keep Barbie in the latest styles.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Fattie View Post
This is my rig Neil:

Pics were taken in Florence AZ this past may. I did more shooting in those 2 weeks than in the last year in Illinois. I completed carbine basics, and advanced carbine courses with independence training too. I love that rifle. (Sidearm/carry heater is a Glock 19)

And my 1911, because you are a 1911 fan:

Good to know. I ordered the BCM Large yesterday. And very nice 1911. I probably shoot 10 rounds of .45 for every one on .223. About the only tho g owe is my 10/22, I shoot the hell out of it at the pond. It has become my go to gun for snakes.

AR Accessories - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JK accessories NEW YORK BOY Scale Accessories 7 10-12-2011 03:15 AM
accessories jkurb00 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 08-02-2010 05:18 PM
Accessories Harleyrocker Newbie General 3 04-25-2008 06:12 PM
Accessories? NoobCrawler Newbie General 2 01-22-2008 11:35 PM