Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: subwoofer question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default subwoofer question

I'm looking into buying a subwoofer for my s-10, but i don't really want some extreme bass system, i just the bit of bass that the music i listen to is supposed to have.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EqeAkiHD6vD/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&tab=essential_info&i=037ATB6AT#Tab
This is the one that i like for the size and having a built in amp. has anyone had any experience with this kind of subwoofer? should i go with something else instead?
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

s-10s suck
i got the same system and it works great
MaXX_CrAWlER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Never heard one personally I know the Bazooka tubes sound pretty decent so those probably aren't that bad either.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You're probably not even old enough to drive, So shut it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXX_CrAWlER7
s-10s suck

i got the same system and it works great
And if you are, You probably don't know how.
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like it would do fine for what you want.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

We had a similar setup, the old "bass tube" I think it was called. It would only produce a very narrow frequency band, and it was way too low of a frequency, leaving a big gap in the overall band. It would also distort easily when pushed hard.

If you are on a super tight budget, I guess I'd start with making sure you have a decent deck (they still call it that?). Get a high power unit, or a lower power one and a small amp. You'll then have the outputs to add amps later. Next replace/upgrade the speakers in the stock holes. That will make a huge difference in the sound quality and help widen the frequency band a ways. Then move on to adding bass as funds allow. I'd recommend looking for used sub gear, a 125 watt rms amp bridged driving a single "decent brand" sub in just about any decent box will outdo that tube style by a long shot!
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

the stock speakers are already gone, along with the stock stereo. yes i am on a very tight budget, but like i said i don't plan to push this hard at all, just to add a small amount of bass to what i have. thanks for the help so far guys.

Maxx Crawler7, what makes you think s-10's suck?
-Dalton
Old 11-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Audiobahn is a good company and that is a decent sounding 6". It is a Mid Bass unit.
If you are looking for crystal clear sound and a decent bass hit in the mid to lower bass, then you'll want to check out http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/index.php
They are a little high but the sound quality is super. You can run a smaller amp size with their 6 to 6.5" mid bass. Make the box yourself. I'd get on the forum there and speak with some of the guys to get a better idea of what you want.

And what type of music do you listen to?
Makes a difference as well.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks double J, and i listen to classic rock
-Dalton
Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The biggest thing for subs is don't let the sales guys talk you into spending mega bucks on anything!!! Small amps, small wires, etc are all fine for low outputs. I was running 2 used MTX 15's in a homemade box with only 125 watt rms with tiny wires in the trunk of a 79 Cutlass with pillowed seats (Brougham) and my wife complained that she couldn't breath when I turned it up. What more do you need? 2 Punch 12's in a bandpass box, same size amp, and we got much better midrange. Disconnect one speaker with either system, and you could barely tell, hence suggesting a single sub.

S-10's.... probably the greatest thing is parts are everywhere, and dirt cheap. And that's important if not running a "new" vehicle! Get one with a 4.3 liter and they MOVE!
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Image dynamics isn't a "main streem" company but is very respected in their business. Great quallity and all.

If I were you I would get a better deck. get a component speaker set up, which consists of a 5.5 or 6" and a smaller speaker(horn). Install in the doors. You'll want to have the 5 or 6" enclosed which is very easily done.
This set up will work well for what you listen to. http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...=cs1&type=horn
Then you can add an 8" or 10" behind the seats later and get a full rang of sound.

Bass really isn't a sound though.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i have a 91 with the 4.3 and they do get up good, i was shocked when i did my first burnout in a parking lot
-Dalton
Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Get on the forum there. It isn't monitored as much as it is here so it will take a bit for someone to get back to you. OR call them. They are in CA and let them know what you are after and that money is tight and they'll hook you up with a nice set up in your price range.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

is your s-10 a reg cab or xtended? it helps to know what kind of room you are working with. as far as audiobahn....mmmm....i personally wouldn't go that route. image dynamics make awesome products,,but like double j said, the price is up there. bass tubes are ok but they are limited to what they can do. placement is a big factor in output and sound quality. did you look into mtx thunderforms? you can buy them "loaded" and they make them to fit alot of vehicles with limited space. almost any decent sub with the right box will sound great. in my "winter beater" i got an RE (resonant engineering) 8" sub in a tuned box that embarasses some 12" setups. i got a couple buddies that i used to compete with at db drags that have heard this sub and i made them guess what i had. they all shat their pants when i finally showed them what it was. the rest of the system is stock speakers and just an amp for the sub.
tony tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

if you are looking for some punchy mid bass, a sealed enclosure might help`IMO, i would reccomend elemental designs woofers for their design of minimal space needed on their speakers also for their accurate and natural sounding speakers, i can tell you this as i own a set of their components and also a woofer, i have tested them against my RF power components and against my p3 woofers and the elemental designs units sound much clearer, check their forum out also:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

^^^what he said! i was going to recommend th eu700 7" subwoofer. this is a phenominal driver, and cheap too! i have a couple here i don't know what to do with. i was going to put them in the doors of my summer truck,,but never got around to it.

Last edited by tony tt; 11-20-2006 at 04:33 PM.
tony tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I would actually go with some okubs and a very good box, I know at bestbuy they pt the crapiest subs in a great box and it sounds like the punches in a normal box.
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #18

When I had muy 96 Sonoma regular cab I was running a 130 watt amp with a single 10 inch PPI sub in it and it sounded awesome. There isn't alot of room behind the seat of a regular cab if you are tall so remember that.
redneckracer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedoutnylint06
You're probably not even old enough to drive, So shut it.
And if you are, You probably don't know how.
I agree,maxx crawler7 is a real pole smoker. You though,being king ding a ling slinger around here,need to shut your own cake hole.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #20
Trying to have Fun Again

Go with a 8" JL Audio. I had one in my 95 toyota t-100 in a fiberglass enclosure and it rocked. I was only running a PPI A100 to it. I work at a car audio shop doing the home theater side of it. But I use to do car audio installs for 6 years. You need to find a store that will let you try box's in your car. A show room is nothing like your car. Find a nice amp and woofer and you'll be fine. Try PPI art series amps. They are older amps but they are true power. Like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-ART-A100-AMP...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-A300-2-Ch-Am...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Power-...QQcmdZViewItem
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote