Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone into trains?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Default Anyone into trains?

I went to a local train museum today, and took some pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2i_4GDOaW0
bigoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone into trains?

Climb into one everyday for work... So I guess I'm "into" trains.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Depends on who she is........Oh wait not that kind......

Maybe this kind.

The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yes...real trains and models. Train museums are cool, especially ones that have steam trains you can ride on. I have a lot of O gauge trains that I can't use now since I moved...not enough space in a 2 bedroom apartment. If I ever buy a house again, the next model railroad I build will be HO scale.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoggy View Post
I went to a local train museum today, and took some pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2i_4GDOaW0
Nice thanks for sharing your pics! Looks like a fun day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrZod View Post
Climb into one everyday for work... So I guess I'm "into" trains.
Nice, I tried to get on with Union Pacific several years ago, but for the first several years it's no kind of married life..in fact you have no life, but the pay and benefits are great. Plus I love trains and travelling! I know a couple people who work for them, two of them are and have been full on Train Engineers for several years, I'm kinda envious at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Depends on who she is........Oh wait not that kind......

Maybe this kind.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Yes...real trains and models. Train museums are cool, especially ones that have steam trains you can ride on. I have a lot of O gauge trains that I can't use now since I moved...not enough space in a 2 bedroom apartment. If I ever buy a house again, the next model railroad I build will be HO scale.
x2, whenever I travel and there's a steam train to ride, I'm in! There are several very nice ones to ride in Northern California! I have old HO train set that I practically wore out playing with as a kid, but don't really have time and space for it these days...too many other hobbies.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There's a few of us here that admit to loving model trains. I usually post an annual thread every February when a local, large scale model train show comes to town. I'm always fascinated by the On3 live steamers and battery powered locomotives. Absolutely beautiful models, most of them hand built.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
There's a few of us here that admit to loving model trains. I usually post an annual thread every February when a local, large scale model train show comes to town. I'm always fascinated by the On3 live steamers and battery powered locomotives. Absolutely beautiful models, most of them hand built.
They have a club or two here in Sacramento, CA area and there's a park where they run them, complete wtih turntable.

Hagan Community Park in Rancho Cordova, California is the park I was thinking of, and Sacramento Valley Live Steamers is a club that meets and runs there! It's right next to the American River Parkway (greenbelt with sweet hiking, biking trails!)

Sacramento Valley Live Steamers Railroad Museum (SVLSRM)

Sacramento Valley Live Steamers Railroad Museum (SVLSRM)
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My Dad is a retired railroader, never got into the scale stuff though.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

There is a miniature railway not far from where I live.
It runs through the bush along side a river.
Castledare Miniature Railway
I used to take my son down to ride them when he was little.

Not my photos, lost all mine when a hard drive died.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Hell yeah, I'll admit it all day. Model trains was the first hobby I've had. My grandfather was a welder who repaired tracks. He had a layout in his basement before I was born. Those were my first "toys". For my 8th birthday, he built me (so he said, more for him) a big layout at the time...4'x12' in HO scale. It was awesome, but by now I also had like every Tonka truck made, hot wheels and matchbox cars, slot cars and the slotless when they came out, and a couple of remote control (tethered) cars. Then a couple of years later came the radio controlled cars and that was it for everything else lol. I got back into trains after I got engaged. Her dad has HO trains that go around the whole perimeter of his basement and into most of the floor space. But once you go big like that, man does it get expensive. I look through Model Railroader magazine at some peoples' layouts in the $20 to $50K range and I'm just amazed. So many hand made details, years and years of building scenery, lighting. I just keep telling myself...one day, one day. lol
Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I love trains. I grew up with American Flyer S gauge trains in the 50's and still have them all plus lots more I've picked up over the years. My wife love steam loco's and we travel and ride them every chance we get.
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yeah.

I got my first education ( machine worker ) at the Danish railroads.

Never had a modeltrain as a kid, but now i do have a Little G- scale i run in my friends garden.

I am all steam and 1:20.3 narrow gauge, run a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 and a 0-4-0 in a loggin setup as thats what fit best on my friends layout in the garden.

We are planning to widen the narrow turns on my friends layout, so that larger models can get thru the turns and not look too stupid.

Sadly we can not go all the way in his garden, but thats okay too as modeltrains in this size are anything but cheap

Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Need to mount a camera on the front!! ^^ That's a cool view from a model train. And G scale is so big, you can probably get one inside the cab to look out the windshield.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Will do as i have a Innovv C1 camera to try out, and its smaller then the cams i have used before.

There is just 1 small problem, my train use to run and pull just about anything around the layout, but since we used it last in 2012 there is now 1 curve that will no longer let my train thru it without derailing the front 3 axles.
But i have not given up though i tried to fix it for 2 houres on wedensday, so when the sun come back and the rain stop later this week i will give it a try Again

If need be i will pull out the nails that secure the track and redo that curve.

Allso need to reprogram my sound bord in the train, but that will be done tomorrow as its just a matter of pluggin the train / soundbord into my computer and load another sound onto the bord ( phoenix sound pb11 )

I have misplaced my 4 box cars, so all i have to pull in the right scale is my 3 flat cars for witch i have not yet made some log loads.

PS. Allso the layout is much longer than in that clip, it now go around the green house and make a loop under itself, so its allmost doubled in lenght.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the radius on some of those curves looked tight.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Yeah most are LGB R2, but those will make way for R3 curves witch is allso what have been used on the newest part of the track.

R3 is still pretty tight ( 2.2 M DIA ), but its what my friend have desided on, and allso it would be problematic using larger curves in the small parts of the garden that we can use.

Allso we are now locked as the 2 Mountains house the filters for the pond, and it will be hard to move those as i made them of concrete, and there is several 100 Kg of that stuff.

The track is allso a bit overgrown these days, my friend is not that much of a garden man when it come to keeping the wheeds in check.
As said track have been idle since 2012, ans last summer was used Building a new fence, and the other hobbies we have.

Personally i dont own 1 inch of track, but i am thinking about making a sealing track in my living toom.

But cant do squat these days as there is no mony for fun stuff / toys

Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That's cool! Gotta love the laundry hanging from the line lol
Old 08-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Model trains was the first hobby I ever really stuck with. I've got all N scale stuff now as I can do a lot more in a smaller space. Its def. not as easy on the eyes but it makes the challenge that much better to gain the scale realism I like. At this point I don't have a layout setup when we moved a few years back I sold my tables and haven't rebuilt as I'm still working on sealing and finishing the basement in the new house. Once that's completed I'll start a new set. Thanks for the links and vids those are some great locos

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Did a Little running yesterday.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Love trains....second only to RC. Have a pile of HO and now some N stuff, just waiting for the kids to move out so I can play. (20 more years to go) Railfan when I can - NS country - and usually get a couple of steam trips in throughout the year.

Heading to Steamtown this weekend (to drool over the Big Boy) and Strasburg PA next weekend for the 1:1 Thomas. Kids go crazy over it, and I just love trains, so it's a win/win all around. Apparently they have a Percy now too, getting unveiled this weekend.

Hoping to get back to Horseshoe sometime this fall as well. Very impressive if you've never been there.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone into trains? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone into trains? aiden102408 Chit Chat 18 01-03-2013 12:26 PM
trains usa1man Chit Chat 1 11-25-2007 05:26 PM
anyone else into Lionel trains? gregrocks90046 Chit Chat 4 11-20-2007 06:39 PM
anyone into trains? Bronco Chit Chat 13 07-08-2007 09:32 PM