Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Q's Building a AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Q's Building a AR15

Well im new to this iv got the basic idea of it but theres just so many manufacturers, i dont know which direction to turn to should i go custom or buy a pre built and build off of that whats your thoughts?
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Q's Building a AR15

First step is figuring what you want to do with it. From there pick barrel twist that suits the task (1 in 9 is a good all-round) and pick parts.

Lowers can be assembled easily. Uppers easier to buy assembled.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not a fan of the ar platform, but can I ask why a ar ? Most people I know just like the way they look , or that can put pic rails on there and mount any combo of dozens of gadgets.
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

With the prices out there now, I would go with a pre built and customize it as you find the things you like. You can get a S&W MP15 base model in the $700 range. Good deals on Stags and Wyndhams, all under $900. Conversely you can get a loaded pre built from Wilson Combat or BCM for $2200.

If you want to build your dream, go components. I have a DPMS custom and a Wyndham pre built with some upgrades and both are nice rifles.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I like the Aero Precision & Mega Arms lowers, but as long as the lower is mil spec, you'll be GTG.

If I looking to get into an AR right now, this is a great way to start.

Complete lower.

PSA AR-15 Complete Classic Lower - No Magazine - Lowers - AR-15

That's only $30.00 more than a complete polymer lower.

Barreled upper assembly.

PSA 16" M4 Premium - Without BCG or Charging Handle - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

Add a BCG & charging handle.

AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 NiB 9310 MPI BDG Bolt Carrier Group

https://www.primaryarms.com/Strike_I..._p/si-arch.htm

Then all you need is as many PMags and as much ammo as you can get your hands on.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I recently picked up a S&W M&P 15. I bought it used from bro-in-law and have since put a bi-pod and a Burris 536 scope on it. I love it! With the AR platform you are getting a powerful rifle in a small lightweight package. Very versatile gun.
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

One of the guys at work said the dmps are milspec so get one of those on sale locally in the five range. Do not waste your money on a piston unless you are planning on dumping thousands of rounds at a time. Keep it insanley clean . A spec of dirt can stop one. Do not over lube it when you clean it, that can stop it to. We had two knights come in last week with chamber blown out of them. Hope the guys were right handed. Those are a mere seventy five hundred each. So I am sure the five hundred dollar ones are just as good. I know that I just made some peoples s list , but look at some other options before you buy. You can spend as much as you want on an ak . Mini 14 is cool. Best bang for you buck is a type 51 , lowly sks. Super cheap , lots of sweet parts . will fire if you leave it burried in the garden for a year or two. The top is heavy enough not to blow out shrapnel if something was to go wrong. Sorry for the semi rant. I am such not a fan of the ar.please just send your hate to me via pm.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Qs Building a AR15

I love my AKs as well, I have a couple different varients and all of them are great shooters.

That said, I've never really had an issue with any of my ARs.

Mind you I'm not running full auto, I'm not running 1000s of rounds through them w/o proper maintenance, nor am I using it in a hostile environment to defend my life.

If you feel an AK would better suit you, look into a new Zastava N-PAP from Atlantic Arms.

Century Arms N-PAP AK47 RIFLE RI2087-N

Great rifle at a great price.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Part two of the rant. Even though I all but hate them, and this kills me to say it , but I am unaware of any other assault weapon that even comes close to the long range accuracy . I would not even argue against it. Makes a great shooting platform . I would never want to be in any situation were my family or myself had to depend on one. Now on the other hand, give me a 1911 !!!!! The automatic hand gun was perfected over one hundred years ago.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

was looking at the Ak and found I didnt like the recoil and weight so I tried my Nephews S&W M&P 15 and fell in love with the weight, recoil and accuracy. Ive been totaling up parts and i might as well just buy a complete one so right now im looking at the S&W or Mossberg ar 15s i like the Socom look or Compact, style tying to stay under 900$ for the most part for now

but thanks guys for ur input just feeling out what the good or ok brands are
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would think twice about the Mossberg. I have serious doubts about their quality control,let me explain. I recently bought a Mossberg 500 12 gauge for sporting clays and home defense. I got the combo deal with both the 18 and 28 " barrels. After 75 rounds the gun started jamming and basically chewed itself apart. Before I shipped it back for repairs I put the plug back in the magazine tube. When I finally got it back (5 weeks+) I discovered their gun tech had jammed a second plug in the magazine tube! WTF! It was not fun trying to fish both plugs out. They had replaced the elevator and the gun seems to be ok now but I let them know about their mistake and made it clear I was not happy. Now I know many guys who have put thousands of rounds through their Mossberg 500's with zero issues but it seems I got a lemon. I shoot a lot of clays and am looking for another gun,def won't be a Mossberg.
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The M&P Sport is a good rifle, has the Melonite coated barrel which I hear is as durable as chrome, but no forward assist or dust cover.

The barrels on the PSAs are cold hammer forged, chrome lined and made by FN, one of the best IMO.

Another option if low recoil is desired is an AK74 chambered in 5.45x39 or an Ak Chambered in 223.

A 223 Siaga, Vepr, or Zastava would be a great foundation.

To be honest, my favorite rifle is my AK74.

Last edited by dezfan; 09-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
The M&P Sport is a good rifle, has the Melonite coated barrel which I hear is as durable as chrome, but no forward assist or dust cover.

The barrels on the PSAs are cold hammer forged, chrome lined and made by FN, one of the best IMO.

Another option if low recoil is desired is an AK74 chambered in 5.45x39 or an Ak Chambered in 223.

A 223 Siaga, Vepr, or Zastava would be a great foundation.

To be honest, my favorite rifle is my AK74.
YES>

I'm no fan of the lame charging handle setup that requires the shooter to get out of firing positing to clear jams, misfeeds, etc. AK punches through brush better and can take abuse. That said the other platform generally has better accuracy, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Several different calibers are available in both platforms as somebody else pointed out.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Q's Building a AR15 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's this AR15 worth klabeaume Chit Chat 11 01-09-2013 12:58 PM
building a tlt, got some custom q's emaxxjeremy Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 12-26-2004 08:49 PM