Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

Just like the title asks. Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

I have had a pain in my lower back that has gotten increasingly worse over the last few years. It's to the point now I have asked a few people I know about a chiropractor but they tell me it's basically a temporary relief. I'm 26 years old, 6'1" and 300 pounds. I'm tired of having this feeling in my back.

I believe it has a lot to do with the crappy stools that we use at work. Since every day after work my back hurts worse then going in. And the fact I'm over weight doesn't help.

But none the less could anyone give me any advice on this subject? Any help positive or negative would be great. Thanks.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren View Post
And the fact I'm over weight doesn't help.
This
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I know one person who swears by her's but honestly, I can't see how they would do much more than a chiropractor. If you get one, don't get a cheap one.

Just get out on the trails with your crawler more. You'll lose weight and strengthen your core.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:

I have had a pain in my lower back that has gotten increasingly worse over the last few years. It's to the point now I have asked a few people I know about a chiropractor but they tell me it's basically a temporary relief. I'm 26 years old, 6'1" and 300 pounds. I'm tired of having this feeling in my back.

I believe it has a lot to do with the crappy stools that we use at work. Since every day after work my back hurts worse then going in. And the fact I'm over weight doesn't help.

But none the less could anyone give me any advice on this subject? Any help positive or negative would be great. Thanks.

Back pain sucks. Not many things help. Inversion table is one of those things you try and seem to help, but after a little while becomes more trouble than the help it provides.

Thats my 2 cents.

Coming from a guy who is 6'5" 310 lbs. I have been 450 down to 260, and my back was much much worse at 260. I think core strength is the key. Yoga, and stretching are best. I do neither, but have been told it really helps.

Chiropractors help. But they are more like dope dealers, or at least the ones I have seen. They crack your back, and tell you to come back in 2 days.

I just had an MRI on Friday, I know I have several problems, Scoliosis, and bone spurs, plus narrowing of the spinal canal ( stenosis ). It is time for me to get some of it fixed. Not excited at the idea of back surgery at 40, but also not looking forward to eating pain pills 3 or 4 times a day.

A good back brace can help. I am going to have a really good one prescribed from the doctor. The good ones are expensive ( $400-$700) so the doctor saying OK, means it should be free, I met my out of pocket this year so I am getting everything dealt with before the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
This

Having been fat, really fat, incredibly ****ing fat, and now just fat again, knees, feet, legs are really dependent, the back not so much so. I am not saying it means nothing, but it is not the end all be all.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
I know one person who swears by her's but honestly, I can't see how they would do much more than a chiropractor. If you get one, don't get a cheap one.

Just get out on the trails with your crawler more. You'll lose weight and strengthen your core.

The cheap ones really do suck. They need to be built well. The $100 models all have low weight limits.

And I second, and even third the core.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My wife uses an inversion table daily and it has helped immensely. She has stenosis and a bulging disk and this has been the best relief so far (chiropractic care helped some in the past, but the inversion table was more helpful). 5 or 10 minutes a day seems to be plenty for her. You will have to watch the weight limits, some seem to be rated around 250 lbs.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
The good ones are expensive ( $400-$700)
Phffft! $19.99 WalMart
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Phffft! $19.99 WalMart
I used to have the inversion boots with a hook. Use a pull up bar and hang upside down. Until the time the rope broke that I pulled myself back up with. Hanging outside, upside down for 40 minutes until someone heard me yelling . The rope and pulley system would have been nice.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I used to have the inversion boots with a hook. Use a pull up bar and hang upside down. Until the time the rope broke that I pulled myself back up with. Hanging outside, upside down for 40 minutes until someone heard me yelling . The rope and pulley system would have been nice.
Not funny, but still funny.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Being a large mammal myself, 6'3 and 330. With some back pain in years past, chiropractic care helps but it's temporary. Core strength and physical activity are the only things that have consistently helped me.

Haven't tried inversion anything, seems everything is made for midgets.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Being a large mammal myself, 6'3 and 330. With some back pain in years past, chiropractic care helps but it's temporary. Core strength and physical activity are the only things that have consistently helped me.

Haven't tried inversion anything, seems everything is made for midgets.
A friend uses an inversion table and says it helps, chiropractor is good too (get referral dont' just pick one out of the phone book), lose weight, strengthen your core, do yoga, etc.

Anybody says that 300 lbs aint making that much difference is kidding themselves. All that weight is pulling on your belly, and bowing your back....not to mention what iti's doing to your feet, ankles, legs, knees, etc. Search for Hellhedded's thread about weight loss and getting in shape.

EDIT: OP, stools and or any hunched over a bench, desk etc. at work all day is hard on the back and kneck. At break time go for 15 minute brisk walk and drink plenty of water, not ****ing soda.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Your weight is the issue. Your skeleton is dragging twice the amount of weight that it should otherwise. Whatever you do for a short term pain relief, go for a long term target of reducing weight. Nothing else than reducing your weight and cushioning your skeleton with muscle mass will be a full proof solution. Do you want the same pain to acompany you when you are 27 , 28 or even in your 30's and 40's? No one is going to share that pain with you except you! At the most your loved ones, friends will do is give you mental support and at the most a temporary solution by doctors. Consider your weight as your enemy and take a strong stand and fight back. You won't achieve anything worthwhile immediately, as its gonna take a years time for you to come to a considerable weight loss by putting in efforts each and every day. That's a pretty long way to go. Take into account a longer time perspective and achieve what you need to achieve for a healthy life. Otherwise take into account the body pain, surgeries, medical bill, depression, problems at an young age and multiple problems in an old age and many more associated issues.

The well know saying 'muscles increase your metabolism'. Use it to your advantage.
I hope everything goes well for you.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

X2 on the core strengthening and weight loss. Pilates is excellent for core strength. Yoga is okay for core strength but better for flexibility, and flexibility is critical. I've had back issues since I was in HS (though never due to weight -always been pretty lean). I spent years learning and trying different things. The most helpful have been Pilates, yoga, and learning how to stretch properly. For back issues, you need to keep glutes, hamstrings and calves loose before you can loosen your back. Otherwise, your back will tighten back up almost immediately. After years of working on it, I can now maintain with minimal issues with some basic core work and stretching exercises that've picked up over the years (10-15 min/day). Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I have daily back pain myself and it started a few years back on a very physically demanding job. You need to get it looked at by a good Dr before you do anything. I was going to do the inversion table and try some other things but the Dr said I might have ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life if I had. I was in good shape when it happened could do 100 push ups no problem 50 pull-ups and 100 sit ups or crunches is the main difference. It has ended up that my neck and lower back especially are just worn out and they have now done surgery on my neck to fuse 3 discs but I still have major issues and so far with my lower back injections have been helping a little. Its a long rough and tough road and very painful. I got hurt at 30 and I am now 38 and getting worse in some ways as time goes by. I wish you the best and hope things get better for you.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Im about your frame and age, I'm 24 6'1 the highest I weighted a fee years back was 256 and my back pain was pretty bad, now I'm 205 and I feel great! Start with loosing weight it will help
Chesebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Medicinal........
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

just wait till you guys hit 40... if it hurts now, ohh baby... it's gonna really hurt latter.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Lots of good advice here.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
just wait till you guys hit 40... if it hurts now, ohh baby... it's gonna really hurt latter.
I'm almost there! Still think being a grown up sucks...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

I'm in the military so they pay for all my treatments , but I've had back pain for somewhere around 10 years now and am about to turn 35 , but feel like. 60. I'm not overweight 175/ up to. 195 now 5'11" didn't find out what was wrong for the longest time till the chiropractor looked at my MRI in 07 and said that I have a pars defect with spondeo listhesis Sp. which could affect it. Chiropractor worked well, physical therapy did somewhat as strengthening my core. I've always had pain episodes regardless though. This last one has started differently and basically put be down so bad I couldn't move without strong pain meds (hydro condone/Valium ). Used to take trams sol but built up a tolerance to where it doesn't work anymore!Don't like taking the Valium or flexeril either since they make me sleepy the next day after taking it ! So I switched to robaxin. I know meds are just a bandaid over a gunshot. Have an appointment today and hope to get another MRI to ensure nothing else slipped more. I hope to continue my core strengthening exercises after they say I can. I've always had tight hamstrings no matter how much I stretch ! I can't have anything pulling my torso apart without massive pain so haven't tried the inversion thing for fear of pain. Hopefully I can get on a acupuncturists schedule for the pain management soon. Tired of having to schedule my driving / etc in pain so I don't DUI and my life being a blur !
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone use an inversion table for back pain? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so much pain in the world johnnyh66 Chit Chat 2 11-19-2013 05:25 PM
Pain from sneezing? demonoid369 Chit Chat 3 10-19-2011 04:05 AM
Anyone here ever go to a pain managment Dr? wrx-n-ktm Chit Chat 18 01-14-2011 08:31 AM
Doing the Mod's are pain.. UPNOVER General Crawlers 1 02-14-2006 10:51 AM