Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Connecting two wireless routers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Connecting two wireless routers

I have 2 - WRT54G's and would like to connect them together. Here is how they are set up now. Router A is on the main floor of my house and connected to my cable modem, router B is in the attic on the second floor of my house. I have a cable ran to from router A to a numbered port on router B. I would like to know how to set up these two routers to work together. TIA

Craig
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I'm not 100% on this, but I think you need to set up Router A as the gateway (under Setup > Advanced Routing) since it's the one that's connected to the internet, I assume. Router B needs to be set as the other option; Router. The cable in between needs to be connected to a numbered port on A and into the Internet port on B.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Vu14TJ...

With the stock Linksys firmware, you cannot do what you are trying to do. The WRT54G is strictly a Access Point for wireless, no matter how you configure it if you stay with the stock firware.

To do what you are trying to do you'll need to flash an opensource firmware (like OpenWRT) onto one of the routers and configure that with the proper packages to set up the second as a Wireless Bridge.. If you're not comfortable with command line Linux/Unix environments, go to Best Buy and pick up a retail Wireless Bridge.

-J
hunter306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

one dosnt give you enough coverage? why would you want 2?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hunter, it sounds to me like Router B is connected to A via ethernet.
This is how I would do it.
Router A, no changes are needed.
Router B, go into setup. In the LAN IP settings, turn off the DHCP server and give it a static IP outside the DHCP range of Router A. This is so you can still administer the box.
The ethernet cable goes into a numbered port on both routers. Any PC wirelessly (or via ethernet for that matter) connecting to Router B will get its settings (IP, gateway and DNS) from Router A.
This only works when connecting the two via ethernet.
I currently use a Linksys RT31P2 as my main router (for Vonage), and a Netgear WGR614 for wireless.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yes, they are connected with an ethernet cable. Will the both have the same SSID?
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'd give 'em different SSID's. I don't even think it'd work if they were the same. All that is configurable from each router. The only changes you're making is to the LAN portion, not wireless. You don't even need to touch the WAN portion of Router B at all either, just don't plug anything in to it.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote