Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: UTV/SxS - Looking at getting one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default UTV/SxS - Looking at getting one.

So I've been tossing around the idea of selling my Jeep and picking up a UTV or Side by Side.

So far I've been attracted to the Kawasaki Teryx, Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, and Can-Am Commander 800R.

What model do you have and what don't you like about it? I'm planing on going to a couple of bike shops this weekend and seeing how I sit in them(I'm 6'2") before making any more decisions.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: UTV/SxS - Looking at getting one.

can am I think has the most room. I almost picked one up. im 6'2" also. I just don't like side by sides. I got a raptor instead.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what is it that you want to do with the SxS that you cant do with the jeep?

i know they are the in thing to do/have right now, but the prices you can have a decent jeep, and be street legal, drive it to work, the trail, haul more/the same people, tow, etc.

just curious.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I went to a local offroad event recently and was surprised by just how many UTVs there are compared to quads/bikes now. I knew they have become popular but I'd have to estimate at least 80% of vehicles there were UTVs followed by everything else.

Of all the UTVs, I'd also say about 80% of them are Polaris RZRs, 15% are Can-Ams, and the rest are Yamaha/Kawasaki/Arctic Cat.

Honestly the only things I've seen them do is carry coolers and be more comfortable to ride in at these events, but you can fit them on smaller trails. For field work they're pretty awesome, if you get a model with a decent bed you can carry a lot with it, even the Commander being a half-half type can still carry some equipment in the bed but be fun after work as well. They cost as much as cars though so I guess it really depends on what you can't do with your Jeep that you think you'll do with a SxS.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

i know they are the in thing to do/have right now, but the prices you can have a decent jeep, and be street legal, drive it to work, the trail, haul more/the same people, tow, etc.

just curious.
I used to think the same thing until I saw a guy and his girlfriend out blasting in the mountains while I was mountain biking. Not many (if any) street legal truck could have kept up with them. Not sure what they had, but it was a beast.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My vote, polaris rzr. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. I have driven both, and an SxS is more versatile for play and can go more places in general than a jeep.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I spend a lot of time in the dunes with groups of people that do Dunes and Trail and they said Polaris and Yamaha are the best.

Polaris RZR 1000 (either non-Turbo or Turbo). Or get an older RZR 900 that's had a ton of upgrades and turbo added with a ton of options.

Or, if you like to shift, Yamaha YZX 1000.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Recently had a Yamaha Rhino stolen.. but when I had it, it was a ton of fun. Not going to lie though. They are huge money pits, always wanting to make them stronger / faster/ better. Stuff breaks, you either fix it or upgrade it. Much like Rc.. except on a bigger scale.

These things are great, but consider what you want the UTV for. Rzr's, Can Am Mavericks, YZX's etc. have little cargo space. So if you just want a fast toy, go for it.

If you want more of workhorse/cargo space, the ones you mentioned are the right class to look at. More utility than sport.

Also need to consider how much you want to spend. New are crazy expensive. You can find used ones going for much less. Usually have lots of upgrades, and lots of people are selling them due to insufficient use / upgrading to the newest thing.

Yamaha, Can Am, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Kawasaki's, all good. Up to you. Some have more aftermarket and more support in general. The possibilities with these little tractors are endless.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

just curious.
I don't need the jeep any more, it pretty much sits in the garage. T he one thing I can't do in the Jeep is go on a tv trails due to the 50" width limitation. The Arctic Cat Trail is a 60+hp go cart that can go on all of these federal trails that are limited in width. I'm not into the 1:1 crawling as much either, more so the adventure type, see where paths lead. Also, in AZ, UatVs can be street legal, just need a few add ons and I can take it to the corner grocery store if I want.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
I spend a lot of time in the dunes with groups of people that do Dunes and Trail and they said Polaris and Yamaha are the best.

Polaris RZR 1000 (either non-Turbo or Turbo). Or get an older RZR 900 that's had a ton of upgrades and turbo added with a ton of options.

Or, if you like to shift, Yamaha YZX 1000.
Polaris was first to market, that's why they are so popular. But with all the recall issues they've been having, I think I'd steer clear of them.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have a 2013 maverick and so far it has been great... no problems. I have been looking at getting another one because my wife always wants to drive. I have my jeep for sale to get another SXS.

Yamaha YXZ SS.. I drove one at Dunefest and the paddle shifting was great but it's geared to high for trail ridding. It only has 112 hp and it's low on power compared to the turbo models from can am and polaris.

Polaris RZR........ Recalls are killing it. There are people who have had all the recalls done and it's still caught on fire. They say everything is fixed for 2017 but only time will tell.

Can am X3......... This machine is a BEAST !! There are 3 models... one for everyone. I am looking at getting the XRS model, it's 72 inches wide and has 24 inches of travel with fox 3.0 internal bypass shocks. The wheelbase is 102 inches and it should have a great ride. Oh yea it's 154 HP !!!

Arctic Cat............ In Feb of 2017 they will have a all new machine... for now they have NO POWER. The H1 motor is worthless.

I would spend some time on forums just getting info. I have spent the last year waiting for all the 2017 models to hit the street..... if you have any questions shoot me a message.

Last edited by k goodrich; 09-20-2016 at 11:50 PM.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

pics
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Good times the new X3 XRS and me at the Oregon Coast
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Search Dirt Trax T.V. and find the episode where they test the Arctic Cat Trail against the Razer.
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Cooming from a raptor and now having become 10 years older, one of these are on my list for sure if i ever come into some money ( and we have 0 places here to drive them )

Do miss stunting the raptor, but i feel like loosing 2 wheels so a regular bike build for stunting will probably set my wrinkly 50 year old ass on fire
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote

UTV/SxS - Looking at getting one. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SXS rides. Reflection 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 10 04-07-2016 05:12 PM
Crazy UTV video bvrc Chit Chat 9 11-10-2014 07:38 PM
looks fun utv joesbruiser Chit Chat 13 12-24-2008 02:27 PM
Waterproofing SxS packs? redrum_racer Electronics 4 12-31-2006 11:16 PM