Default Re: Happy Birthday Camaro!

Seeing those two pics the first thought I had,
"You've come a long way, baby!"
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So many good things came out of 66, and im one of them

And judging by that date im only a month older than Camaro, and i would love me a 67 SS
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIjyD721XY

badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ken Deckman bought the first camaro sold to the public (#6 produced as #1-5 went to gm's trans am racing program.) It was ordered with no insulation, back seat, sound deadener, spare tire etc etc etc etc. It did come with the z/28 package including the dz code 302. The truck lid was fiberglass with a built in spoiler and inside the truck was a bunch of performance parts including a cross ram intake. It was all gm parts and Ken knew someone back east is the only way the hookup hapoened.

He bought the camaro, a 67 chevy 1/2 ton pickup and a 18' flat bed trailer from his local gm dealership for $10,000 out the door. They were all painted the same marina blue.

My uncle was the 2nd owner of the car from about '90 till 2014. It was restored by super chevy magazine under the header of "revival of the fittest" it was featured 9 times in that series. It came out like crap. The fenders are cheap repops, the door shells are tweaked etc. Meh, it was destined for the track and that's where it lives to this day now campaigned by some schmuck business guy that likes to make believe he's a driver running a vintage series.

My whole family has had camaro and my oldest brother still has a cat fish that I'm waiting to be wrecked so I can pull the ls1/6 speed combo out.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ken Deckman bought the first camaro sold to the public (#6 produced as #1-5 went to gm's trans am racing program.) It was ordered with no insulation, back seat, sound deadener, spare tire etc etc etc etc. It did come with the z/28 package including the dz code 302. The truck lid was fiberglass with a built in spoiler and inside the truck was a bunch of performance parts including a cross ram intake. It was all gm parts and Ken knew someone back east is the only way the hookup hapoened.

He bought the camaro, a 67 chevy 1/2 ton pickup and a 18' flat bed trailer from his local gm dealership for $10,000 out the door. They were all painted the same marina blue.

My uncle was the 2nd owner of the car from about '90 till 2014. It was restored by super chevy magazine under the header of "revival of the fittest" it was featured 9 times in that series. It came out like crap. The fenders are cheap repops, the door shells are tweaked etc. Meh, it was destined for the track and that's where it lives to this day now campaigned by some schmuck business guy that likes to make believe he's a driver running a vintage series.

My whole family has had camaro and my oldest brother still has a cat fish that I'm waiting to be wrecked so I can pull the ls1/6 speed combo out.
Why the F would your uncle sell it? Why the F did they put repro parts on it?

The Rustang AKA crowd killer was first, but the Camaro did it better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Super chevy paid for the restoration so it got the parts they put on it unless he wanted to pay for something different. He didn't really get too upset because racecar.

He paid $8000 for the car and was offered $45,000 on the way home with it and turned it down. Ken made him agree to keep it until he was dead. Ken has been gone for many years now so my uncle kept his deal. My uncle was offered an obscene amount of money for the car and turned it down... right before the 2008 crash. He ended up selling it for just a bit over half of the big offer which was well into 6 figures.

He sold the car because it was more of a pain in the butt to maintain than his purple 69 that he raced in the same series. The 69 was/is an undocumented z/28 so it's not worth much so he had more fun racing it until last year when he finally retired at 75.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Super chevy paid for the restoration so it got the parts they put on it unless he wanted to pay for something different. He didn't really get too upset because racecar.

He paid $8000 for the car and was offered $45,000 on the way home with it and turned it down. Ken made him agree to keep it until he was dead. Ken has been gone for many years now so my uncle kept his deal. My uncle was offered an obscene amount of money for the car and turned it down... right before the 2008 crash. He ended up selling it for just a bit over half of the big offer which was well into 6 figures.

He sold the car because it was more of a pain in the butt to maintain than his purple 69 that he raced in the same series. The 69 was/is an undocumented z/28 so it's not worth much so he had more fun racing it until last year when he finally retired at 75.
I didn't realize he was still racing it. Makes complete sense.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Birthday Camaro! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Birthday to me ax10 Nebraska 7 09-11-2010 07:26 PM
Happy Birthday to all the Birthday boys today! Thorsteenster Chit Chat 4 07-12-2008 09:54 PM
Happy Birthday BD! mississippirocs Chit Chat 38 11-24-2007 11:09 PM
Happy Birthday Tc YoUnG_vErSiOn Chit Chat 16 02-06-2007 06:24 AM
Happy Birthday to me. cheapjeep2 Chit Chat 18 12-01-2005 11:28 PM