Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Latest samsung android update, can it get any worse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Latest samsung android update, can it get any worse?

Dunno where to even look for answers, there never seems to be a shortage of tech-savvy members on here, so maybe someone can help before I shoot this damn phone.

2 weeks ago, another 'mandatory' upgrade that I postponed until it just self-installed (so much for the promise of full user control ). Now when I type a text, certain words will light up like a hot key to substitute a stupid f-ing smiley face for the actual word. I absolutely hate this 'feature', CS says that you can't turn it off. I find that too hard to believe. Has anyone figured out a way to dump that stupid feature?

2nd thing that I noticed a few days ago- when typing a text, if certain seemingly random words get linked, they become a hot link. Today, as I typed the word Mt. Bike, it not only became a hot link but also forced an ad into my message that showed how that domain is available for purchase. A phone call to verizion an hour ago got me nowhere, they claim that there's nothing wrong with the phone or text app. I simply don't believe them anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been on the edge of tossing the phone and going back to a simple, basic LG flip phone. I'm sick of trying to surf the webz, only to have a non-stop barrage of gargle sponsored ads clutter up the web page.

The phone is a Galaxy S5.

Last edited by BigSki; 03-11-2017 at 05:51 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Latest samsung android update, can it get any worse?

after the update on my samsung, the phone will start ringing and does not show caller id or any phone function until the 5th or 6th ring...
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

What model Samsung and what do you have? There are many ways to gain control over most every feature of your phone especially ads. I'd be glad to try and help. Have you cleared your Davlik cache yet?
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sorry, the phone info would be helpful to anyone trying to help!

Galaxy S5 sport.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok so the update you should have just done is "6.0.1 Marshmallow"? You can confirm this by going to settings and then scroll down to "about phone". First thing to do anytime you're having an issue is clear the Davlik. Do this and let me know if your problem still persists

How to clear you Davlik:

1. Turn off your Galaxy S5.

2. Press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons simultaneously.

3. You can release them when you see the Samsung logo with Recovery booting written in blue at the very top of the screen.

4. You will be brought to the Android System Recovery screen.

5. Use the volume buttons to scroll down the list to highlight Wipe Cache Partition then press the Power button to confirm.

7. You'll see a notification at the bottom of the screen in yellow to show that the system cache has been wiped.

8. If Reboot System Now is not already highlighted, use the volume keys to highlight Reboot System Now and press the Power button to confirm.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the instructions. I've tried a half dozen times, I never get the recovery booting in blue that you mention, it goes straight to the unlock SIM card screen, then the screen unlock.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Apparently the 7th try is the charm..

I got the manual mode screen, I opted for the cache partition wipe out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Makes me glad I bought a Pixel before that update hit. My S5 was getting progressively worse with every update.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My wife's phone (Note 4) started having issues when it updated. It would lag and you couldn't unlock it, wouldn't respond to touches, texting became almost impossible and eventually it went into a reboot/load loop. We did everything short of wiping clean and starting again. She got in touch with Samsung and they acknowledged it is a problem on the Note 4 and said to send it to them to repair or replace. We're sending it off sometime next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
Makes me glad I bought a Pixel before that update hit. My S5 was getting progressively worse with every update.

How do you like the Pixel? I'm thinking about that next for me but not sure yet. I'm using a Mega 2 right now and don't know if the features are worth the smaller size.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

This is why I do not and will not own a smart phone..I'm not nearly smart enough.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
This is why I do not and will not own a smart phone..I'm not nearly smart enough.

It will be hard for companies and government to data mine you.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Wipe the phone in recovery, then update. Google brings back all your apps and contacts. Trying to dirty update never works out well. My phone keeps trying to go to 7.0, but I am going to pass for now.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Good deal. Clearing your Davlik may help or it may not but that's certainly the first place to start. The same goes for any Android based phone. Dalvik is a mobile-optimized version of a Java Virtual Machine. In simple terms it runs the programs/apps on your phone and then saves information so that when you run that program/app again it's faster and performs better. When you update, older versions of any given program/app on your phone are supposed to be overwritten by the new versions but that doesn't always happen. This is why you can experience problems with a program/app not running properly. Your Davlik is using old information to run a revised program/app. Clearing your Davlik removes all that old information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Apparently the 7th try is the charm..

I got the manual mode screen, I opted for the cache partition wipe out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
RCC Addict

No disrespect meant but wiping your phone should be your last option when experiencing problems. If setup properly Google will save your contacts, pics and most apps and games so they can be downloaded again however when you wipe your phone most of the "saved data" for your apps and games will be deleted and cannot be restored. If you have games on your phone you could lose this data and have to start that game over from new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Wipe the phone in recovery, then update. Google brings back all your apps and contacts. Trying to dirty update never works out well. My phone keeps trying to go to 7.0, but I am going to pass for now.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

and not updating as the they are pushed causes problems as well.

Samsung makes the OS update for your phone, the carrier adds/subtracts from it, then pushes over the air. Thats why an S7 from AT&T will not have same options/menus as an S7 from Verizon.

By not doing the update from your carrier will cause issues with connections, security patches, and host of compatibly issues with apps that update expecting to see patches that should be on the OS.

Phones like the Google Pixel don't see this issue as Google mandates the phone be unmolested by the carrier.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
.... Today, as I typed the word Mt. Bike, it not only became a hot link but also forced an ad into my message that showed how that domain is available for purchase......
I have an S7, and run pretty much stock from the store, and just finished the Android 7 update. What messaging app are you using? stock Messages's app? Verizon's Message+? Facebook Messenger or some other app?

I use the stock Messages app. If Verizon or facebook, thats where the ad injection is coming from, and probably the source of your emoji issue as well.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
No disrespect meant but wiping your phone should be your last option when experiencing problems. If setup properly Google will save your contacts, pics and most apps and games so they can be downloaded again however when you wipe your phone most of the "saved data" for your apps and games will be deleted and cannot be restored. If you have games on your phone you could lose this data and have to start that game over from new.

I don't play games on my phone so I have never noticed.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Dunno where to even look for answers, there never seems to be a shortage of tech-savvy members on here, so maybe someone can help before I shoot this damn phone.

2 weeks ago, another 'mandatory' upgrade that I postponed until it just self-installed (so much for the promise of full user control ). Now when I type a text, certain words will light up like a hot key to substitute a stupid f-ing smiley face for the actual word. I absolutely hate this 'feature', CS says that you can't turn it off. I find that too hard to believe. Has anyone figured out a way to dump that stupid feature?

2nd thing that I noticed a few days ago- when typing a text, if certain seemingly random words get linked, they become a hot link. Today, as I typed the word Mt. Bike, it not only became a hot link but also forced an ad into my message that showed how that domain is available for purchase. A phone call to verizion an hour ago got me nowhere, they claim that there's nothing wrong with the phone or text app. I simply don't believe them anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been on the edge of tossing the phone and going back to a simple, basic LG flip phone. I'm sick of trying to surf the webz, only to have a non-stop barrage of gargle sponsored ads clutter up the web page.

The phone is a Galaxy S5.

I loved the MOAR rom on my S5 ( sprint ). It included ad blockers, and the battery would go a legit 2 days. But you will have to flash it yourself. It is easy enough with a computer and a little reading.

Try opera browser, it blocks the ads. When I went to the S7 on Verizon I have left it alone, there is not the development there was for the S5. The ads make me crazy. I use Opera on my computers, so on the phone it synced all my favorites, passwords, and kills the crap that makes the internet unusable.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by struhall View Post
My wife's phone (Note 4) started having issues when it updated. It would lag and you couldn't unlock it, wouldn't respond to touches, texting became almost impossible and eventually it went into a reboot/load loop. We did everything short of wiping clean and starting again. She got in touch with Samsung and they acknowledged it is a problem on the Note 4 and said to send it to them to repair or replace. We're sending it off sometime next week.
How do you like the Pixel? I'm thinking about that next for me but not sure yet. I'm using a Mega 2 right now and don't know if the features are worth the smaller size.

I'm now having issues with the phone lagging and being slow to respond to the screen being touched. I've had a few websites that I'm always going to now becoming scrambled when I try to navigate.

I don't know what to think about a gargle pixle, 95% of the popup ads I get ( that get around the pop up blocker) have gargles name attached to them as an 'ad chocie'.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Windows phone ftw.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Latest samsung android update, can it get any worse? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Azzmans latest latest Tube Chassis azzman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 01-25-2014 09:33 AM
latest update...gecko pro chino438 Tamiya Clod Buster 3 03-25-2007 09:02 PM