Notices

Thread: Yearly vehicle inspections?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yearly vehicle inspections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
And i'm all for Thinning the Herd, but its not cool to rear end an innocent person because your vehicle is a complete piece of crap and the at fault driver has no insurance usually.
That's been my experience - had three in one year awhile back in KY.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #22
~THE SCALE SHOP~

in texas we pay $7 for inspection. well really $14, but only 7 at time of inspection now, and since our inspection stickers and tag stickers are now one in the same, we pay the other 7 at the time you pay for tags (after electronic proof has been sent you got inspection)

luckily in my area we dont have emissions testing. some larger citys in texas do. that would suck for me. havent had any cats in 15 years + big cams.
ive got all the usual illigal lights, tint, etc. but the thing i fight the most with inspections is my exhaust dumping under the seats. thats the one i have to find a shady shop for.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Some shops don't inspect anything. They slap a sticker on it, take the easy money, and move onto the next job. Others, namely dealers, are complete bastards. That's what I won't get my car inspected at a dealership.
Dealerships are for warranty and recall work... That's it.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
And they're often not even good for that.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I got two years of free oil changes when I bought my truck and I was soooo happy when they finally ran out just so I wouldn't have to go back.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #26
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
We specifically moved into Berks. The tax difference alone from Montgomery was astounding.

I just got my pop's truck passed last week with no pads on the parking brake. Not as super thorough as you might think.
I'm not far from you and no pads on the parking brake would have failed no question where I take my stuff for inspection. If the parking brake doesn't hold enough they will fail it. I forgot to adjust my parking brake shoes when putting on new rotors.(the hat had a bigger ID than the old ones) It didn't hold enough for the shops taste and they failed it. There are shops around whoms inspection license doesn't mean as much to them as other shops so they pass stuff they really shouldn't or are just too lazy to check.

PA inspections have gotten carried away IMO. especially emissions inspection. A visual inspection on the emissions equipment and cap pressure check is required in my county. The emissions inspection basically doubles the cost of the inspection bill and does zero for road safety. If the vehicle is emissions exempt (less than 5k miles a year, older diesels, old classic vehicle) you have to pay and exemption fee. Its a money maker.

I can see the argument for a safety inspection but don't get carried away. In the rust belt where road salt is used things do deteriorate much more quickly than they will in places that do not see those conditions, not going to argue that.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

My state, Wisconsin, only 7 counties out of 72 requires biannual emission inspections.

Most of these 7 counties lies between the cities of Milwaukee and Chiago where the traffic are the highest in the state.

I'm thankful that I live on the other side of the state and never experienced an inspection requirement of any kind in almost 30 years.

I just pay my yearly registration fee via mail or internet and go on my way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

in the area where I live some inspection centers are not service shops, they can only pass or fail you and tell you what is wrong then you take your car elsewhere for repair. Keeps the questionable repairs off the table because they can't fix it for you.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Here's a fun one for PA....

Let's say you have a cool off-road vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler. According to PA inspection laws you can't change the fender flares from OEM, they can't be more than 3" wide, and tires must be completely covered by fenders/flares. That's real fun huh...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

In Illinois, all registered trucks 3/4 ton and over are required to get inspected every 6 months, certain weight trailers get inspections also, but not sure of the spec, I think it's trailers equipped with brakes. Emissions testing on all vehicles made after 1967, there are separate testing stations for gas and diesel.

New vehicles are exempt for the first 4 years for vehicles built after 1996. Emission tests are valid for 2 years, but you have to pass the emission test to renew your state registration.

Last edited by Mike Flea; 08-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #31
dkf
Rock Crawler

In most states once you get over 3000lbs GVW the trailer needs brakes. There is federal law on it and state law. You can see below for them. I have one trailer with brakes on both axles and have to get it inspected, I think it is around $35 just for the inspection. So bend over and take it every year whether you use the trailer or not. When you have several vehicles and trailers it is a PITA dealing with the inspections.

Here is the trailer brake law broken down.
http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/TRAILERLAWS2012.pdf
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i havent heard of this but it would be great for me and fellow hot rodders
its been a struggle to find hole in the walls to do inspections that will "look the other way" on my cars

Here you go= Texas Legislature Online - 85(R) History for SB 1588
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #33

Good discussion all around, like stang killa, I don't have to get emission testing, so it's just you got 4 tires with tread, vehicle stops, low and high beams work, tail lights work, turn indicators work and wipers are ok, inspection pass, it's a total joke. I wouldn't mind it so much if they were actually checking things like head light alignment and color but they don't and it pisses me off because every night I'm blinded by some jackhole that either has miss aligned headlights or the cheap blue colored HIDs that don't really do anything except to piss everybody off. Also it's just a reason to try and sell you something, living close to a college town, you see it every time.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Not sure on other states, but in NC in a car all your windows have to pass a tint test. But if you own a van, truck, or SUV, only the front two have to pass. You can cover the rears completely, spray paint 'em, put up mini blinds, whatever. That's dumb as hell. And I forgot about the dipshits with the stupid colored headlight bulbs trying to fool people into thinking they're econo shitbox is a high end car.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Here its biannual when your brand new car get over 4 years old, this was meant to improve vehicle safety on the Danish streets.
But at the same time the inspection places got privatized and that have lead to you being able to have the biggest rust bucket pass inspection.
Not sure if that's due to the prevailing incompetence in Danish society or if money are paid under the table,,,,,,,,,, O wait Denmark are one of the least corrupt societies in the world,,,,,,,, yeah right

Quite the same here in France, if you know the controller or your garage know him, you can pass a piece of sh**

After 4 year for a new car, every 2 years after that (30yo+ with a "collection title" are every 5y)
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Maryland has a state inspection program that requires a light duty/passenger vehicle to be inspected prior to getting permanent tags/registration, but that's it. No other safety inspections until the car is sold and the new owner needs to get tags. Right after your newly inspected/registered vehicle hits the road, you'll get the notification for an emissions test if you live in the largest populated counties, which once you pass, is good for 2 years.

The inspection process is pretty through if done by a legitimate inspection station. Brakes, tires, wheel alignment, lights functioning, windows working correctly, no major body rot/solid floor pans, good exhaust, no chips in windshield, headliner not drooping ( must be there, I've tried tearing one out years ago and failed because it wasn't there.) No suspension mods. The State cops can pull you over and issue an 'equipment violation' ( fix-it ticket) if they see something very wrong with a car on the road.

I've witnessed some pretty crappy cars on the roads that probably needed to be in a junk yard for safety's sake. Why should anyone be allowed to jeopardize other peoples safety just because they don't want to/can't afford to maintain their car? I'd be supportive of a bi-annual inspection process.

Last edited by BigSki; 08-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Yearly vehicle inspections? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yearly Maintenance? kduchow Newbie General 1 03-12-2015 03:00 PM
Looking into a new vehicle ! zjherna1 Newbie General 1 04-10-2011 12:14 AM
First Vehicle? Cslax06 Chit Chat 30 02-28-2008 06:33 PM