Notices

Thread: New Show on History Channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Show on History Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Pickers pisses me off like Pawn stars does. People are just too happy to get ripped off nowadays.
"Pawn Stars" was amusing for the first couple of seasons. Then, the more I watched, the more I felt it was being heavily scripted. I felt the same way about 'Pickers". I did like the one where Corey bought the boat, much to Rick's dismay.

In Rick Harrison's defense, he constantly tells customers he is a re-seller, not a collector, therefore he is not going to give them full price. Also, none of these guys are holding a gun to the sellers' heads. If they feel they aren't getting what they want, they can walk away. Especially in a pawn shop, where you are taking a massive hit on value for a faster buck. If they don't like it they can try to sell their items themselves or pay a commission to an auction house.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I do recognize one of the host of the new show. Looks like Pistol Pete, a long time desert racer.

Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

Dude looks like a rock star
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I dunno... He looks like "Eugene" from "The Walking Dead" with lamb chops.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
"Pawn Stars" was amusing for the first couple of seasons. Then, the more I watched, the more I felt it was being heavily scripted. I felt the same way about 'Pickers". I did like the one where Corey bought the boat, much to Rick's dismay.

In Rick Harrison's defense, he constantly tells customers he is a re-seller, not a collector, therefore he is not going to give them full price. Also, none of these guys are holding a gun to the sellers' heads. If they feel they aren't getting what they want, they can walk away. Especially in a pawn shop, where you are taking a massive hit on value for a faster buck. If they don't like it they can try to sell their items themselves or pay a commission to an auction house.
I don't know how Pawn Stars became popular. Rick is sometimes cool and sometimes a dick. His son, Corey "Big Hoss", is always a dick. And Chumlee is a waste of space. When I watch the show it's just to see what kind of cool stuff comes in the store.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Also, I was ready to pull out what was left of my hair if I saw one more dolt walk in with a $50 Chinese knock-off guitar that was "autographed" by *insert star name here*.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Alright just truck show might look interesting. Looks like some of my redneck family in it, lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Truck Night in America starts again 1/31/19
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Watching it right now, i like the course. Don't know none of the guys are, but seems alright.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I remember Glen Plake or whatever his name is from the early days of some extreme sport. Freestyle skiing maybe? Like the new course, still like the show too.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Spoiler alert. Pistol Pete Sohren died in a side by side accident a few weeks ago in Mexico.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah im gonna be real curious to see what they do. ive watched part of one show. didnt see any mention of it yet.
or a RIP 19xx-2018 at the end credits like they sometimes do.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I'd bet that episode was filmed before that happened if I had to guess.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I'll have to check that truck night show out. Seems pretty cool. I love how most of the content on the history channel has nothing to do with history. That cracks me up. Just like MTV.... I can't remember the last time I seen music on it. All stupid reality shows. Personally I hate the reality show erra. Let's watch people live life instead of living it ourselves. Oo..Oo. I got it let's watch people play video games instead of playing them ourselves too... Oh yeah people already to that...... Wtf?
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
yeah im gonna be real curious to see what they do. ive watched part of one show. didnt see any mention of it yet.
or a RIP 19xx-2018 at the end credits like they sometimes do.

There was a memorial spot for him at the end of the show

Here's something I found:https://www.facebook.com/trucknightinamerica/

Last edited by Mike Flea; 02-04-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #36
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I'd bet that episode was filmed before that happened if I had to guess.

more likely the entire season was already recorded before his death.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I love how most of the content on the history channel has nothing to do with history. That cracks me up. Just like MTV.... I can't remember the last time I seen music on it.

haha was a similiar stand up comedian doing a skit on this about TLC (The Learning Channel) its all 600lb shows, multiple children shows, yes to the dress, little people, cake, pimple popper, etc etc.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #38
RCC Addict

I kind of think it's sad as well as an accurate indicator of what people want these days... something that they can "ooooh" and "ahhhh" at for all of a few episodes and then move on to something else equally strange or macabre. Many years ago I liked Little People/ Big World but that's about it. Other shows on The History Channel & The Learning Channel, I just haven't been able to get into. Plus it seems like after a season or two, they're gone anyway. Oh and MTV is absolutely horrible... although I guess that's the awful crap that a lot of our fine upstanding youth like to watch these days.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I kind of think it's sad as well as an accurate indicator of what people want these days... something that they can "ooooh" and "ahhhh" at for all of a few episodes and then move on to something else equally strange or macabre. Many years ago I liked Little People/ Big World but that's about it. Other shows on The History Channel & The Learning Channel, I just haven't been able to get into. Plus it seems like after a season or two, they're gone anyway. Oh and MTV is absolutely horrible... although I guess that's the awful crap that a lot of our fine upstanding youth like to watch these days.
It's pretty sad when networks (MTV, Food Network, History, ect) have to launch affiliate channels to program what they had already been programming on the parent network. Each of the previously mentioned networks now have their flagship channels loaded with "reality" TV crap.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
It's pretty sad when networks (MTV, Food Network, History, ect) have to launch affiliate channels to program what they had already been programming on the parent network. Each of the previously mentioned networks now have their flagship channels loaded with "reality" TV crap.
The reality thing... SO cringe inducing! I have to figure that even someone much younger than I, should be able to see right through the scripted and intentionally dramatic story lines. Even shows that I liked/ tried to like just put me off due to the way that unnecessary hype was created. I mean... I get it... They have to make things more interesting or dramatic then they actually are in order to captivate the audience, but come on... it's not reality anymore.

I laugh at the stuff that is portrayed to be very candid yet they already have camera's conveniently rolling... like "Lets check in on this cat from hell and see how it's doing! Oh no... It destroyed the house!" Well yeah... but why all the dramatic effect since you already had camera's placed in the house and knew this was happening lol? Idk... poor example probably but you know what I mean.

Oh and regardless of how real or not... Hats off to Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs. That show continued to hold my attention and he was an awesome host.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

New Show on History Channel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History Channel: Vikings BigSki Chit Chat 2 03-29-2015 03:05 PM
New: Alaska Off Road Warriors on History Channel STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 98 01-19-2015 07:21 AM
History Channel "bonnie and clyde" JandG Chit Chat 13 12-10-2013 02:37 PM
Anyone watching WWI in HD on the History Channel? nascarkeith Chit Chat 5 11-17-2009 07:47 PM
marijuana on the history channel Thorsteenster Chit Chat 5 05-23-2007 01:44 PM