Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Welcome To Marwen - 1:6 scale movie!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Welcome To Marwen - 1:6 scale movie!

went and saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom with the kiddos and there was a trailer before that blew my mind.

WELCOME TO MARWEN

Starring Steve Carell as Mark Hogancamp, based on his real story of self therapy after being beaten to brain injury, he photographs his scratch built 1:6 scale town and characters (his real town is actually called "Marwencol"). it has been given a bit of a "Hollywood treatment" but looks to do AMAZINGLY well at really taking us on an incredible journey into Hogancamp's mind.

guys, if you are on this forum, chances are you love and appreciate SCALE. this movie has it (even brings it to life!), plus a great story about an incredible man. i mean, this is like Smiggins Folly on the big screen!

i am already sold on this. took about 2 seconds of trailer and just got better and better from there.
i got home and watched a couple more vids about Hogancamp. his art is incredible and the story really is fascinating.
there is a bit more to this fellow but you can learn more about him to really understand.
Marwencol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwencol
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Welcome To Marwen - 1:6 scale movie!

That looks good, It reminds me of Fumbles thread, Behind Enemy Lines.
Behind Enemy Lines

Video
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=09d_1486545281
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sigh... not gonna lie... Watching this trailer, the lump in my throat turned into a tear in my eye. I will be anticipating the release of this one. "No... No gumbo" helped to put a smile back on my face. Thank you, Shinchu... for the feels today.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

glad im not the only sap around here... ;) it got me too. just means you're alive and you have a heart buddy.

DVS thanks to the link to Fumbles thread! that's awesome and i now REALLY have the itch to build a 1:6 scale WWII military jeep (the ONLY kind of jeep i would ever add to my collection)

Last edited by Shinchu; 07-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I spend the majority of my life wearing a mask of composition... Or I crack jokes and wear a furtive grin. This facade rarely erodes so the weakness that is sadness or emotion, just builds. Seeing this trailer forced me to have to tell my wife that there's a lot of dust and pollen in the air today. All better now lol! Bless you, man.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

hey no problem. we all wear the mask. ;)

my addictive behavior is kicking in...
1:6 Willys GI Joe Basic Build
now im looking for GI Jerps and TLT axles...

and really interested in seeing more of Hogancamp's work.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Can wait to see this movie, Some of these action figures are made by Dragon Models Ltd., they are 1/6th scale, very detailed with over 30 points of articulation. They work well with that 1:6 Willys jeep.

Dragon Models Limited
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Oh San Marcos! That's where my in laws live!

Yeah I have dabbled in 1:6 scale figures. Sideshow and hot toys mostly. Star Wars and Marvel. The detail you get at this large scale is unrivaled. I wonder if anyone will get licensed by the movie to make replicas of what we see on screen.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice! looking forward to this.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

very cool
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Trailer #2 is up!

*fixed now its embedded

Last edited by Shinchu; 07-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I wish I knew how to embed video on my laptop. This forum is a struggle for me to use. Apparently I could upload pictures easier than I do too. Thank you for the link to the second trailer
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have seen the documentary about this guy several years ago. It was on Netflix then but looks like it's not available in the US anymore.

Edit: Just found out it was removed on October 20th 2014.

The documentary was called "Marwencol."

Last edited by struhall; 07-19-2018 at 05:33 AM. Reason: New info
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

im going to wait and watch that documentary after i see the Hollywood version. i feel if i watch the true story first it will take away from the thrill of the big screen version.
but yeah you can still get the documentary its at the official marwencol site i posted in the OP. or just click here Own the DVD
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I wanted to watch the documentary too but for the exact same reasoning as Shinchu, I want to wait.

I really wasn't sure what my wife was going to think of the [first] trailer so I kind-of set it up for her. Before I was even done trying to convince her how incredible it was... she stopped me and insisted that I show it to her. Success lol! I guess I just wasn't sure how receptive she'd be to the potentially simplified perspective of a grown man "playing" with "dolls".

Maybe 20-30 seconds into it, I could tell that she was awe-struck! Her mouth hung open and she just kept saying "Oh my God!" and "Wow!". It means SO much to me that she connected with this trailer so effortlessly. We are very much alike in many ways but sometimes it disappoints me that she isn't as passionate about certain things as I am.

We watched the 2nd trailer last night and I asked which she liked better.. She enthusiastically replied "BOTH!" as she was wiping back tears. Yea!!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

dude that's awesome and has me choked up this movie appeals to men and women alike.
my wife was the same. she pokes fun at my "dolls" all the time so i did the same, explained steve carell (she is a huge fan) is in a new movie about... i will just show you the trailer. put it on the big screen and she was ALL IN. so happy she gets it and maybe will go a little easier on me with my figures now haha one can hope...

i will start a riot if he doesn't get an Oscar for this one.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
RCC Addict

That's so cool! My wife is also a big fan of Carell. We both agreed that a better person for this role quite possibly doesn't exist! I'm just captivated by his talent and I instantaneously connected with his character. The intensity, the subtle humor, the emotion... chills.

Just to add... after the ammo/ gumbo scene, I paused it and exclaimed to my wife how incredible that scene felt to me because of the fact that she didn't open the door, she didn't poke her head in, she didn't yell from another room... But rather she came to the door and so hesitantly yet affectionately knocked on the glass and proceeded to deliver such a dynamically convincing portrayal of how someone in her position would probably behave! The way that she said her line, as well as the camera angle, etc... absolute perfection!

Yep! I'll be completely disgusted if this movie doesn't win him an Oscar.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for posting this.

Watched the trailer lst night. Wholly cow is this great. Like Steve and Leslie as actors. Both funny and very talented. Will pay to see this for sure and vote for Steve without a doubt.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Carell even resembles mark hoganchamp pretty well. its not dead ringer but the resemblance is there.

HPD, yes the gumbo scene was great. really helps shed light on PTSD and the importance of a gentle approach. also love the rehab/physical therapy scene with the amputee. taking it from someone who has been there makes a much bigger statement. its also accurate that some people who receive that sort of physical therapy, become therapists themselves to sort of, pay it forward.

another hope i have for this is that Hoganchamp didn't get burned in the process. i hope he gets his cut of both money and respect. hopefully they had him as a consultant to sort of "give his blessing" on the script and maybe an advisor to Carell.
but that's just my hope.

Last edited by Shinchu; 07-19-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks for posting the 2nd trailer, just a handful of my collection.

RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Welcome To Marwen - 1:6 scale movie! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 RCORVA Worlds MOVIE! by Extreme Scale Performance BC-Brian Videos! 5 10-05-2015 11:19 AM
2 Jeeps for a funny scale "real" movie ! Sly Videos! 9 07-08-2011 05:41 AM
Jan 1st 2011 Movie Night & Scale Comp, Presented by: Bulu Productions The Eye Indiana 7 01-08-2011 08:45 PM
Help me name this movie..... Knoc Chit Chat 7 07-06-2008 03:07 PM