Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Mindfulness meditation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Mindfulness meditation

Anybody else do it?

I gave it a serious try last week and I gotta say, I like it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Mindfulness meditation

I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind and getting it to center again when I tried. It’s like a damn savox servo.

Did you need to have complete peace and quiet or how did you get yourself to focus?

This what you tried?

https://cdn.mindful.org/How-To-Pract...-1024x1024.png
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Suck it up!

That's pretty much it.

Years ago I learned a simple meditation to help me sleep, so I've got a little experience in it already. After a while it becomes automatic, I don't think too much about it (if at all) when I go to bed unless I'm really having trouble nodding off.

It is difficult in the beginning, so you have to keep at it, but you'll notice when you make progress. Just sitting still and learning to focus on the breath is a great, simple start. There are tons of podcasts that offer guided meditations, and having an outside voice in your ear can help. Headphones work especially well because they'll help block out the noise around you. Eventually you'll learn to dismiss the ambient noise, or to focus on it like you would your breath. You're basically conditioning yourself to acknowledge and respond to things instead of reacting instinctively or obsessively. When that thought knocks you off center, recognize it as just a thought, let it go out like it came in and go back to the breath.

It's rooted in Buddhist teachings, but it skips the religious and/or new agey woo-woo stuff. Those parts are interesting but really tend to muddy the waters, so I try not to get too involved.

I consciously try to do at least one 10-15 minute session in the evenings when I'm already starting to wind down. I'll also do a few really quick ones at work, which I hesitate to call meditating when it's really just forcing myself to stop what I'm doing, chill for a minute, and rethink what I'm doing. I always go right back to what I'm doing with my head just a little bit clearer. It makes troubleshooting way easier.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-17-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The best time to meditate is early morning. The hardest part these days is sleeping early.
I used to wake up at 4 am and be ready by 7 am after getting fresh, exercise, yoga and meditation....but now I wake up at 7 am:(
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

I've tried this as well as breathing exercises. It doesn't do anything for me. I don't understand how it works for others. Maybe I'm just wound tighter than the average meditator.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Never tried it but sitting at my work bench wrenching on a rc does wonders for me!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Never tried it but sitting at my work bench wrenching on a rc does wonders for me!
Agreed. I get in a zone and tune everything about. It's even better when I'm home alone in silence.

Motorcycle rides are great meditation as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

I gave it another shot last night, still struggling to clear my mind. Usually it’s self reflection that drags it away. Going to keep practicing. Focusing on breathing helped me fall asleep a lot quicker though.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've tried this as well as breathing exercises. It doesn't do anything for me. I don't understand how it works for others. Maybe I'm just wound tighter than the average meditator.
A good chunk of mindfulness is understanding why you're wound up so tight and learning to let it go. Untangling your brain is not an easy thing to do.

I started letting go a couple of years ago to mitigate stress and it did wonders. Especially where my migraines we're concerned. Instead of letting the pain consume me, I let it be and tried to not focus on it. It took time, but they come much less frequently and don't last as long as they did.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just fire off some knuckle children and go to bed.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post

Medibation!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Medibation!

I prefer to call it mastertation myself.

I don't get stressed much but if I do tinkering with rc will usually clear it up. Dlux is a bit of a hippy dippy kinda guy so he's into meditation and whatnot. He was telling me last year how found building tires to be super relaxing so he will wait until he has a bunch to do then spend a whole day doing nothing else. I've since started building tires and he's right. I just spent Sunday doing nothing but tires and it was a good day.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I study his ways ...lol but seriously, meditation does work tho, its crazy what the brain can do . Calm , Cool & Tranquil !

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I find a nice hot/warm cup of coffee helps me sleep.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
A good chunk of mindfulness is understanding why you're wound up so tight and learning to let it go. Untangling your brain is not an easy thing to do.

I started letting go a couple of years ago to mitigate stress and it did wonders. Especially where my migraines we're concerned. Instead of letting the pain consume me, I let it be and tried to not focus on it. It took time, but they come much less frequently and don't last as long as they did.
I honestly don't stress much. I've always been lucky that way. But I've always been a high strung kinda person meaning I can't sit still and I'm bored unless I'm doing something. I also have the temper - maybe from being German and Irish.

Prescription drugs, that I'm unfortunately bound to for life, also add to it. If you've been on any kind of steroid for any length of time you know how that affects your personality - less calm, shorter fuse, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
That natural stress relief never hurts. That's for sure.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I just put a dip in and keep on doin whatever it is im doing. usually its the repetitive acts I have to do at work sometimes that relaxes me. like wiring up some test stands, or doing a safety check on a stand or in a room.

if I was an electrician.. id basically pull all the wires/ cables. then go and strip all the wires and cables, then id go and start all the connections after I labeled them. "use one tool at a time"

its probably why trashy pants and dlux like making tires so much, ya probably "scissor" everything first before you glue up. hehe. I know I do. ive actually got a set I need to get back to soon.. I cut a bunch of lug spikes out and need to put them on another set of tires..

back to the meditation thing.. some of yas "space out" you might find it relaxed you. try it on purpose for once.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I just put a dip in and keep on doin whatever it is im doing. usually its the repetitive acts I have to do at work sometimes that relaxes me. like wiring up some test stands, or doing a safety check on a stand or in a room.

if I was an electrician.. id basically pull all the wires/ cables. then go and strip all the wires and cables, then id go and start all the connections after I labeled them. "use one tool at a time"

its probably why trashy pants and dlux like making tires so much, ya probably "scissor" everything first before you glue up. hehe. I know I do. ive actually got a set I need to get back to soon.. I cut a bunch of lug spikes out and need to put them on another set of tires..

back to the meditation thing.. some of yas "space out" you might find it relaxed you. try it on purpose for once.

There is no rhyme nor reason to how I do tires. Sometimes I cut all the sidewalls and treads then glue them up, sometimes one at a time as needed.

I do a lot of time traveling behind the wheel. I'll be there watching the road but lose hours at a time. I'm not sleeping, or even tired but my brain kicks into kind of a modified auto pilot so unless something worth remembering happened I skip it until I get where I need to change it up. Like getting to the city, stopping for fuel etc.

It used to bother me but now I rather enjoy it.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 12-18-2018 at 06:22 PM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
I honestly don't stress much. I've always been lucky that way. But I've always been a high strung kinda person meaning I can't sit still and I'm bored unless I'm doing something. I also have the temper - maybe from being German and Irish.
I wasn't much of a stresser until this last move. It wasn't worry that was getting to me, it was the frantic pace that I was running to keep things in order, and eventually decided that I needed to back off or burn out entirely.

That kind of boredom is familiar, and makes meditation difficult. Knowing the philosophy behind mindfulness might help you though, it's a change in the state of mind so that you can't really get bored.

Quote:
Prescription drugs, that I'm unfortunately bound to for life, also add to it. If you've been on any kind of steroid for any length of time you know how that affects your personality - less calm, shorter fuse, etc.
That tends to throw a wrench in the works, no doubt about it.

Quote:
That natural stress relief never hurts. That's for sure.
I guess that depends on how stressed you are.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind and getting it to center again when I tried. It’s like a damn savox servo.

Did you need to have complete peace and quiet or how did you get yourself to focus?

This what you tried?

https://cdn.mindful.org/How-To-Pract...-1024x1024.png

F*ck that, smoke a joint, it's easier
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

hippie
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote