Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Damage to 1:1 while offroading. Will insurance cover it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Damage to 1:1 while offroading. Will insurance cover it?

I'm not an off roader at all but have a buddy that's trying to get me to join him in the local Xterra Owner's club for some trail runs. I bought an 06 Xterra SE about a yr and a half ago. I had a Mitsu SUV before that and it never saw dirt either.

While I've never had much interest in offroading, since I started RC crawling, I'm starting to become interested.

I can't see myself doing anything real serious but I also got to thinking after watching a vid clip of a guy rolling a late model SUV in moab...would insurance cover damage caused by off road crashes or is this the perfect opportunity for the insurance co to deny the claim?
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Knowing Insurance companys, they will deny you!
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you're just going on some light trail rides, you have less of a chance of damaging you car than you do driving around the city. Don't do anything dumb or exceed a very slow speed and you'll be fine. If you can't get over something on the trail or start to feel the car on an angle you don't like, just stop and find another way around it. The people that flip over are either on huge rocks, going way too fast on trails, or just driving recklessly on the trail.

The worst you could do is get a small scratch from a branch (which you have to expect once and a while), maybe get stuck (you should get hitches/tow hooks if you don't have them), and maybe damage a tire, or have it fall off the bead (which isn't the end of the world).

I hear the Xterra is really good off road, so just find some really light trails and see if you feel comfortable driving on them.

Insurance probably won't cover any damage, and if your car's under warranty, that will likely not cover any of the damage either, and/or could possibly be void (probably not on an xterra).
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Insurance doesn't pay for anything, they are some of the biggest crooks.
funkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My brother rolled his yota in Moab and the insurance company paid all but $1500 ( he didn't have gap coverage)
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkranger
Insurance doesn't pay for anything, they are some of the biggest crooks.
Truth!

This is one of the biggest scams on the face of the planet.

I had an insurance adjuster suggest that the slice in my jeep's window be sewn up...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Government mandated scams are the best aren't they? Law states I have to have insurance to drive. But if someone hits me who doesn't have insurance, what happens? And don't even get me started on the FUBAR no-fault setup places like Hawaii have.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

No they will not cover it. You might be able to make a claim on a dent as a hit and run but you gotta pay your deductable and you risk the chance of your insurance premiums going up.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

When I insured my Rover I went with a stated value for replacement regardless of the conditions. I pay a little bit more a month but it is worth it and I have off road rider in there as well.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Best chance is to speak "honestly" with your ins agent. Speak with him/her directly about your concerns. Different ins companies will vary greatly in regards to offroading "accidents." A lot of policies throw out anything that doesn't occur on a public road. Your best bet is to speak with your agent.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I rolled my S-10 pre-runner in the desert after a Fabtec (JUNK) suspension piece broke.

State Farm covered it w/o issue.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
RCC Addict

The insurance company should cover it, problem is, its going to raise your insurance rates for making a claim. Different companies carry different policies, so check with your insurance agent to see what they say.

They may also drop you after you make 1 claim as well, since you will be a higher risk driver, they might not want to have to as a customer, so check with them and see if there is a special policy you can purchase.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
When I insured my Rover I went with a stated value for replacement regardless of the conditions. I pay a little bit more a month but it is worth it and I have off road rider in there as well.
ding ding ding! This is the answer for any "custom" vehicle. I did the same with my Lifted Grand Cherokee Limited and it is going to save me some heart ache since a uninsured guy hit my wife. Since it's a 96 with 180000 on the odometer, they would have written me a $1000 check and totalled it... even though it has a crate motor and transmission in it plus numerous other mods.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote