Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Horizon Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Horizon Opinions

Is it just me or does Horizon Hobbies seem a bit on the cheezy sleazy side? Take their shipping, charged $3 to ship 2 bags of 3mmx8 screws, they used Fed Ex and the ship time was 10 days. Really, under one ounce could have went US mail for under $2 and arrived in 3-4 days. There second best radio, DX5 Pro you have to remove 2 screws and remove the battery to charge it for the transmitter. I had a 1972 "Hobby Lobby 5" that was a plug in to charge, so the technology is available. I have found myself buying from others just because of the way they conduct themselves and some of their products are less quality than others offer.. Maybe their shortfalls are the reason they are still going. I do not hate them just think they could do better in a few areas.

Last edited by sherbs; 02-10-2020 at 02:04 PM.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #2

Default Re: Horizon Opinions

I'm a huge fan of Horizon. I've found that they have the absolute best customer service in the industry. They also have the ability to make everything from top level racing kits to low end, entry level bashers.

Look what they've already done with Axial. They took Axial's junk plastics and improved upon those in the Capra kit.

What don't you like about how "they conduct themselves"?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well to start shipping, Amain and RPP gets me orders in 3 days, Horizon 8 to 10 days and at a higher price. They changed the Tower membership perks in mid stream. Paid for multiple years when Horizon took over then they downgraded the coupons and shipping perks with no offer to opt out with a refund. All little things but they add up. I bought their charger and battery for the DX5 Pro, never was it mentioned when I called that you have to remove the battery to charge, Just a cheap way to offer a rechargeable system'.

Last edited by sherbs; 02-10-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Don't get what your complaining about. With most (probably all) quality Txs, you remove the battery to charge it. Yes, they're are usually me costly chargers that can plug directly into the Rx...but, again, those teams to be more costly. Even my 7PX...Futaba's top-of-the-line surface Tx...you remove the battery to charge it (once again, unless you purchase the more expensive charger specific to that unit).

As for their customer service, it's just as outstanding as Amain's, and I typically recover shipments almost as far as today from Amain & RPP. I say "almost as fast" only because I'm in California, where Amain & RPP are located, whereas Horizon is shipped from out-of-state.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Built in charging usually sucks, takes my heli radio 20hrs to charge, I'd rather take it out and use a proper charger myself.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Built in charging usually sucks, takes my heli radio 20hrs to charge, I'd rather take it out and use a proper charger myself.
Which is exactly what I do. I've got ˛ adapter cables for my Futaba LiFe batteries, plus 3 adapters for my Typhoon H batteries. Between my iCharger 406 Duo, and my Hitec X2 AC Black, I can charge up to 4 batteries at the same time (tho, I haven't needed to charge 4 at once...yet).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Don't get what your complaining about. With most (probably all) quality Txs, you remove the battery to charge it. Yes, they're are usually me costly chargers that can plug directly into the Rx...but, again, those teams to be more costly. Even my 7PX...Futaba's top-of-the-line surface Tx...you remove the battery to charge it (once again, unless you purchase the more expensive charger specific to that unit).

As for their customer service, it's just as outstanding as Amain's, and I typically recover shipments almost as far as today from Amain & RPP. I say "almost as fast" only because I'm in California, where Amain & RPP are located, whereas Horizon is shipped from out-of-state.

Never had any trouble with their actual customer service. When I asked about the plug in the transmitter shown in my radio manual for charging Horizon said they opted out of putting that in after the manuals had been printed. But just never bothered to include a small upgrade sheet of the difference. RPP and Amain are double the distance to me than Horizon, but Horizon orders take double the time to arrive.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I would just say ordering direct from many manufactures in general sucks. Not all are bad but most are slow to ship and shipping and products are usually priced higher than distributors.

The only times I order from Horizon is when RPP or Amain doesn't have the item I need.

Their customer service has been great from my experience.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Never had any trouble with their actual customer service. When I asked about the plug in the transmitter shown in my radio manual for charging Horizon said they opted out of putting that in after the manuals had been printed. But just never bothered to include a small upgrade sheet of the difference. RPP and Amain are double the distance to me than Horizon, but Horizon orders take double the time to arrive.
With RPP I've always been forced to pay extra for that fast shipping. I believe it's recently changed, but in the past they only had expensive shipping options.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
With RPP I've always been forced to pay extra for that fast shipping. I believe it's recently changed, but in the past they only had expensive shipping options.
That has happened to me also, then it's Amain. Now one issue with Amain and Horizon is NY sales tax, they charge it. So at 8% tax RPP ends up being less $$ in the long run most of the time because so far they do not.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Side note: Amain is great for us Canadians. Read on here about a year to keep it under $50 and use the free or $1.99 shipping.

I've pushed $80-$90 USD on orders and never been charged taxes or customs, takes a couple weeks though.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote

Horizon Opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horizon RC Fest number9 Illinois 19 06-25-2018 06:35 PM
Horizon RC Fest Sneetches Chit Chat 1 04-28-2017 10:17 AM
forza horizon 2 microcrawlers Chit Chat 7 03-13-2016 09:54 AM
A new micro on the horizon... dudegetabike Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 39 05-23-2011 06:49 PM
There’s something new on the horizon……………… kevinlongisland Vendors Market 204 07-29-2008 05:00 PM