Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Sauces and Seasonings for Food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Sauces and Seasonings for Food

My girlfriend and I are tired of eating the same food over and over again. Being stuck at home because of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic isn't helping - takeout gets old too. So I'm looking to venture out into trying new rubs, sauces, seasonings and spices.

I bought some stuff from Tacticalories to try. She loves their Everything Bagel seasoning that I got, but we haven't tried anything else yet.

I'm the picky eater. I hate onions. Neither of us like really hot or spicy stuff.

I'm a huge fan of BBQ (sweet and smoky varieties) and salts.

So what do you guys recommend I try?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sauces and Seasonings for Food

Quaker steak and lube has some good sauces. My personal favs are golden garlic, the thai one, and another i already forgot.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Quaker steak and lube has some good sauces. My personal favs are golden garlic, the thai one, and another i already forgot.
Interesting. I never knew QS&L sold their sauces. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Since you don't like hot and spicy stuff, try the wings I make for my niece that she loves. Cook your wings any way you like, then mix teriyaki sauce, honey and either fresh or powdered garlic to taste in a big bowl with a lid that seals. Heat it in the microwave to help the honey dissolve and mix in, and toss the wings in it. So damn good!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This is all that anyone within 100 miles of here (Santa Maria, CA) uses on ANYTHING: https://susieqbrand.com/santa-maria-...ria-seasoning/ I put that $4!+ on everything... (right up until I had a stroke and had to switch to a low sodium diet... coincidence?)

Santa Maria is well known for our particular style of barbeque, Tritip (Top Block is close enough if tri tip isn't readily available in your neck of the woods) cooked over red oak with pinquito beans, and salsa. F. Mclintock's beans are a good substitute if you're not into cooking your own since you can get them in cans: https://www.mclintocks.com/store/

In my household bbq's always include linguica (semi-spicy portuguese sausage) and french bread cut lengthwise, buttered, seasoned, and cooked on the oak pit. My sister has 20lbs of Silva's linguica shipped to her place in Ohio once a year https://www.silvasausage.com/pork-beef
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I picked up Hi Mountain Trail Dust from Cabela's a couple years ago, tastes great on beef, pork, and chicken. I use it in a jambalaya with smoked sausage, and it makes the other ingredients pop. Unfortunately, our Cabela's doesn't carry it anymore, but here's the link for it if you're interested https://himtnjerky.com/trail-dust-we...yle-seasoning/
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

https://www.oldtownspiceshop.com/

This place is a local shop to me. They have some great seasoning blends as well as standard spices. They do some great seasonal stuff like a hard apple butter last fall that was great.
We use the devil's backbone blend on all sorts of stuff from eggs to vegetables to chicken and burgers.
The beach house blend is nice too. And I also like there jerk chicken seasoning. Not too spicy.
The rib rub and other bbq offerings are solid too. Also a variety of salt offerings as well.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Any Meat church rub and Suckle busters .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the great replies, all! Hopefully we can keep this tasty thread going.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I normally don't use store bought rubs due to the high salt content and make my own. But if you don't care for spicy or hot, I don't know how to help.
Atitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My girlfriend and I are tired of eating the same food over and over again. Being stuck at home because of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic isn't helping - takeout gets old too. So I'm looking to venture out into trying new rubs, sauces, seasonings and spices.

I bought some stuff from Tacticalories to try. She loves their Everything Bagel seasoning that I got, but we haven't tried anything else yet.

I'm the picky eater. I hate onions. Neither of us like really hot or spicy stuff.

I'm a huge fan of BBQ (sweet and smoky varieties) and salts.

So what do you guys recommend I try?

Not sure if you are doing this on the grill or not but I do a lot of pit beef turkey hams
One of the things I do is make a mixture of salt pepper basal in a vinegar oil water
I have my grill or pit good in hot then I brush on a good coating of the mixture searing on all sides well then turn heat down cook slowly till you get to your liking of done

Just don’t trim off to much fat as with this mixture it helps seal the meat juice in

Then slice thin for sandwiches or thicker for dinner plate

For my sandwiches I put bbq sauce or horseradish sauce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White Bear Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Not a rub but it's become my favorite general seasoning. Anyone in the Southern US is probably familiar with it, but being in Canada it's pretty unique up here.

Tajin, I liken it to Mexican seasoning salt.

My favourite is the Habanero Tajin, but it's quite hard to find so I usually only have access to their Tajin Clasico, it's also really good.

Neither of them is very spicy and they pack a nice citrus-y/salt-y pop. I put that shit on everything; corn, fries, steak, chicken, seafood, potatoes, Kraft Dinner etc..

Tajin Website
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The wife and I have a good system, she rubs the meat, and I burn it...

A lot of the rubs she does would not appeal to you, not liking hot or spicy. But, one thing to try, that is REALLY good on a grilled steak is an espresso rub. The espresso is mixed with other seasonings, depending on what pallet you like.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Best thing I've done for meat lately is I brine it. I've heard about it for a long time but only tried it for a year or so. I've brined various chicken breasts and pork chops. I start with 6-8 cups of water and add 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup of sugar...stir to dissolve then add in the meat. I let it soak for a couple hours. Take it out and straight on the grill or into the oven.

I've done this regardless of any sauces or rubs added while cooking. It's been the single biggest and best thing I've done in the wonderful world of meats. My family is very pleased as is anyone who's tried it. incredibly tender and juicy.

As far as sauces, a unique one I really like is called Patti's sauce from "Patti's 1880 Settlement" in KY. It's not a dipping sauce and tastes terrible if you try it that way. When grilling pork chops or chicken...when they're nearly done...I pour some over the meat and let it work its magic for a couple minutes...flip and and do the same to the other side. Most melts and drips off causing impressive flare ups but what remains on the meat is kinda like a glaze.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have my own concoction that everyone seems to like. It's a blend of salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. ( sometimes I'll add a pinch of curry powder into it)
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, grill, sauce, seasoning, spice

Sauces and Seasonings for Food - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food/Cooking EeePee Chit Chat 2436 10-24-2022 08:33 AM
Food at the event War Pig Scale Nationals 25 09-06-2012 01:43 PM
Want some good food? JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 12-17-2007 07:55 AM
food mike Chit Chat 22 03-15-2005 08:59 PM