Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I'm Becoming Disinterested in RC......WHAAAAAT!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I'm Becoming Disinterested in RC......WHAAAAAT!?

Over the last couple of weeks I've really become disinterested in RC to the point that I've pondered the thought of selling off the majority of my cars (13 of them). I would keep 3 and my son's 2, but dump the rest. They just sit and collect dust. I've only been in the hobby for 7 years, but never felt this way until now. Very strange indeed.

Lately, I've been wanting to get into mountain biking. There are some killer trails in a local park 20 minutes from my house, the same park where the rock crawling course is ironically. I've been researching MT bikes. They're not cheap. Close to $1,000 for a hardtail bike with front suspension, and 27.5" tires. DAAAANG! But then I thought, I've got probably $13-1,500 into my MaX-D monster truck alone that has been sitting for a year.

There's a second bike that has piqued my interest that although new, they are $950, I found a ton on offer up locally for $500. It's called the SE OM Duro. It's a adult sized BMX bike with 27.5" tires and 10 speeds. Kind of like a BMX/MT bike. I rode bmx from 6-18 years of age, then got into road bike racing and triathlons. Even in my 20s and 30s I would pull out my old bmx and fart around with it, doing tricks and what not. Now at 50, I have that urge to ride again.

Stay tuned, we'll see what happens..............

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm Becoming Disinterested in RC......WHAAAAAT!?

I ride on and off. Used to do freestyle, ramps, etc, then graduated to mountain bikes and rode all over around here. However, I don't do mountains much if at all anymore, in my mid 40's they are just not as much fun as they used to be.

I have a GT 26" hardtail bike I've had for well over 20 years and it's still as tight as the day I bought it. Same cables and all, still works great. I also had a 29" Diamondback Hardtail for a while, but no longer seeing the need for 2 hardcore bikes, I just upgraded to a Trek Verve "comfort bike" It's a hybrid, has a mountain bike frame but skinnier tires for trail and street riding. Feel like I traded some manhood buying it, but I don't regret it at all. I LOVE it, it sits more upright and takes the pressure off my wrists. I can ride that thing all day. Definitely worth a look depending on what you plan to ride on.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/verve/

So the GT comes out for any kind of aggressive terrain and the Verve goes out when I'm just riding around the house on flat trails. It's good to have options!

Definitely post up when you end up with. Always love some bike talk

Last edited by OSRC; 05-15-2020 at 07:40 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have the Trek Superfly 5 bought back in 2015. Yes quality bikes are expensive. I did a lot of research when I was looking as I had zero knowledge. From what I remember the price goes up as the quality of the components goes up just like our RCs. The big box store ones are generally OK for standard use sort of like an RTR. The more expensive bikes have much better components and added features. Kind of like going to a VS-4 etc..

When I was looking I had it narrowed down to Trek and Specialized. I was looking at a Trek for just under 1K that was perfect for my needs but I could not get it in orange! The Superfly 5 came in orange so I spent an additional 350.00 or so just to get the orange and it also had better components.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'd recommend finding a good local bike shop, and buying from them. You'll get a better bike, they'll size it for you so it fits correctly, a better warranty with someone local that can handle that stuff for you, and they usually include the first year of tune ups free. Bikes have come a long way since I was a kid. I worked in a shop when I first went back to college, left moto and got into cycling. I hung it up for a while, and got back into it in 2014. Yes, it can be an expensive hobby, but it's also has a lot of health and fitness benefits too. The good part is, once you buy the bike and your gear, all it costs is gas money to get to the trailhead.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm in a similar situation...although, in my case, it's about losing interest in certain areas of RC, as I'm getting extremely interested in a new area. Although I'm still very-much interested in off-road (especially racing, once the track reopens), I've lost interest in on-road (USGT), and I'm already losing interest in crawling (even though I only got involved 7 months ago). I'm seriously considering selling my XRAY T4, 2-3 of my 4 crawlers (one of which, TF2, I haven't even built yet), 1-2 of my 3 bashers, and up to half of my 6 off-road racers.

As for that new area of interest (and it's a total blast, tho runs are VERY short, as batteries get drained very quickly), we're talking FE boats. Been running my first (ProBoat SonicWake) for a couple months now, I just ordered a "recovery boat", plus I'm already looking for something faster...something that's race-capable.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just added two more bikes to my fleet, a Roscoe 7 for me and a Marlin 6 for the girlfriend to ride (her first bike).

Between biking, fishing and woodworking, my toy trucks haven't seen the outside world since last summer. Every chance I get to have nice weather, gets prioritized by other much more expensive hobbies it seems.

In a nutshell, I hear ya OP!

Edit:

Check out a Kona Blast as well.

The value on that bike can't be beat right now, nobody can touch that bike for price point vs components and quality right now, you won't be sorry!

Full Deore groupset at that price point is the cats ass.

Add a brand-x dropper post for $150 bucks from CRC later on down the road to that bike and you get a kick ass bike for far less then my new Roscoe.

Only reason I didn't get it was everybody and their dog is buying up bikes right now, stock is hard to find!

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 05-15-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
It's called the SE OM Duro. It's a adult sized BMX bike with 27.5" tires and 10 speeds. Kind of like a BMX/MT bike.
That's not a BMX, 1X drivetrains are the latest and greatest in the world of MB right now. You're only going to find 2X and 3X now on very, very entry level bikes these days.

The simplicity, cost and lack of maintenance can't be beat.

1X drive chains are the best thing to happen to mountain biking since the advent of the dropper post.

Buy into it, and you won't be sorry, promise you that!

Another thing to consider is looking at bikes spec'd with SRAM's 1x12 groupset, Shimano can't touch it and my experience so far is that my Roscoe 7 with it, is far, far smoother then my Top Fuel 9.8 spec'd with a 3X XT groupset, my Roscoe cost less then a quarter, by a mile.

Also, 27.5 is the best of both worlds between 26 and 29 wheelsets, my personal preference is the 27.5 and I have several bikes of each flavour.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 05-15-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I ride on and off. Used to do freestyle, ramps, etc, then graduated to mountain bikes and rode all over around here. However, I don't do mountains much if at all anymore, in my mid 40's they are just not as much fun as they used to be.

I have a GT 26" hardtail bike I've had for well over 20 years and it's still as tight as the day I bought it. Same cables and all, still works great. I also had a 29" Diamondback Hardtail for a while, but no longer seeing the need for 2 hardcore bikes, I just upgraded to a Trek Verve "comfort bike" It's a hybrid, has a mountain bike frame but skinnier tires for trail and street riding. Feel like I traded some manhood buying it, but I don't regret it at all. I LOVE it, it sits more upright and takes the pressure off my wrists. I can ride that thing all day. Definitely worth a look depending on what you plan to ride on.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/verve/

So the GT comes out for any kind of aggressive terrain and the Verve goes out when I'm just riding around the house on flat trails. It's good to have options!

Definitely post up when you end up with. Always love some bike talk
I used to do freestyle and ramps as well. It's still in the blood. I live in the Flatlands of South Florida, no mountains here. The local park I mentioned earlier has over 10 miles of trails with a beginner, intermediate, advanced, and a skills area as well as a pump track and jump ramps.

A lot of the regulars there at the park create and maintain the trails and obstacles or "features" as they're called I guess in the mountain bike world. Not a whole lot of climbing here. Thank you for the link on that Trek hybrid bike. I'm definitely going to check that out not only for myself but for my wife as well as she needs a more comfortable bicycle. I figured the OM Duro BMX looking bike would be for cruising around town with the family, but would be rugged enough to ride wheelies, jump curbs and ramps and still do tricks with. The bike is bigger than it looks. I checked one out locally at a bike shop. With the seat raised up a bit, you're sitting upright for cruising , and you can even put a mountain bike dropper post in it if you want.

I'm not an Impulse buyer at all. I will research something to death before I pull the trigger and buy. I Rode a Norco Storm 2 mountain bike a couple days ago at a local shop with 29s on it. Although I'm 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, the fit of the bike felt great, but with those big ol wheels on it, the bike felt sluggish and sloppy. Plus, it was my first time ever riding a bike with real front suspension, which felt very strange. I'm used to riding a rigid bike with no suspension at all.

I'm going to check out a couple of different Trek mountain bikes at a different bike shop over the weekend.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post

Check out a Kona Blast as well.

The value on that bike can't be beat right now, nobody can touch that bike for price point vs components and quality right now, you won't be sorry!
I will definitely look into the Kona Blast for sure. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm actually going to check out a Roscoe 6 this weekend.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm only 31, so I've had limited time to fall out of love with hobbies, but my approach thus far, has been to hold onto the equipment required to do the hobby, if you choose to get back into it later. For hobbies that were a big part of my life for 5+ years, I tend to always come back to it, even if not with the same commitment level.

For my childhood, I was really into ice hockey, and played goalie. When I got to university, I could not commit the time, so I stopped playing. But, I kept my gear, and did get back into it after school on and off. I even decided to try my hand and playing forward, and really liked it. I prefer to play forward these days, but still like to play goalie sometimes. I'm glad I kept my gear.

I was actually really into XC MTB for near 10 years, then started doing it less. I strongly debated selling my bike, but I decided to hang onto it. I don't use it a lot any more, but I still have fun any time I throw a leg over it. I also have a cyclocross bike, which is great for rides with a mix of pavement and dirt. It's my go to bike these days. Again, I go through periods where I ride it a lot, and periods where I don't touch it for a while.

What I'm trying to say, is, keep enough RCs to still have the option to partake in the hobby. If you can sell the rest of the lot for good money, you may want to part ways with them, but you may find they are worth way more to you, than to anybody else.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I'm only 31, so I've had limited time to fall out of love with hobbies, but my approach thus far, has been to hold onto the equipment required to do the hobby, if you choose to get back into it later. For hobbies that were a big part of my life for 5+ years, I tend to always come back to it, even if not with the same commitment level.
Yep, I have seen this many times. Someone gets bored with a hobby, sells off all their stuff for a tiny fraction of what they paid for it, then gets back into it and buys all the stuff they used to have again.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Yep, I have seen this many times. Someone gets bored with a hobby, sells off all their stuff for a tiny fraction of what they paid for it, then gets back into it and buys all the stuff they used to have again.
This is what I'm afraid of. But like rkj said , I would keep enough that if the itch ever came back around for RC, I would have enough to satisfy me.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

And now I need to go watch Rad, thanks Max! (Seriously, love that movie)

I think we all have our ups and downs with the hobby, glad to hear you’ll keep enough to be able to wheel when you want to. This year has been a strange one and causing a lot of changes for people’s lives. I may be downsizing my collection quite a bit here in the coming weeks as I’m likely moving in July, where and with how many rigs depends on what happens with work and if I still have this job in 2 months.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

HA! I haven't seen that movie in years. I love that movie as well. Watched that countless times back in the day, not only because of the BMX, but I've always had a thing for Lori Loughlin.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I came across this video. This is my kind of riding right here.

https://youtu.be/JlB2uQDEjnA

Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I came across this video. This is my kind of riding right here.

https://youtu.be/JlB2uQDEjnA

Throw a riser bar on the Roscoe 6 and you essentially got the same thing. If you can stretch the Roscoe 7, it comes with $200 worth of rubber right off the bat plus a dropper, not too mention the 1x12. Well worth the difference if you can swing it. In the US I think the rubber plus rim strips alone cover most of the difference, and you will buy new rubber soon.

You'll also avoid that terrible suntour fork, the Judy on the 7 is more than usable.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 05-15-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #17

I'm tiring of RC as well because there's only so much tinkering and building you can do. I want to do trail runs! The pandemic has ruined that so far this year. Once again the weather sucks for us as well. It's just a depressing year all around so far.

I wanna get out on my two wheelers - the motorized kind - but again the weather is killing that.

Mountain bikes look like a blast and it's great exercise so you can't be mad about that. They make RC's look cheap though.

I grew tired of RC for about 10 years or so and I came back into it more addicted than ever. You never know what the future holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

I think we all have our ups and downs with the hobby, glad to hear you’ll keep enough to be able to wheel when you want to. This year has been a strange one and causing a lot of changes for people’s lives. I may be downsizing my collection quite a bit here in the coming weeks as I’m likely moving in July, where and with how many rigs depends on what happens with work and if I still have this job in 2 months.
Rad was rad! Hopefully you're watching it on LaserDisc! Lori Louhlin was so dreamy in that movie. I'm pretty sure she was my favorite part, but the rest of it was awesome too. And that was before she was a felon (yeah, yeah...innocent until proven guilty) .

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm tiring of RC as well because there's only so much tinkering and building you can do. I want to do trail runs!
Jato,

Let me know if you ever wanna get out. I'm usually available. This year my better half and I will be doing more trail stuff as her softball season is pretty much stuffed for the year. The Unimog is in pieces but the RR is still ready.

EDIT: I lost interest in the trail trucks last year and tested the water with RC Construction equipment. Was a fun diversion but tad expensive, now I got two RC hobbies to dump money into!

Regards
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #19
RCC Addict

After looking at the Roscoe 6 vs the 7 , it would make sense to Spring for the 7 with all of the better components that it comes with. I could stretch it and spring for the 7. I never thought of throwing a riser bar on the bike. That's a great idea! I would just need whatever bars and a stem, swap over the shifters and Brake levers, done. I didn't notice if the 7 came with lock-on grips or not.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
After looking at the Roscoe 6 vs the 7 , it would make sense to Spring for the 7 with all of the better components that it comes with. I could stretch it and spring for the 7. I never thought of throwing a riser bar on the bike. That's a great idea! I would just need whatever bars and a stem, swap over the shifters and Brake levers, done. I didn't notice if the 7 came with lock-on grips or not.

It does, they are nylon. If you want the best grips you can get for MB, cheaper then the bling and old school, ESI chunkys are the ticket the pedals are pure ass, as is with any bike off the lot. Race Face Chester's are great composites for the money.

The tires on the 7 are top shelf, really doesn't get any better, or expensive for that matter. The 7 is also tubeless ready, the bike shop probably won't know that the rims are already taped, all you'll need is goop and stems, cheap upgrade that makes a world of difference. 15psi on 27.5+ midfat tires is boner worthy.

Make sure they tune the air spring to your weight before you leave, they'll do it for free.

I'm Becoming Disinterested in RC......WHAAAAAT!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whaaaaat !?!? On top ? Frank211 General Scale Talk 72 12-21-2017 06:32 AM