Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Action Hobby in Arizona - BEWARE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Action Hobby in Arizona - BEWARE

This isn't to "complain", but to notify others of a multi-location hobby shop located in Arizona with HIGHLY suspicious business practices. The shop is 'Action Hobby', and, while they might have a physical location in Tempe, I suspect that the great majority of their business is done through their own website, and their eBay store.

I recently placed an order with them, and when the package was received, what I discovered inside was "interesting". The factory seal had been opened, and the twist tie on the wiring was missing, giving a very strong impression of having received a used item. I called the store, to inquire about the situation, and to see about a replacement being shipped to me. I was told that the one I received was the only one they had, so I was asked if I wanted a refund. Obviously, I said "yes"...but, I also wanted to find out why I had been shipped an open box item.

I explained how one might surmise that it may have been purchased by a customer, opened, and returned. Obviously, there would be no way for anyone to know whether, or not, the item had actually been used, or was truly in 'new' condition. The person I spoke with said gave another possibility - that, maybe, one of the sales people had opened the box, to show a possible customer the item, which I agreed was another possibility. However, there is no way of knowing which "possibility" is the real one period...and, since it was impossible to know which, returning for a full refund was the only legitimate option.

Move forward a week, the return had been received by the shop, and a refund issued...however, they only issued a partial refund, as the shipping fee was not included. Now, if I had changed my mind about the product, then it would be completely understandable that the shipping fee wouldn't be refunded. However, such was NOT the reason for the return - the item was returned due the factory-sealed box having been opened, and due to the possibility of a used product having been shipped to me (I am NOT accusing Action Hobby of knowingly shipping me a used product, only that it IS possible that it could have been used, meaning that a customer could have pulled the old "used for new switch-a-roo").

As if the situation wasn't already "interesting" enough, here's where it heads downhill even further. After receiving the "partial refund" email, I called Action Hobby, to ask why I was only issued a 'partial' refund. During this phone call, never once was I asked about any information pertaining to my order - not my name, address, order number, or anything else. Also, he didn't bother answering my question about why I had only received a partial refund. All he said was, "All of our servos are open, and on display.". Then he simply said, "What do you want?" I said, "The remainder of my refund." His reply? "Ok, goodbye."...followed by him hanging up without saying another word. Talk about a bit on the rude side.

I called back, to find out why he had so rudely hung up, and all he had to say was, "Go find someone to hug." So...they are a bit on the rude side, and they are condescending. If this is the type of business you enjoy making purchases from, then, by all means, go right ahead and buy from them. However, if you believe that these types of business practices are unacceptable, not only would I recommend not purchasing from them, but also spreading the word. Obviously, I will never purchase from them again, and I will do my best to make sure that others are aware of their business practices. I have nothing further to say.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Action Hobby in Arizona - BEWARE

I've purchased a great deal of products from a great deal of companies as obviously we would all claim. But reading through your post, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop... that would verify that this is a bad company to do business with... but it never happened.

Your first point = Completely speculative so no harm/ no foul on the company overall. Fact is that I have received merchandise from just about every retailer that you could name... and these kinds of anomalies with packaging simply exist from time to time.

Next point = A judgement call on the part of the company. As you know, rarely these days do we get a 100% refund unless there is clear cut definitive proof that the product arrived damaged or not as described. Even then... certain retailers may still dig in their heels regarding their responsibility as it relates to the discrepancy.

Third point = I get that you're "not accusing them of shipping a used product" but that's not here nor there. And "interesting"/ "heading downhill even further"... I'm not seeing this either. Why badger the guy about the partial refund? You already knew why you received a partial refund even though you didn't want to accept the reason. Then you called back to further scrutinize their decision. Obviously that wasn't going to play out in your favor. In their eyes you were being bothersome at that point... likely prior to that.

I generally appreciate these public service announcements and I'm glad for the heads-up but as for all the details ( and your post is just one side of the story) you haven't at all convinced me that these guys are acting unethically nor maliciously.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What I never read was any defect with the product.
Original seal broken was all I saw.

My advice, go to your LHS and see it there. My LHS will pop a seal to show any prospective customer what’s in the box. That’s the service part of the LHS. I normally buy it , but I’ve changed my mind and went different route

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Look at it this way. On one call, I was told that "it's possible a sales person opened the box to show a customer". Yet, a week later, in told that (supposedly) ALL servo boxes are open, and the service in display. Obviously, one of these is a lie, an it's impossible for both to be true. It shouldn't matter why the box was opened ...whichever 'reason' is true, you still don't ship an open box that's supposed to be factory-sealed...unless it is clearly advertised as ".open box". I don't know about the laws in arizona, but laws in many states would make that type of action illegal, especially here in California.

Next, there's the matter of the rudeness, as well as the condescending comments (there were more than just the one I posted). Being ride and/or condescending towards customers is NOT acceptable. Having worked in customer service-related positions, that's one thing I'm extremely familiar with.

Anyway, they are refunding the remaining portion...but, only after I told them I would be contacting PayPal (payment was completed the PayPal). Businesses with "shifty" practices do not deserve our business. Shipping open boxes that were factory-sealed (especially without informing the customer that it's an "open box") falls under "shifty". I've also purchased from many RC business, large & small, and this is the first one I've come across that treated customers in this way.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What I never read was any defect with the product.
Original seal broken was all I saw.

My advice, go to your LHS and see it there. My LHS will pop a seal to show any prospective customer what’s in the box. That’s the service part of the LHS. I normally buy it , but I’ve changed my mind and went different route

Hang up and Drive
The factory seal wasn't "broken". It was partially removed on one half, and red open on the other half. Additionally, the servo's wires would have been hella together work a twist-tie, which was completely missing. The rubber "adhesive", which hola the servo against the cardboard was completely missing. It's not as if the servo had 'detached' itself from the adhesive...the adhesive was no longer there (but the cardboard clearly showed adhesive HAD been there).

As I said in my original post, it's possible a customer had bought it, removed it from the packaging, changed his/her mind, and returned it. It's equally possible someone bought the servo, swapped out for a used servo, and returned it. It's also equally possible that a sales person opened the box so a potential customer could see the servo. As unlikely as I find the possibility to be, it's also possible that the shop actually does have they're service open-boxed, and on display...although, I've NEVER found ANY shops that had all their servo boxes open, and the service on display.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Just so others in the thread know, I posted this in some other forums.. and, I'm getting trollies from others who've had problems (some minor, some serious) with Action Hobby.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Just so others in the thread know, I posted this in some other forums.. and, I'm getting trollies from others who've had problems (some minor, some serious) with Action Hobby.

Just to clarify, did you mean Hobby Action? They have a small store in Tempe which is well stocked and they operate, at a separate location, an indoor off road race track that is really nice. I wonder if were you talking to the owner about this situation or was it one of the employees that gave you the run around? They seem to be helpful and knowledgeable and always busy at their store.

I would think the owner would take responsibility for what happened and would make it right and would like to know if one of his employees treated a customer this way. Sorry this happened to you and thank you for posting your experience.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

So, did you ever find someone to hug? Asking for a friend...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Action Hobby in Arizona - BEWARE

So what is the actual name?
The place that keeps coming up is different as mentioned above. It has consistent ratings in the 4.5 to 4.6 range on a 5.0 scale.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
Just to clarify, did you mean Hobby Action? They have a small store in Tempe which is well stocked and they operate, at a separate location, an indoor off road race track that is really nice. I wonder if were you talking to the owner about this situation or was it one of the employees that gave you the run around? They seem to be helpful and knowledgeable and always busy at their store.

I would think the owner would take responsibility for what happened and would make it right and would like to know if one of his employees treated a customer this way. Sorry this happened to you and thank you for posting your experience.
Yes, that's the store I'm referring to. I'm assuming that all online orders are handled through the Tempe location, which is the location I called. Just by chance, what is the owners name? I remember the names of the two employees...the one who was actually very helpful when I called to arrange the return/refund, as well as the "problematic" one I spoke to a couple days ago...so, maybe speaking with the owner could be a good thing -to inform him of the "problem", as well as to compliment the employee from a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
So, did you ever find someone to hug? Asking for a friend...
No...but I didn't need one (at least, not at that specific moment)...but, thanks for asking. Lol.

Last edited by Panther6834; 09-23-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Drop a line to the Better Business Bureau, you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick the business bends over backwards to make a customer happy: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Drop a line to the Better Business Bureau, you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick the business bends over backwards to make a customer happy: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started
The Better Business Bureau (or "Yelp for old people") is nothing more than a protection racket. A good rating is obtained by paying membership dues. Their are dozens of articles that delve into the blatant curruption that has been in place for years now.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
The Better Business Bureau (or "Yelp for old people") is nothing more than a protection racket. A good rating is obtained by paying membership dues. Their are dozens of articles that delve into the blatant curruption that has been in place for years now.
Agreed. Nobody pays any attention to the BBB anymore.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Yes, that's the store in referring to. I'm assuming that all online orders are handled through the Tempe location, which is the location I called. Just by chance, what is the owners name? I remember the names of the two employees...the one who was actually very helpful when I called to arrange the return/refund, as well as the "problematic" one I spoke to a couple days ago...so, maybe speaking with the owner could be a good thing -to inform him of the "problem", as well as to compliment the employee from a week ago.

Panther,
Sorry I do not know the owners name. I have bought stuff from both locations in the past but that was "in Store". I appreciate your attitude. It shows you are not out to bash this store just wanting to have them make it right. I hope someone will see this thread from Hobby Action or somebody who may know who the right person is for you to talk to. Hopefully this will/can be resolved. I haven't been there in quite awhile. Please keep us posted if things materialize.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Panther,

Sorry I do not know the owners name. I have bought stuff from both locations in the past but that was "in Store". I appreciate your attitude. It shows you are not out to bash this store just wanting to have them make it right. I hope someone will see this thread from Hobby Action or somebody who may know who the right person is for you to talk to. Hopefully this will/can be resolved. I haven't been there in quite awhile. Please keep us posted if things materialize.
You are correct...I don't want to "bash" them at all. The person I spoke with when I was seeing up the return was pleasant, and very helpful. It was the person I spoke with after the partial refund that was unpleasant. If I were able to speak with the owner x c in addition to informing him off the "problematic" person, I'd also give praise for the first person.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:

I didn't see a response to this. NO, I don't believe the OP is talking about Hobby Action. I came across the same "hobby store" online a few weeks ago. As a Newbie to crawling and new to AZ I've been rooting around for the quality little places that make everything better.

BUT, Now I cannot come up with the link, soon as I find it I'll post it up. Cause if you're young and trusting, their site, on the surface, looks really great. If you scratch a little you can tell its some half assed storage unit sorta operation, full on knock off garbage, odd "who" brands etc. No vendor support, no retail....

It's properly messed up, but also I would think obviously so, unless you're not yet skeptical, old, and untrusting.
Merovean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovean View Post
I didn't see a response to this. NO, I don't believe the OP is talking about Hobby Action. I came across the same "hobby store" online a few weeks ago. As a Newbie to crawling and new to AZ I've been rooting around for the quality little places that make everything better.

BUT, Now I cannot come up with the link, soon as I find it I'll post it up. Cause if you're young and trusting, their site, on the surface, looks really great. If you scratch a little you can tell its some half assed storage unit sorta operation, full on knock off garbage, odd "who" brands etc. No vendor support, no retail....

It's properly messed up, but also I would think obviously so, unless you're not yet skeptical, old, and untrusting.

Post #10 answers it.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Post #10 answers it.

Well sh*t.... I finally found the "Shop" in Scottsdale that sounded like the one in question.

Spooky RCWORLD

Thanks Mikemce
Merovean is offline   Reply With Quote

Action Hobby in Arizona - BEWARE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U4RC action in Arizona this weekend BoulderDan U4RC 0 11-12-2014 06:14 PM
U4RC action this weekend in Arizona BoulderDan Arizona 0 11-12-2014 06:10 PM
Horizon Hobby feedback posting beware... daver18qc Chit Chat 5 02-15-2014 10:38 AM
Hobby bench Arizona clutchburner Arizona 11 07-16-2011 10:33 PM
ax10 in action 56k beware goalvanny Chit Chat 5 12-28-2007 08:41 PM