Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Good news thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Good news thread

A week or so ago I was slammed and stressed with work. I decided to take a break and picked up lunch from taco place down the road. I got home to realize my beverage was a Dr Pepper instead of a Diet Coke. No biggie but I’m not fond of Dr Pepper so I just tossed it. I finished up my work day but for some reason I still really wanted a Diet Coke so I rolled through McD’s to snag one for a buck.

When I pulled up to pay they wouldn’t accept my money and just gave me the beverage for free.

Small thing, but it felt like the world balanced itself out for a brief moment.

Tell me something good that’s happened to you recently. (Not a news story)

We need some more positive content up in here.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Good news thread

last week I was in the middle of a 12 hour print for some RC parts when I realized that I had transposed numbers wrong when I drew the parts in Fusion. Instead of stopping the print and I let it go, and was going to use the parts as test pieces, and correct my measurements off of that. I took the parts off of the printer and fitted them up to the RC and they fit perfectly, my initial measurements were actually off. So, happy mistake, saver about 12 hours of print time and a bunch of filament.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

^^ that is fortuitous indeed. Well played on letting it ride.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My 16 year old just got a job at Arby's. Have been pushing her to get a job for quite some time. She's proud, I'm proud. Plus I really like Arby's roast beef sandwiches so everybody wins. She's saving up for a car, I'm splitting the cost with her and gave her a reasonable target but enough so that she doesn't buy a beater.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
Donkey Punch Champion!

Topher, that was called paying it forward. I'm guessing the person in front of you paid for your beverage.

Now, you didn't offer to pay it for the person behind you the paying it forward ended with you...jerk.

Ok, something good.

There is a little old lady who lives down the road from us. Her adult son passed away last summer. Well, I saw her out shoveling after the first snow. NOT ON MY WATCH lady! I hurried home and grabbed my snow equipment and cleared her driveway and shoveled her steps. She came to the door with a big smile and her checkbook. I wouldn't except a penny, I didn't come there to make money, I came to help a neighbor. We talked for a minute and told her to call anytime.

It makes ya feel good to help people KNOWING you want nothing in return.

Last edited by BigBaller; 01-08-2021 at 02:40 PM.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
My 16 year old just got a job at Arby's. Have been pushing her to get a job for quite some time. She's proud, I'm proud. Plus I really like Arby's roast beef sandwiches so everybody wins. She's saving up for a car, I'm splitting the cost with her and gave her a reasonable target but enough so that she doesn't buy a beater.
Hey congrats to her! Great age to get into the work force. I started at 15 at a fast food restaurant as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Topher, that was called paying it forward. I'm guessing the person in front of you paid for your beverage.

Now, you didn't offer to pay it for the person behind you the paying it forward ended with you...jerk.

Ok, something good.

There is a little old lady who lives down the road from us. Her adult son passed away last summer. Well, I saw her out shoveling after the first snow. NOT ON MY WATCH lady! I hurried home and grabbed my snow equipment and cleared her driveway and shoveled her steps. She came to the door with a big smile and her checkbook. I wouldn't except a penny, I didn't come there to make money, I came to help a neighbor. We talked for a minute and told her to call anytime.

:Badger:
I thought that too, about it being paid forward. However no one was in front of me and the fellow at the window just said “it’s on me”. Hopefully I didn’t break the chain but I should cover someone in the future so it can make their day like it made mine.

Good on you for helping her out! and for being available to her in the future. My mom lives alone in Colorado and people like you stepping up to help out at times is heartwarming.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Good thread idea, Topher!

I just recently broke a screw off in my SSD wheels, and was really bummed because I thought I had to replace the whole wheel. Turns out, I only have to replace the hub! I'm sure most knew this, but I didn't know they sold those separate lol.

Another good thing happened to me today. I met up with a fellow crawler to trade my sound kit for some shocks and rims and he threw in a set of wheels and tires because the drive I had! People are awesome.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Good thread idea, Topher!

I just recently broke a screw off in my SSD wheels, and was really bummed because I thought I had to replace the whole wheel. Turns out, I only have to replace the hub! I'm sure most knew this, but I didn't know they sold those separate lol.

Another good thing happened to me today. I met up with a fellow crawler to trade my sound kit for some shocks and rims and he threw in a set of wheels and tires because the drive I had! People are awesome.

I pictured the two of you crawling towards each other to make the trade when I read this lol

Good deal on the hub, and nice score. I usually throw all kinds of crap in when i sell something. The dude that bought my last truck ended up with 2 extra sets of wheels, tires, headlights, tail lights, and whatever random crap he found under the seat haha. I would have given him more stuff but we ran out of room
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The elastic on my underwear held for another day!

And here's another one...

Generally speaking, my wife had a fairly shitty childhood. But one of the bright spots was spending Christmas at her grandparents. That's the backstory. Fast-fwd to a couple weeks before Christmas 2020 and we were looking thru her old photo-album and as she was looking at one particular holiday pic, she exclaimed something to the effect of "OMG I remember these ornaments! I used to love touching them when I was little!" I was like "Ah... cool!" but kind of shrugged it off as far as she could tell.

But the next day I went into sleuth-mode to see if I'd be able to track down anything similar to them. Keep in mind that it was a pretty crappy pic to begin with. Looked everywhere that I could think of and although I found some that were similar, I couldn't find the exact ones and figured they just don't make em anymore. In a last-ditch effort, I decided to give etsy a shot and after scanning thru a couple pages I found what appeared to be identical to the ones from her youth. So fingers crossed, I grabbed 10 of em hoping they'd be close to what she remembered.

So the day that we put up our Christmas tree... as we started hanging ornaments, I stopped her and brought in this "mysterious" package that I had gift-wrapped. She had no idea what this was or why but she opened it up and immediately just began flat out bawling. No joke... She was even trembling a little bit as she kept whispering over and over "These are the ones. These are the ornaments from my Grandparents". Needless to say, she was completely overwhelmed. I was just astonished that I had been able to find the same exact ornaments... or close enough to pass as the originals anyway.

But I think that what resonated with me even more than her visual memory of these ornaments, was her tactile recollection. Seeing something that you remember from your childhood is certainly nice but the other senses are just as stimulating... and sometimes even more-so. Watching her run her fingers over these ornaments as she so mindfully placed each one on the tree was so absolutely cool. Here's a pic of one of em. They really are beautiful and they sparkle like crazy. And of course, I had to give 'em a touch to see what all the fuss was about lol.

Obviously none of this is a big deal but to a girl that had a pretty tough childhood and for 2020 being a fairly challenging year for her in many regards... this little trip down memory lane was just what she needed.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I pictured the two of you crawling towards each other to make the trade when I read this lol

Good deal on the hub, and nice score. I usually throw all kinds of crap in when i sell something. The dude that bought my last truck ended up with 2 extra sets of wheels, tires, headlights, tail lights, and whatever random crap he found under the seat haha. I would have given him more stuff but we ran out of room
I can see that too

I throw in a lot too, as long as I don't need the stuff lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
The elastic on my underwear held for another day!

And here's another one...

Generally speaking, my wife had a fairly shitty childhood. But one of the bright spots was spending Christmas at her grandparents. That's the backstory. Fast-fwd to a couple weeks before Christmas 2020 and we were looking thru her old photo-album and as she was looking at one particular holiday pic, she exclaimed something to the effect of "OMG I remember these ornaments! I used to love touching them when I was little!" I was like "Ah... cool!" but kind of shrugged it off as far as she could tell.

But the next day I went into sleuth-mode to see if I'd be able to track down anything similar to them. Keep in mind that it was a pretty crappy pic to begin with. Looked everywhere that I could think of and although I found some that were similar, I couldn't find the exact ones and figured they just don't make em anymore. In a last-ditch effort, I decided to give etsy a shot and after scanning thru a couple pages I found what appeared to be identical to the ones from her youth. So fingers crossed, I grabbed 10 of em hoping they'd be close to what she remembered.

So the day that we put up our Christmas tree... as we started hanging ornaments, I stopped her and brought in this "mysterious" package that I had gift-wrapped. She had no idea what this was or why but she opened it up and immediately just began flat out bawling. No joke... She was even trembling a little bit as she kept whispering over and over "These are the ones. These are the ornaments from my Grandparents". Needless to say, she was completely overwhelmed. I was just astonished that I had been able to find the same exact ornaments... or close enough to pass as the originals anyway.

But I think that what resonated with me even more than her visual memory of these ornaments, was her tactile recollection. Seeing something that you remember from your childhood is certainly nice but the other senses are just as stimulating... and sometimes even more-so. Watching her run her fingers over these ornaments as she so mindfully placed each one on the tree was so absolutely cool. Here's a pic of one of em. They really are beautiful and they sparkle like crazy. And of course, I had to give 'em a touch to see what all the fuss was about lol.

Obviously none of this is a big deal but to a girl that had a pretty tough childhood and for 2020 being a fairly challenging year for her in many regards... this little trip down memory lane was just what she needed.

That is truly awesome! Sometimes the smallest things can be the most heartwarming. Good for you for doing that for her!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

That’s a beautiful story HPD! Well done on the Christmas gifting!
Old 01-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks very much, Topher and SLN.

Quote:
Big Arby's fan here too. Used to be anyway.. been a long time. Really great that your daughter is motivated to take it upon herself to be responsible. Somebody's raising their kids right. Congratulations to her.

Quote:

Ha!

Quote:

Ok, something good.

Absolutely! and good on you for having a heart and feeling a sense of obligation. Helping others ( especially those that are elderly or disadvantaged) is just the right thing to do and if you're like me, your conscience doesn't easily allow you to simply ignore that humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

Really cool of him to do that. That's what it's all about.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yesterday a very nice man on Ebay gave me a great deal on SCX24 Deadbolt I had some unexpected money come in and wanted to buy a SCX24 to crawl indoors and all are gone on the net except for the scalpers charging 400$ for a B-17 Betty and after hitting the search on Ebay a couple times I came up on a Brand New not used and upgrade Red Deadbolt SCX24 with upgraded rc4wd aluminum bead locks and the rc4wd Goodyear tires and never ran and was asking 175$ or Better offer and I took a long shot and offered 125$ with a message saying im sorry to lowball but that was my max price I wanted to pay and low and behold he accepted the offer and said he was glad to help me out and was glad it was going to get used and not sit around and he already shipped out today so I owe this man a big jar of my organic honey... BUZZZ..... Pics below are actually purchase.....
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...Plus I really like Arby's roast beef sandwiches so everybody wins. ....
BUFFALO CRISPY CHICKEN SANDWICH

Just sayin..... You'll thank me later.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Default Good news thread

Good for me, maybe no so much the customer. But I got to drive a C8 yesterday. Pretty nice car, has a couple quirky issues, but spent some time on the phone with The Corvette engineers and they were super helpful down to earth guys and we got it worked out.

*edit, I almost forgot.. pics or it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fricker08; 01-09-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

high plains drifter, your story about your wife brought a tear to my eye...

You sure know how to treat a lady!

Here's an entertaining story from Jalopnik that is SOMEWHAT RC-related:

https://jalopnik.com/watching-a-truc...urt-1846019061

and the pic that demonstrates what I mean:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Durok- That video ( not sure if there are others but I saw one) was absolutely amazing... and a little unnerving lol. Can't imagine the detailed planning that goes into something like that... resulting in a seemingly flawless execution. That's not a transmitter that I'd want the responsibility of controlling!

And Thank You. She makes it very easy for me to care about her so all the credit goes to her, not me lol.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post

Well done. That's husband of the year stuff, right there.
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #19
Slow is the new Fast

This is a great thread Topher, thank you!

A tear , a chuckle and many smiles. All in here. Love it!

Here is a recent story in my life.

So, last spring got really dry up in these parts, which is not uncommon. The forests were dry and the lake water was unusually low for the time of year. Summer storm season kicks-off about this time. One particular afternoon there was a series of heavily charged electrical storms brewing in the region of my cabin. Its an area with a lot of forest, lakes and rivers. Areas where these storms often form. Unfortunately on this day these storms were bringing it right close to home. Lightning in fact struck the forest in at least 3 locations. All by the time the evening was over. Sadly I know this number because there were quickly 3 growing forest fires on the map, all of which were uncomfortably nearby. Below is a picture of the one that began the shortest distance away. This photo was taken over the lake shortly before the evacuation

Thankfully that pictured fire was quickly attacked by the fighters and it was promptly contained. It was to the West. West winds are prevalent in winter and very much still a regularity year come spring. So it was a relief to big done with it. Unfortunately, there was still a much larger fire further to the north-west. It was not contained and in fact beginning to take a ride on a strong wind. Watching the internet for its growth trajectory for the next several days to a week became my obsession. Sadly, It seemed like the more I payed attention the stronger the wind got. In turn the strong winds were spreading the fire faster...straight towards us no less. At its most rapid rate of spread, the fire burned through an area that brought it 10km's closer over a period of only 8-10 hours. This overnight fire-from-hell was now only 2+ kms away. Oh boy, I could feel the heat.

As you can imagine, I was not feeling so shit hot about things at this point. Covid-19 lockdown and now this misery. It was a mental struggle. I have put a shit-ton of sweat and passion into this place and was feeling particularly humbled by the prospect of it becoming firewood.

Then a miracle occured. The wind shifted. A simple miracle perhaps, but definitely effective. No longer pounding out of the NW, a wind rose up in the south and held the advancing border of the fire. This weather shift also brought rain, beautiful, glorious rain. The fire was completely contained in a few days.

While the water bombers were up in the air, fire fighters on the ground had set up sprinkler kits on our cabins to protect them from sparks. In the process of doing so they needed to land a helicopter in order to load and unload their gear. Being that there was not already a landing pad, a series of roughly 50-60 trees were taken down by the lake close to my cabin. It is a flat rock and really their ideal access point.

This summer I was left with the task of cleaning up the mess of cut trees. Over the course of a couple of months I limbed all of said trees and piled the branches in a heap. A really, really large heap. I cut so many lengths of tree trunks that I decided I would pile a bunch of them on there to. I still kept plenty for firewood. It was a lot of work piling it all up, but I still made sure to feel thankful for all of the black fly and mosquito bites I was receiving
I still had a roof overhead.

Fast Forward.

This new years eve, the weather up here was as good as it gets for this time of year. All of my few neighbors were up their cabins to celebrate the end of 2020. It seemed the time had come to ceremoniously burn the slash pile. Leaving it to become a summer fire hazard was not an option and everyone was hungry for some excitement.

So I lit it! Boy did it burn!

smog is offline   Reply With Quote

Good news thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 02:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 12:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM