Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Artemis Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Artemis Project

"NASA’s work at the Moon, which is pressing forward right now, is preparing us for the next giant leap: challenging missions to Mars and other deep-space destinations. As we approach the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 in July 2019, NASA is moving forward to the Moon and on to Mars – and wants the world to come along."

"To give astronauts a place to live and work on the Moon"

Wow, that's crazy. Sending Astronauts back to the moon by 2024 and then living and working on the moon??!!??

Wonder how long it'll be after they land they'll force people to wear a mask there
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Artemis Project

Would be kind of neato if we figured out how to not destroy this planet before we set our sights on a few more. Shocking part to me is if we really did go to the moon 60 years ago why is it not a normal thing by now? Slide rule technology and we had bigger balls back then I suppose.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Would be kind of neato if we figured out how to not destroy this planet before we set our sights on a few more. Shocking part to me is if we really did go to the moon 60 years ago why is it not a normal thing by now? Slide rule technology and we had bigger balls back then I suppose.
I agree 1000%

Seriously though, I agree.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Combine one massive fluke with a metric shit ton less snowflakes in the world and you get one hell of ride to the Moon
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Combine one massive fluke with a metric shit ton less snowflakes in the world and you get one hell of ride to the Moon

That's the best thing I've heard today!
Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

That's the best thing I've heard today!
In all fairness, it was six missions that landed on the moon, miracle is more like it. The phone I'm typing this out on had more compute power then those popcans they rode to the Moon and back, not a snowflake in sight.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Meh… I'd go, if I could take my crawlers.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Kennedy Space Center is incredible to see, in Cape Canaveral, Fla. If the cruise industry ever gets going again and you schedule a Caribbean cruise, allow 2 days to visit this place. Every bit worth the price of admission. The amount of fuel held (HTP, hydrogen peroxide mixture) and the rate it is consumed by those rockets to get into space, yikes. No snowflake riders there. Google it and see the pics, pretty amazing.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yep, the space centers are really cool places to visit. When I lived in TX, I had a season pass to Johnson Space Center just outside Houston. It's where all the Apollo lunar missions were ran from. It's an eerie feeling to sit in the very seats that wives, and family sat in anxiously awaiting word of the successful lunar landing for Apollo 11. Just standing next to one of the nozzles from one of the Saturn rockets (what took the Apollo crafts into space) gives you a sense of how nuts the whole thing was, and what huge stones those guys had to climb aboard.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Complete waist of resources !! Why cant we figure out our problems on the planet we live on first before we trash another one ??
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Complete waist of resources !! Why cant we figure out our problems on the planet we live on first before we trash another one ??

*see post #2, hate to say this but we agree lol

I always crack up over movies showing colonies in climate controlled 'domes' or what not on other planets, my first thought is 'we would have to do that here first instead of on a planet with a hostile environment and gravity issues'

I'm not a tree hugger but I do think we could have probably moved past gasoline comubstion engines right now, and no, I don't think electric is the answer, the power to charge those batteries isn't magic, just a longer extension cord really.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Our biggest problem in this planet is the number of people on it. The only way we are going to not continue to trash it and reverse the damage is to get rid of about half of our population.

Quote:
*see post #2, hate to say this but we agree lol

I always crack up over movies showing colonies in climate controlled 'domes' or what not on other planets, my first thought is 'we would have to do that here first instead of on a planet with a hostile environment and gravity issues'

I'm not a tree hugger but I do think we could have probably moved past gasoline comubstion engines right now, and no, I don't think electric is the answer, the power to charge those batteries isn't magic, just a longer extension cord really.
The biggest bangs for the buck and the overall cleanest power sources are nuclear and hydrogen fuel cell. If we'd invest into those technologies to make them safer, we'd be better with clean energy.

Nuclear has its obvious drawback, but modern nuclear plants are very safe, and clean, only generating a 55 gallon drum of waste every 50 years or so (per plant).

Hydrogen fuel cell's only byproduct is water. But, they need to find a way to stabilize stored hydrogen so that it wasn't immediately explosive when it hits the atmosphere.

Batteries and solar really are not the solution. Neither has a recycle plan, other than going into a land fill. Solar panels are getting better, but the energy density for the area they consume is tiny.

But again, no green technology will matter with the size of our population. The only option is start looking at other planets to expand to.

Last edited by Greatscott; 01-13-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Artemis Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 09:53 AM