Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Fat Tire and Cruiser Bikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Fat Tire and Cruiser Bikes

Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for fat tire and cruiser bikes?

I’ve been working on getting into better shape and have started using the stationary bikes at the gym I go to, but the bike I bought in 2000 when I was still working for Toys R Us is just not any good any more. Is there someplace that I can go online to look at what’s out there now? I’m looking for something under $500 if possible, no E-Assist, and would like it to be multi speed too.

Am asking for too much, even if used?
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2023, 07:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fat Tire and Cruiser Bikes

Is your budget $500 per bike?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i really like my townie its not a fat tire bike but its a extremely comfortable cruzer bike i think mine was $400 for the base model

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...rCode=bluedark

cruzer style

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...lorCode=bronze

Last edited by ferp420; 10-06-2023 at 08:16 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:23 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Is your budget $500 per bike?

No, just something from either style for $500 or less, probably would start looking when I get my taxes back next year unless I find something used quicker.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Fat tire bike. Where would you be riding? Street, sand, snow or woods. If you live in a snowy or sandy area then yes as a possibility.
Look at bikes with plus size tires. Not as big as a fat tire. Plus tire 2.8- 3.0" wide. Fat tire 4'' wide.
Local bike shops could have some used bikes. Facebook market place. Pawn shops.
Be sure to get the right size frame for you.
I tried a fat tire bike once. It felt like I was dragging a couple cinder blocks behind me. So a pass for me.
The Townie is a really good option. If I remember correctly, it's a flat foot design.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I tried out a fat tire - agree with cul8tr, there's a ton of rolling resistance. Rode nice though, and certainly looked nice. Good in the woods, but terrible on the street. Having said that, I'd say your best bet is keep an eye on classifieds in your area, there's just not a lot out there under $500 anymore.

I recently swapped out my 29" MTB for a basic Trek cruiser, $480ish IIRC. I call it my "old man bike" It's a more upright position, but my wrists and back have never been happier.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I, too, have tried a fat tire bike. I didn't much care for it. My wife has a Townie and loves it. It's a very comfy bike to ride. Any hybrid type bike is good for street and light trails with a more upright riding position.

A few years ago, I sold my mountain bike and found two Schwinn beach cruisers cheap (one single speed, one 5 speed) on Offer up in great condition. I turned them both into what I call adult BMX cruisers. It's all a matter of what type of riding you'll ultimately be doing.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Fat tire bike. Where would you be riding? Street, sand, snow or woods. If you live in a snowy or sandy area then yes as a possibility.
Look at bikes with plus size tires. Not as big as a fat tire. Plus tire 2.8- 3.0" wide. Fat tire 4'' wide.
I tried a fat tire bike once. It felt like I was dragging a couple cinder blocks behind me. So a pass for me.
The Townie is a really good option. If I remember correctly, it's a flat foot design.
Thanks!

I’d be sticking to streets and bike paths that may be paved or gravel, that said, some of the reason I was looking at a fat tire is my weight, still being pretty fat myself, though I’m now 130lbs lighter than I once was and have been primarily lifting weights with some fairly heavy leg work for exercise, I’m still over 300lbs, so something sturdy with some gears will help, especially on what we gave that passes for hills.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i really like my townie its not a fat tire bike but its a extremely comfortable cruzer bike i think mine was $400 for the base model

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...rCode=bluedark

cruzer style

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...lorCode=bronze
I had looked at those while I break yesterday and there is a Trek store not far from here too!
Old 10-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I tried out a fat tire - agree with cul8tr, there's a ton of rolling resistance. Rode nice though, and certainly looked nice. Good in the woods, but terrible on the street. Having said that, I'd say your best bet is keep an eye on classifieds in your area, there's just not a lot out there under $500 anymore.

I recently swapped out my 29" MTB for a basic Trek cruiser, $480ish IIRC. I call it my "old man bike" It's a more upright position, but my wrists and back have never been happier.
Quote:
I, too, have tried a fat tire bike. I didn't much care for it. My wife has a Townie and loves it. It's a very comfy bike to ride. Any hybrid type bike is good for street and light trails with a more upright riding position.

A few years ago, I sold my mountain bike and found two Schwinn beach cruisers cheap (one single speed, one 5 speed) on Offer up in great condition. I turned them both into what I call adult BMX cruisers. It's all a matter of what type of riding you'll ultimately be doing.

Thanks for the input on Fat Tire bikes, I had been reading some on those and wondered if the gearing and weight training would have been helpful there, though I don’t plan on riding in anything worse than prairie path gravel. I may try and ride to work now that I’m at a place that is about 4 miles from home and almost all residential streets to get to and from there with minimal hills and one rail road overpass that is short and has a bit of a grade to get over it.
I am
Curious, if I had the parts and tools, would it be possible to add multiple pedal sprockets like a road or mountain bike to a cruiser that already was set up as a 5 or 7 speed?
Old 10-07-2023, 10:03 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

I also have a fat bike I ride in snow, otherwise never. Much better to get something with skinnier tires for cruising. They have superior performance in all but the gnar.

Hybrid bikes are nice for city cruising with light trails. You can even get some with a short travel front suspe sion fork if you like a bit of cush. These bikes have a tall tire and are designed for a comfortable ride but allow you to make some distance should you desire

My .02
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I also have a fat bike I ride in snow, otherwise never. Much better to get something with skinnier tires for cruising. They have superior performance in all but the gnar.

Hybrid bikes are nice for city cruising with light trails. You can even get some with a short travel front suspe sion fork if you like a bit of cush. These bikes have a tall tire and are designed for a comfortable ride but allow you to make some distance should you desire

My .02
Wasn’t aware of the short travel forks, that would be nice, even if I were to add that later!
Old 10-07-2023, 08:52 PM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Wasn’t aware of the short travel forks, that would be nice, even if I were to add that later!
Something like this

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-san-rafael-ds1
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:35 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Suspension is a big plus for me. I ride trail. Streets a hardtail at least.
With covid and amazon at the PO. I don't get much time to ride anymore. Hopefully my route will adjusted by the end or first of the year.
I did get a ebike to help me get back into riding shape. It's a blessing for an old man.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Suspension is a big plus for me. I ride trail. Streets a hardtail at least.
With covid and amazon at the PO. I don't get much time to ride anymore. Hopefully my route will adjusted by the end or first of the year.
I did get a ebike to help me get back into riding shape. It's a blessing for an old man.
That is the nice part about the stationary bikes at the Planet Fitness I go to, I van hop on one of those to try and get back into riding shape. Rode for about three different 5 mile segments last night and tonight there, burned over over 100 calories for each 5 mile ride too.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:51 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Thanks for the input on Fat Tire bikes, I had been reading some on those and wondered if the gearing and weight training would have been helpful there, though I don’t plan on riding in anything worse than prairie path gravel. I may try and ride to work now that I’m at a place that is about 4 miles from home and almost all residential streets to get to and from there with minimal hills and one rail road overpass that is short and has a bit of a grade to get over it.

I am

Curious, if I had the parts and tools, would it be possible to add multiple pedal sprockets like a road or mountain bike to a cruiser that already was set up as a 5 or 7 speed?
A single sprocket up front is much better than multiple. A single is smoother. Even on a five or seven speed bike with a single sprocket, You probably won't even use all of those gears.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A single sprocket up front is much better than multiple. A single is smoother. Even on a five or seven speed bike with a single sprocket, You probably won't even use all of those gears.

Thanks, that’s good to know too!

Quick side note, I ended up doing the same three 5 mile rides Tuesday and today, planned on doing this again Friday night, but turns out Saturday is going to be a busy day and it may be wise not to hit the gym after dinner like I planned since we’re going to be leaving the house earlier that I planned on waking up…..
Old 10-13-2023, 11:31 AM   #18
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Don't let your weight affect a decision on a bike selection. The bike will handle that fine. Someone mentioned making sure the frame is the correct size and that really is critical. Get help if you are unsure. Bike fit is often overlooked, especially if buying a used one. It's difficult to shop for a used bike and correct fit. Correct frame size can make the difference between wanting to continue to ride it or not.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Don't let your weight affect a decision on a bike selection. The bike will handle that fine. Someone mentioned making sure the frame is the correct size and that really is critical. Get help if you are unsure. Bike fit is often overlooked, especially if buying a used one. It's difficult to shop for a used bike and correct fit. Correct frame size can make the difference between wanting to continue to ride it or not.
Dad and I did a little looking around today after lunch, I’m considering a new 7 Speed Townie type at this point as well as a shop that is riding distance from home. One thing Dad is concerned about is what weight the wheels and tires can handle, one shop did mention something about building “Clydesdale Wheels” that would be larger gage spokes and beefier wheels if needed.
I seem to be stuck at around 370lbs right now, though there’s 5 months to bust my butt in the gym and drop more before it’s time to buy a new bike.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #20
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I still stand by what I posted with the understanding that extremely light-weight racing-style bicycles would most likely not be good choices. Correct fit is really important and I'll add that a well-known reputable brand of bike would also be important. Your bike dealer should be able to suggest a few good choices within whatever you've established for your bike budget.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote

Fat Tire and Cruiser Bikes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fat tire Bronco Jeep CJ Axial SCX-10 6 01-19-2011 07:03 PM
Need help to find a fat, scale looking crawler tire Tomy Tires and Wheels 6 10-25-2009 04:25 PM
Outlawed kids dirt bikes and pit bikes? STOP THIS! h8z2luze Chit Chat 57 02-23-2009 07:43 PM
Quads , Dirt bikes , Street bikes offroad1911 Scale Accessories 1 04-29-2007 09:14 AM