Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lhs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lhs

Anyone elses LHS a total goon who doesn't care about crawling? The guy is over charging everything, doesn't listen to questions etc. The only people who know anything about RC crawling have been on here... I look at a couple Hitec servos and he's charging over 50 bucks each! mambo motors and esc he's charging close to three hundred bucks each, I start asking him questions and he starts talking chinese with his buddy looking at nitro stuff... Gives RC crawling no respect I tell ya. 40 series beadlocks I'm really interested in, two a pack, chargers over 50 bucks! I was afraid to ask what the 4X4 wheely king cost. He lost any sale he was going to get, the for sale section is getting any money I'm going to throw at this hobby.
marmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
'08 2.2 National Champ

There are a couple of local hobby shops in my area that are really cool and even stock crawler stuff. As a small business owner I try to support GOOD local businesses in my area. If the guy isn't willing to help you out then that is one thing but if you have a lhs in your area that is willing to help you and get crawler specific stuff in you should really support them.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There are 3 lhs near me, another one is 45 minutes away. I only go to one of the three close by once a month and I got to the one 45 minutes away about ever other week. The one close by will let me look through the dealer catalogs for part numbers and stuff but they don't really want to help you. The one 45 minutes away is one of the few that really wants to help and is interested in what we do.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
RCC Addict

there are some realy good hs out there the one close to my house and the owner stocks crawler stuff me and him were talking and he said most of the peplle that come here are crawler people.he has helped my on so many things when i go there i.e setting up links,hooking up the diffs,paint tips.... and sometimes he will give me a discount. he store may not be huge but every one that works there is very freindly and nice and smart.and if he doesn't have something he will order it

support your lhs
if you can
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

yah my lhs owner just looks at me and says " c-r-a-w-l-e-r? wat the hell is that? lol so i have to drive about an hour to get to a hobbyshop that actually knows what a "cralwer" is. its enought to pis* you off
dave
davidcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There are 2 near me( an hour away in different directions) the ine in mobile has one person that builds and knows crawlers and scale but the other guys just look at me like I am speaking a foreign language. the one in Gulfport is run by a older couple that will go out of the way to help, but they mainly deal with traxxas stuff
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I go in any of the 3 LHS's and ask for a part or something, and they always ask what's it going on. I'm like ah sh!t, here we go, I tell them it's a custom rig and just request the parts catalog and tell them the part # I want. That or look it up at home then just ask for it when I arrive.
Although one shop is showing interest in crawling, . I visit them more often since they are showing interest.
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've got 2 near me.

Closest is a HobbyTown, and it's staffed by teenaged Dungeons and Dragons geeks. You have to interrupt their game of Yu-Gi-Oh or whatever they're jacking with that day to get them to ring you up. IF they had what you needed in the first place. I only go there for rod ends or other stuff I know they have.

The good lhs is about a 30 minute drive, but at least the guys there are die-hard rc enthusiasts and can grasp the crawler concept. They know I'm looking for parts for a custom application and let me roam behind the counter at my leisure looking for the right stuff. Their inventory is 100 times bigger too.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
there are some realy good hs out there the one close to my house and the owner stocks crawler stuff me and him were talking and he said most of the peplle that come here are crawler people.he has helped my on so many things when i go there i.e setting up links,hooking up the diffs,paint tips.... and sometimes he will give me a discount. he store may not be huge but every one that works there is very freindly and nice and smart.and if he doesn't have something he will order it

support your lhs
if you can
What one are you referring to? West Valley or Hobby Habit?
Mr. Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

My lhs is a pile of bull**** you walk in there and surrounded buy touring car stuff and can hardly move with some little old bloke and you ask for something 4x4 or offroad he will just look at you and say "what?" then he always tells you how he used to race tourinng cars and thinks offroad is over rated. grrrrrrrrr
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
What one are you referring toWest Valley or Hobby Habit?
hobby habit and once in a while apex
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Hi guys! Let me introduce myself. My name is Corey Cochran, I own Apex Hobby. I every so often search the internet looking for people talking about my hobby shop and try to help out.

What kind of things are you guys looking for us to carry as your LHS? I know we dont have to much along the crawling lines but let me know what you want.

Thanks

Corey Cochran
ApexHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

first off corey welcome to the forum
you run a decent hs in af. i dont know ya remember me but i was the one with esc probs? you run a nice hobby shop there
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmech View Post
Anyone elses LHS a total goon who doesn't care about crawling? The guy is over charging everything, doesn't listen to questions etc. The only people who know anything about RC crawling have been on here... I look at a couple Hitec servos and he's charging over 50 bucks each!
Sounds like Danseys here in Vegas.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexHobby View Post
Hi guys! Let me introduce myself. My name is Corey Cochran, I own Apex Hobby. I every so often search the internet looking for people talking about my hobby shop and try to help out.

What kind of things are you guys looking for us to carry as your LHS? I know we dont have to much along the crawling lines but let me know what you want.

Thanks

Corey Cochran
Sup Corey, This is Alan. Tammys brother. On the kind of stuff that we would like to see or need is axle shafts, gears, motors, tires, rims, ESC's, Radios, links, Rod ends, shocks, springs, bodes, and a lot of other odd and ends. TLT parts, clod parts, Wheely king parts and others just to name a few. I guess the best way to find out what we need is just look at what parts it takes to build a crawler (2.2, Supers)
Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The trick to the hobby shops is you gotta train 'em! You gotta take your junk in there and show 'em what you got. Then you'll kinda see the lightbulb turn on. I had the exact same experience at the one good hobby shop in town here. They all looked at me weird at first. But I just kept coming in and buggin' 'em. And I showed my stuff to them. Now they carry Axial beadlocks and all sorts of driveshaft parts, they have the Axial crawler on order, etc.

I think the killer is that many hobby shops have to go through specific distributors (or something like that) so stocking things like RC4WD beadlocks or aftermarket chassis and other things that aren't distributed through "normal channels" can be difficult.

We also have like a hobby shop like Big Mike described. D&D nerds that know jack diddley about anything. Those types are just straight-up un-trainable.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

well besides the servos, tires, paints, bodies, esc (certain ones only non of the good ones ) and odds and ends my lhs only carries the stuff that is nitro related, helis, planes and boats.

i guess since only myself , daughter and nephew have crawlers in our city doesn't help much and the fact that their prices are outrageous i only go in for painting stuff. it seems even though they are purty big i could probably buy from here and resale at their price and make a profit.

they are very helpful even though they have the dumbfounded look most of the time i'm talking to them. the owner did crap in his pants when we added up the cash that was spent on the 3 tlt's i have built and he only got to sell me the paints and one body and a set of extra body pins.

I like the vendors in the forum and have my favoritess for certain parts, they are in the know and besides selling great products they help tons in making decisions on what to buy. everything else is on the for sale section but you have to be patient but damn the prices are awsome and i have met a lot of great people thru these transactions.

my 2 cents on lhs vs Vendor/for sale section
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
Sup Corey, This is Alan. Tammys brother. On the kind of stuff that we would like to see or need is axle shafts, gears, motors, tires, rims, ESC's, Radios, links, Rod ends, shocks, springs, bodes, and a lot of other odd and ends. TLT parts, clod parts, Wheely king parts and others just to name a few. I guess the best way to find out what we need is just look at what parts it takes to build a crawler (2.2, Supers)
Whats up Alan! Kinda figured I would find you on here

I can get all that type of stuff I just dont want to order a ton of stuff that will never get used. I will see what it takes and start stocking the basics.

Corey
ApexHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default tulsa shops suck

our shops here in tulsa suck!!! period if you dont race anything they wont even talk to ya.. i went in to have them order a set of 2.2 moabs
and was told they cant get them, they told me they were crap and i should use tmaxx tires on a 2.2 rig?:-x, so i asked about ordering some tamiya parts and they said they can only get ASSociated or losi crap wtf? so as i walked out the door i told them all my purchases will be on rccrawler only c-ya.. i wish i had a shop owner around here
that is like apex....good job on listening to your customer base
mrmaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:07 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexHobby View Post
Whats up Alan! Kinda figured I would find you on here

I can get all that type of stuff I just dont want to order a ton of stuff that will never get used. I will see what it takes and start stocking the basics.

Corey
will right now there are pretty much 2 hobby stores around here that have parts we need. but if one doesn't have the part then we got to drive 30 miles to the other but if you had parts then it would only be 2 miles to drive, i know how inventory sitting around can hurt you but if you seen how often we brake stuff then you would know that your inventory wont be sitting around long