Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: MTB Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MTB Help!

I am looking for a cheap bike to build-up for when I make my trip across the land of the red rock(UTAH). I don't know what I want yet but I was looking at a Specialized Rock hopper w/disks or a Raleigh Mojave 4.0 w/disks. I want a hard tail because I am a big guy and have had bad luck with full suspension setups. Also I am a not looking at spending anything above $500 at this moment.
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #2

Of the two you have named I'd go for the Specialized Rock hopper. What sort of riding will you doing? From the choice of bike Im guessing XC/ All Mountain?
Dan_Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yah, I will be doing just some trail rides with some small drops.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
'08 2.2 National Champ

You are not going to get anything that will hold up to a big guy that will do some drops and jumps, even small ones for less than $500. I would say get a Kona Hoss. They run around $800 and will take a beating. They are meant for big guys or hard riders or both.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
You are not going to get anything that will hold up to a big guy that will do some drops and jumps, even small ones for less than $500. I would say get a Kona Hoss. They run around $800 and will take a beating. They are meant for big guys or hard riders or both.
I agree, you are going to want to save up a few more bucks. I would say something in the 800-1000$ range. Youll get much better components (IE wheels, shifters, derailleurs etc) and the bike will hold up a lot better.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Second vote for the Kona Hoss.

You said you're a big guy, but didn't specify your weight height. Basically, if you're over 220, there aren't really very many other choices on the market as far as hardtails go. Dirt Jump frames tend to be pretty sturdy, but not comfortable for ended trail rides.

Other hardtails will hold up to normal trailriding, but as soon as you throw some drops into the mix, you're gonna want some beef under you.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

One word: Singlespeed.

I am a big dude and the only thing that holds up is a Chromoly frame or Ti with a really nice wheel set. Simple, nice and cheap.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
One word: Singlespeed.

I am a big dude and the only thing that holds up is a Chromoly frame or Ti with a really nice wheel set. Simple, nice and cheap.
That reminds me of a company Ive had a few components from www.on-one.co.uk , they might be small but their stuff is really good!
Dan_Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Very nice stuff.

I would love to have an Orange or Spot singlespeed. I am working on getting a Moots Ti frame to do one up soon. Hopefully.....
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Okay, maybe I need to say I am a big big dude. As in I am 6'3" and weigh 315. That Kona Ross is looking pretty good right now. One question thou, Would full-suspension help for jumps and stuff? I mean now that I am thinking a little harder maybe I should just save up some more for the perfect bike for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I would be careful withe full suspension. Get a rear shock rated for your weight. I know most are for around 200 lbs or so. I know you can get some beefed up ones for big guys. I have blown out rear shocks jumping and drops.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Are single speeds more difficult to ride for hills and such, I mean I ride road bikes and I am accustomed to using almost every gear.

Maybe I should just build a new crawler for the trip, I have a Giant and it has held my huge self for 7 years now with no problems. It has no suspension at all and gets the job done. It also survived a couple trips to SnowShoe. I dont know what I am going to go with.

Last edited by joecrawler; 06-26-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

When I ride I usually powered through without changing gears. Possibly why I enjoy the simplicity of the singlespeed.

If you ride out of the saddle at all then you will like the SS. If not then you will have issues.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
When I ride I usually powered through without changing gears. Possibly why I enjoy the simplicity of the singlespeed.

If you ride out of the saddle at all then you will like the SS. If not then you will have issues.
i ahree with single speed.. i kinda wish i had one now.. i live in many hills and i just stay in one gear i don't think i've come out of it for about 6 months and that gear is 1:7
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I will have to look at a single because I very rarely sit when I am on a trail because it is all technical here and no long down hill stretches.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You will enjoy the SS.