Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: FJ Cruiser or Xterra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
'08 2.2 National Champ

Default FJ Cruiser or Xterra

I'm going to be getting a new suv soon. Just wondering what you guys think on the FJ Cruiser vs the Xterra. I have driven both and like them both. The FJ feels like a better built car, but the Xterra has better visibilty, rear room, and is a little less. The other thing is that its going to be for my bike shop so the FJ will probably grab more attention.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the xterra are kinda top heavy and tend to roll fairly easy in a sh!tty situation. not really sure about the FJ but they have been catching my eye more and more lately.
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

my buddy has a lifted xterra and loves the hell outta it.... pulls a 18 ft chapparal boat with it without issue also......the fj has the toy name on it so its gonna last but i looked into the fj and the locking center diff makes a nice capable offroader if not a little long
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I cant give you an opinion on the Fj besides its looks, which I think are worse than the Xterra. My wife drives an Xterra, I drive it only when I have to.

An antifreeze leak became obvious at 50K miles, couldnt locate it so we took it to the stealership.They said its the intake manfold and that they would have to take the engine out to replace the gasket (sounds like BS to me). Lowball estimate of $1200 to fix. Of coures Nissan wouldnt stand behind it even though 50k seems to be a very premature failure of an intake manifold gasket. I guess these things are fond of eating blower motor resistors to the tune of $38 a piece. Been about a year since the last one, so it should be failing again soon. Theres been various other little gremlins and bugs.

The handling sucks (mostly due to bulky tires with huge sidewalls and the ride height), the seats get pretty uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes at a time so long trips always suck, the mileage sucks and it always feels underpowered. Not to mention there doesnt seem to be very many cool accessories for it. We do enjoy the cargo space though. But the fold down back seat is annoying because you have to remove the bottom cushions to fold the seat down. Then youre left with these 2 akward pieces that you have to keep track of while loading ang unloading stuff. It feels like the quality of the vehicle is way off compared to the great things Ive always heard about Nissans.
All in all, I give it 2 thumbs down and cant wait to trade it off. Just my .02

Last edited by RivBlueNoma; 06-26-2007 at 07:21 AM.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
MODERHATER™

TOYOTA for sure!!! Check Consumer Reports! I know 3 people that have the new FJ's, one has over 100k on it already with not one issue, my sis bought the Limited Edition TRD one and that thing is a hoss! We out wheeled a new JK with and raced it too, the JK ate dust! Fuel mileage is good even while hot rodding it.

I test drove the Xterra's a while back, I was not impressed, all kinds of squeaks and rattles, stupid engineering, I drove a few of the supercharged ones, my '84 FJ60 with 33's could out run it and it's a dog!

I used to dog Toyota's, now that I one one, well a few, I am a beleiver!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
TOYOTA for sure!!! Check Consumer Reports! I know 3 people that have the new FJ's, one has over 100k on it already with not one issue, my sis bought the Limited Edition TRD one and that thing is a hoss! We out wheeled a new JK with and raced it too, the JK ate dust! Fuel mileage is good even while hot rodding it.

I test drove the Xterra's a while back, I was not impressed, all kinds of squeaks and rattles, stupid engineering, I drove a few of the supercharged ones, my '84 FJ60 with 33's could out run it and it's a dog!

I used to dog Toyota's, now that I one one, well a few, I am a beleiver!
Really I think that I am going to be getting the FJ. I think that the new Xterras are better than they used to be but the FJ just seems to be better built. I would love to get the TRD model but I doubt I will be able to find one, besides, it would be more fun to make my own.

Honestly, I'm getting the answer I expected. I agree with some of you, I like the styling of the FJ, but I'm not sure I love it.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Toyota!! I have driven the Xterra and have also been unimpressed. I have not driven the FJ yet but have been under it, in it, and everything else. I am also not a huge fan of the FJ style but I did just see a black TRD one with a black top that just looked BAD!!! I personally own a 97 Toyota 4Runner, (which replaced my hugely built Jeep TJ) and I love it. I too would get the TRD model if I was buying one.
TJ_Shunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Shunk View Post
Toyota I did just see a black TRD one with a black top that just looked BAD!!!
Thats what my sister got, wicked ride! They always want to go wheeling but I don't want to take it out anywhere so it does not get scratched anymore, I got the pleasure of doing the first scratch, all I heard was **** you, you ****ing **** your such a ****head, I'm going to ****ing kick your stupid ****in ***, dumbass!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

LOL I bought mine prescratched so I don't worry about it If your going to wheel it, scratches are inevitable. But that is pure comedy there! We took my TJ on the trail the second week I had it and put a good 4"x4" dent in my passenger Rocker panel. The wife reacted the same way.
TJ_Shunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Out of the 2 I would do the FJ.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
Out of the 2 I would do the FJ.
X2 ;)
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

FJ, it also has a little known power outlet in the rear, forget where, but that might be useful for you.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster View Post
FJ, it also has a little known power outlet in the rear, forget where, but that might be useful for you.

Now this is quality advice!

I almost bought an FJ Cruiser until I found out that Toyota wouldn't honor the discount deal I would normally get through work. It was because the FJ was "too popular" for them to give any discount.

They seem to be quality built and as you said, they garner attention even bone stock.

My advice would be to go drive a used Xterra with more than 20k on it and see if you still like them... It should make the decision to buy the FJ easy.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Now this is quality advice!

I almost bought an FJ Cruiser until I found out that Toyota wouldn't honor the discount deal I would normally get through work. It was because the FJ was "too popular" for them to give any discount.

They seem to be quality built and as you said, they garner attention even bone stock.

My advice would be to go drive a used Xterra with more than 20k on it and see if you still like them... It should make the decision to buy the FJ easy.

thats crap, you would think more popular means they sell more of em so they could really afford to give you the discount. but anyway my GF had an 04 with like 37k on it. and it sucked, it rode rough got sh!tty gas milage, and then she rolled it 2 times and onto the roof. but ill tell ya, she made it out with just a scratch and a bruise from the seatbelt from hanging upside down. but the roof caved in about 7 inches and the structural integrity seemed to not be what nissan made it out to be. but i dont know, go with what you feel is better but thats my opinion.
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I must say, I would never drive a FJC, I think they look like a total pile of poo, they went way overboard with the styling, moe than an H3 and, so far everyone Iv'e met who owns, or anyone I've seen driving one has been very yuppie like, and I wouldn't want to been seen as that.

I'm not much of a fan of xterra's either, but the styling is tons better.

Other than that I cant put any insight into this, as I've not driven either.
ThatKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster View Post
So does the Xterra
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I got the fj, that can stand as my recommendation
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
'08 2.2 National Champ

Thanks for the suggestions, more than anything it just helped me choose what I was already going to do. I guess I know what color I am going to paint my scale fj now