Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Bronco II engine swap????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Bronco II engine swap????

Well i no that i have posted a lot of problems about my bronco II. Well we got it runnin again, thanks to ur guys help. (it was the fuel pump cut off switch). Well we got it runnin and my step dad and i went crazy with it. Well we jumped it a little bit and when we hit the ground the motor locked up.

Now to the question. Has anyone on here done a engine swap for a bronco II? Is it pretty simple? We plan on just finding another 2.9L engine in it, but is there any other engines that would fit in with no real probs?
Thanks for the help.
west virginia krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The engine bay really isn't that big. But I would ditch the 2.9L.. For a 5.0 or other Ford motor. 2.9L will be the easiest and cheapest to do. Not sure if the stock tranny could handle a 5.0..
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Trying to have Fun Again

Search this site they will help you out on anything bronco II parts.

http://www.jamesduff.com
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
The engine bay really isn't that big. But I would ditch the 2.9L.. For a 5.0 or other Ford motor. 2.9L will be the easiest and cheapest to do. Not sure if the stock tranny could handle a 5.0..
Yea, we may have a 2.9L that we can get for free, but we also have a ford explorer with a 4.0L and the tranny is about to go, and when it goes we may be able to drop it in there. But it has 293,000 miles on it. But at the same time its just a beater. Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
If you could bolt the stock tranny to a 5.0 it could, for a while

Swapping engines is not that hard if you are taking one out and replacing it with the same thing. From your posts I will tell you to do just that as a 5.0 will take a lot of work and wrenching not suited for a beginer (sorry but if a fuel pump cutoff gives you trouble custom fab is not for you). A 4.0L V-6 from a Ranger will fit as well and will require far less work than a v-8 but still will be involved.

If you want to read up on swaps and such head over to www.therangerstation.com/forums/ and search swaps
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
If you could bolt the stock tranny to a 5.0 it could, for a while

Swapping engines is not that hard if you are taking one out and replacing it with the same thing. From your posts I will tell you to do just that as a 5.0 will take a lot of work and wrenching not suited for a beginer (sorry but if a fuel pump cutoff gives you trouble custom fab is not for you). A 4.0L V-6 from a Ranger will fit as well and will require far less work than a v-8 but still will be involved.

If you want to read up on swaps and such head over to www.therangerstation.com/forums/ and search swaps
Thanks for the help. The whole fuel pump thing was just cause it was a new thing to us. We have only worked with our carburated engines. And we got the fab skills, we swaped a 351 out of our other bronco to a 429. My step dad nows all that stuff tho, im still learnin.