Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: need help with: building a house stereo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default need help with: building a house stereo

ok im upgrading the surround sound in my room and im putting a subwoofer and amp in that are designed to be used in car audio, my question is;

How would I figure out what amprage 12v power supply I need?? Here is the link to the amp I will be using!!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=399
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

most computer power supplys put out 12V, the only problem is that car and home audio are two very different things. You might get lucky and find a great combo for the space you have but you would be better off getting a setup meant for home, and it will save you a headache or two.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
most computer power supplys put out 12V, the only problem is that car and home audio are two very different things. You might get lucky and find a great combo for the space you have but you would be better off getting a setup meant for home, and it will save you a headache or two.
all i need is a power inverter that puts out enough amprage to handle my amp, I just dont know how to calc. what size inverter I need!!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
I lost my vendor privileges

what size amp? what kind? go to radio smak and ask a few ?'s
or call a car stereo place.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodstall View Post
what size amp? what kind? go to radio smak and ask a few ?'s
or call a car stereo place.
there is a link to the amp in my first post!!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Your advised NOT to do that.... By the time you go and put all that effort out for the power supply which should creat quite a bit of heat and be unsafe and the power supply creating noise which could actually compromise the sound quality. Car subs do not produce close to the quality of a home system due to their designed for small enclosures (mini vans at the biggest space).

Go and spend teh $110 on the sub (about what all the BS to get the car amp working)

Get a decent receiver for your home system (your built in amp) and go at it

I looked around a while and built a Onkyo powered 5.1 system running an 8" sub (came with the pioneer speaker system) for right around $300.

Receiver ran $200 and the speakers ran $100(look for deals) purchased an extra 10" sub (cause I could) $110 and cant be happier with the system. I looked for speaker mounts for my satelites and came across $50 mounts for 2 speakers locally and got on

AMERICAS YARD SALE.................................EBAY
and found the mounts for $30 for 6.

There is no reason to use car audio at home sound quality isnt any good in a room and they will just sound muddled
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_Dok View Post
Your advised NOT to do that.... By the time you go and put all that effort out for the power supply which should creat quite a bit of heat and be unsafe and the power supply creating noise which could actually compromise the sound quality. Car subs do not produce close to the quality of a home system due to their designed for small enclosures (mini vans at the biggest space).

Go and spend teh $110 on the sub (about what all the BS to get the car amp working)

Get a decent receiver for your home system (your built in amp) and go at it

I looked around a while and built a Onkyo powered 5.1 system running an 8" sub (came with the pioneer speaker system) for right around $300.

Receiver ran $200 and the speakers ran $100(look for deals) purchased an extra 10" sub (cause I could) $110 and cant be happier with the system. I looked for speaker mounts for my satelites and came across $50 mounts for 2 speakers locally and got on

AMERICAS YARD SALE.................................EBAY
and found the mounts for $30 for 6.

There is no reason to use car audio at home sound quality isnt any good in a room and they will just sound muddled
ok im going to be running a jl audio w7 one of the highest quility subwoofers on the market, jl audio uses the same exact sub in their home audio line, i already have the amp and sub sitting here and dont have anything to put it in, and im not putting it in my jeep because it probably wouldnt be in there for more then a day or so because someone would steal it!!

I already have a nice receiver, speakers; im just looking for more bass without blowing the bank, all I would have to buy is a power supply

and i know plenty of ppl that run car audio amps and subs in house systems!! most run dj amps, i can find a decent dj amp for under $600 or $700 that could push my sub!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My brother bought an amp the other day so he could use one of the L5's out of his car in his room. It only sounds good if you are in the room, everywhere else it sounds like crap. Some of the doors were vibrating badly, there were also some things that fell of of shelvs.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
RCC Addict

the same thing happens in a car get out and stand behind the car and see what it sounds like!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yes, but his car is Dynomatted, all you hear is some rattle from the liscense plate. Its kinda hard to Dynamat a house.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Trying to have Fun Again

Get a home audio 2 channel amp. The reason jl uses thier w7 in home audio is because they matched the woofer to the box and to the amp. That is why JL audio Home subs cost so much.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
Get a home audio 2 channel amp. The reason jl uses thier w7 in home audio is because they matched the woofer to the box and to the amp. That is why JL audio Home subs cost so much.
the amps that power their home audio woofer boxes have all the same tech. as their slash series amps according to their rep, I talked to on the phone!! he said that the w7 and amp i have will work fine in a house i just need to make sure my powersupply is big enough to handle the current draw, he could tell me the answer as, he didnt know it and it was saterday when I called and they didnt have any techs. avalible to answer my question!!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #13
Donkey Punch Champion!

I have several years retailing car and home audio gear. You are wasting your TIME and MONEY on this project. Do your self a favor and get home audio equipment. I was going to do this for a garage and added up the cost. You can listen to experience or continue on your path. Good luck.

Ryan
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

maybe he lives in a mobile home.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rivergatedist.com/PowerSupply.htm

That amp you have should have a fuse in it - get the next size up power supply if that's all you're going to run off it.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would suggest you use equipment made for home audio as well, for the reasons already listed here.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I'm gonna have to say to think of this like you do your RC if you buy something to do it all it will be ok at best.
If you buy something that is design to do exactly what you want you will be much more happy.
I used to run Orion and Alpine amps in my car and would Never think of using them in my home. The heat generated by running them with DC current is off the charts!! Espically with subs!!
Buy yourself a High end receiver and a set of matched Home speakers with a sub and you will have to seatbelt your self in the chair like the old memorex commercial. Or Look into a JBL powered sub from best buy those things ROCK!!!!
Troystr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Dude pick up a cheap self powered sub for $110 THE COST OF YOUR POWER SUPPPLY and run it if you have all the other stuff!!!!!!

I rattle windows in the next room undistorted, with a 10 or with the 8"
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
That is why JL audio Home subs cost so much.
And still aren't all that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
You are wasting your TIME and MONEY on this project. Do your self a favor and get home audio equipment.
Absolutely agree.

Having been an Audiophile since 1989 (or so) I've gone through many stereo components searching for the ones that when combined make that magic that makes the room disappear and emerses you in a soundfield that fools you into thinking the musicians are in the room with you, I can tell you car components aren't up for the job of good sound. And believe me, I tried to get car components to sound good. They aren't made to sound good in a room. Typically they're made for long excursions to drown out road noise and handle retarded wattage. Not fine details.

And for what it's worth, I currently use a VPI turntable, and homebuilt single ended tube power to the tune of 3 watts per channel, into single driver speakers. It's almost sonic heaven.

2 cents!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Build a proper box for whatever sub you are going to run (manufacturer should have home boxplans) then get a plate amp here. Be sure to match the impedance of the sub voice coils to the ability of the plate amp. Sell the car audio amp and turn a profit while getting something that works better and is cheaper and safer.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote