Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RC Crawling growth!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RC Crawling growth!!!

I have only been it to RCs for a short time. I chose to do the RC Crawling thing. Since I have been going to comps I have seen many parents with their children at these events.
I feel that RCC needs to recognize this fact like McDonald's(focus of advertising) did years ago and include the children in events and the Nationals. It's time to plan ahead for next year to have the top kids from the country competing in the Nationals in their own division. This means that kids need to compete at local events to qualify locally like everyone else. Yes, it means more work, but aren't they worth it.Isn't the sport woth it. Please don't say they compete now. I know some do. But what I'm saying is kids against kids up to a certain age. Or have age groups. RCC now has over 12,000 members and only about 100 get to go to Nationals. That's one out of every 120 people. When you think of it in those terms reaching the Nationals is quite an accomplishment. Some will never get to go. And some could care less about going.
But if you want to see this sport grow you have to start including the Kids in a bigger way. I am sure the big sponsors would agree. The Nationals is the place to start including them. What kid wouldn't want to be THE NATIONAL CHAMPION in a 12 and under age group. In 2.2 or Super class.
These are just my thoughts and my opinion. I am posting just to hear what everyone has to say. Please post your opinions!!!! Thanks
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think that is a good idea.
I know Brittney, Tanis' little one would be there for sure and would love it. I believe she's in the top 5 in WA right now against all the adults.

I think you may have to find a way to entertain them while others are running for the most part. But don't think it'd be a bid deal.
I know my 5 yr old wants to go to comps with me and will be this weekend to see how things go. I've started a build for him but let him practice on a $5 toy since he's not use to controlling it.

I would like to see how this plays out and how it can be done.
Maybe have easier courses for the younger ones and get more difficult with age.?

Again good idea. does other R/C areas do this? you read the magz and it's all older folks in there.?
There is a lot to ponder on this subject.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Some of the racing events are including the kids. I saw some where that kids were lined up all day waiting for a chance to get to drive RC cars and meet drivers. That's what made me start thinking about how easy it would be to do more for the kids in this market. When I look at pics of most of the events I see children in the pictures. I personally would like to see them get to compete on a level playing field (age wise) against one another. I understand there are not a lot of children at each local event, but maybe there could be events scheduled just for the kids. Some where some how? I just wish to bring this out for discussion. And I wish more people cared!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yes i also think it would be nice to have a youth class in r/c crawling.im getting a little to old for the youth class (well maybe) but i think that would be a great adition to this sport.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
But if you want to see this sport grow you have to start including the Kids in a bigger way.
I remember a post from your boy Jason.

"But if you want to see this sport grow you have to start including the Dads in a bigger way."

Heck Warren, some of the kids are kicking butts no matter the age.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A 3 year old placed 12 out of 15 on saturday at our comp. I'm pretty sure he drove without any assistance or freebies, but I wasn't eyeing him the entire run. It was awesome to see him run though!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I scored him straight up!

Give him a few years and we'll all be fighting for second!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

yea thats pretty cool. i bet the people that lost to him were pretty embarassed (sp?)
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Debunking old stereotypes

We've (MNRCRC) has had kids running with us from day 1 of our club. We don't have enough for a kids class. They compete in the standard classes for everyone. We have 1 family with 3 generations of crawlers, and Two father/son's, as well as 2 members in wheelchairs. We also have our first female competitor this season. I guess if some clubs have enough kids for a special kids class, thats fine. I guess I don't see the need for it really. If the kids dad builds him/her a good enough truck, and they learn how to drive it, they should have no problem being competitive in the standard classes.IMO age, size, or gender have no advantage or disadvantage in this hobby/sport. I do agree that this is a great family hobby/sport. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a 10-11 yr old girl kick butt on everybody in sanctioned r/c drag racing. Granted her grandpa builds her some awesome rigs, but she does a great job of piloting those rigs. she's leading the points for the last 2 seasons
She'll probably be humbling me this coming Sunday

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 07-17-2007 at 06:32 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Good Idea!

I haven't been crawling long but I have been involved in RC a long time. There is something more freindly about crawling compared to anything else I've seen and there are always lots kids around. It really wouldn't take much more time to somehow include them.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 07-17-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Double J,
You make my point very well. The child that does extremely well may still finish 5th or even 12th against adults. But still being the top child does not get rewarded. But what if that child went to say the Nationals competed in their own age group, made the podium in their class, had pictures taken and printed/posted for all kids to see. These kids need to be rewarded. How much would that image improve growth of the sport.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Most parents that are not into RC's will not want to fund a $500-$1000 "toy" for their kid to drive. I know I had a hard enough time getting my father to purchase a new $20 stock motor for me once a year so I could race back in the late 80's. Sure the parents(fathers) that are currently involved in RC crawling wouldn't care about blowing $120 for new tires and beadlocks for their "toy". I could not see a non-rc'ing parent spending that much money for tires/wheels when they all serve the same purpose.

I know that once my son can do more than turn the steering wheel on my radio, he'll have his own crawler....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
I lost my vendor privileges

good points guys. i will be glad when Tucker gets older,only 9 months now, to go with me and play. he has already been with me. he is always teething on and trying to ride on my rigs.lol he is cutting teeth on my stinger on the CJ.he loves these things.

we have a few kids well under 16 in the club competing against us adults and are kinda kicking arse.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have only been it to RCs for a short time. I chose to do the RC Crawling thing. Since I have been going to comps I have seen many parents with their children at these events.
I feel that RCC needs to recognize this fact like McDonald's(focus of advertising) did years ago and include the children in events and the Nationals. It's time to plan ahead for next year to have the top kids from the country competing in the Nationals in their own division. This means that kids need to compete at local events to qualify locally like everyone else. Yes, it means more work, but aren't they worth it.Isn't the sport woth it. Please don't say they compete now. I know some do. But what I'm saying is kids against kids up to a certain age. Or have age groups. RCC now has over 12,000 members and only about 100 get to go to Nationals. That's one out of every 120 people. When you think of it in those terms reaching the Nationals is quite an accomplishment. Some will never get to go. And some could care less about going.
But if you want to see this sport grow you have to start including the Kids in a bigger way. I am sure the big sponsors would agree. The Nationals is the place to start including them. What kid wouldn't want to be THE NATIONAL CHAMPION in a 12 and under age group. In 2.2 or Super class.
These are just my thoughts and my opinion. I am posting just to hear what everyone has to say. Please post your opinions!!!! Thanks
we run the kids with the adults at our comps. all of the kids do just fine! in fact, dean(rockpiledriver's son) placed 5th at the axial west coast championships, against adults.

i see what you are saying about having a kid's class, but age really doesn't have anything to do with it. just like other forms of r/c competition, they are separated by classes.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Most parents that are not into RC's will not want to fund a $500-$1000 "toy" for their kid to drive. I know I had a hard enough time getting my father to purchase a new $20 stock motor for me once a year so I could race back in the late 80's. Sure the parents(fathers) that are currently involved in RC crawling wouldn't care about blowing $120 for new tires and beadlocks for their "toy". I could not see a non-rc'ing parent spending that much money for tires/wheels when they all serve the same purpose.

I know that once my son can do more than turn the steering wheel on my radio, he'll have his own crawler....

Have you checked out the prices of the new games they play setting at a computer or in front of a TV. Getting into RC gets them outside and being active and social. Becoming part of a club or just participating in a family event.

Greg, Once again you make my point. Finishing 5th does not qualify Dean for the Nationals. Yet it would be great to see him compete against Brittany from WA. These kids are the type of children I am talking about. They do well but get no rewards.

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 07-17-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I agree but wouldn't you pay $300 for you kid to raise a horse for 4H or go meet the presedent or drive them across the state because they are around other kids and adults that choose to do something better than sit at home playing video games?

I know that my parents weren't into R/C when I was growing up and my mom purchased a $200 car for me so I could get into it. My parents weren't togeather at the time and that was like a $1000 to use then. Sparked something in me and she saw it.

I think most parents wouldn't mind as long as their kids were really into it and not just I want to try. But for those that want to try we can let them drive our rigs at a couple comps and they can see if they like it. Parents will also know if their kids are the type that likes one thing today but not tomorrow and will make just decisions on that.

Just my opinion though.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:

Greg, Once again you make my point. Finishing 5th does not qualify Dean for the Nationals. Yet it would be great to see him compete against Brittany from WA. These kids are the type of children I am talking about. They do well but get no rewards.
but dean did get first in 2.2's in our so-cal series. so he will be at nationals, competing against adults. as far as rewards go, dean is sponsored by RCP Crawlers and Axial, featured in r/c magazines, and he got a huge trophy!

don't get me wrong, i read you loud and clear, and i agree about having growth. any hobby needs young people to keep the hobby going. but again, age doesn't have anything to do with being competitive in r/c.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Being a teenager, I can tell you first hand its very difficult for a kid to get started in crawling.

You need tools(more than hex wrenches and drivers) and some ability to fab stuff. And if you don't have a saw or drill, then you better have money.

Lots of equipment and/or money is something kids don't have. And for that reason it will only pick up when crawlers become cheap or parents step in.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATorque55 View Post
Being a teenager, I can tell you first hand its very difficult for a kid to get started in crawling.

You need tools(more than hex wrenches and drivers) and some ability to fab stuff. And if you don't have a saw or drill, then you better have money.

Lots of equipment and/or money is something kids don't have. And for that reason it will only pick up when crawlers become cheap or parents step in.
all of the kids that crawl at our comps have parents that crawl too. you have a great point. until the rtr's or almost rtr's come out, it will still be out of reach for some people.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I think that the parent involvement really depends on the child/parent relationship. I know that when I was a kid I wanted to start racing BMX and my mom was like WTF is that! I talked her into going to a couple of local races and we watched and had a good time and a friend of mine was there and let me borrow his bike to run a practice heat race and my mom and I were hooked. She then bought me m first bike(@300 in 1983) and then as time and money allowed she bought better parts etc. So I think that most parents would be willing to spend a good chunck of change if it was something that the child truly had a passion for.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote