Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Body Lift or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Body Lift or not?

I am already definately putting a 3"suspension lift on my 1990 Chevy K1500(has the 350 5.7 tbi) but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with body lifts.
I know they are cheaper but what about extending all the stuff like steering, and transfer cast shifter, and all the other junk, and I have also heared rumors that the bolts included often break and you risk your body sliding off the blocks. Maybe someone here could let me know whats up with them because if this stuff is a pain I may just stick to the mild 3" suspension.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

Body Lift Opinions Please...
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I am 100% against body lifts, but for stability reasons I would go no higher than a 2 inch one if your heart`s set on it.
RampageFSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

just use the 3" suspension lift. and hack the fenders for bigger tires.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Even when done right (covers installed to hide gap between bed and frame), I have never been fond of the body lift "look." All it does is allow you to stuff bigger tires under your truck, which is almost worthless unless you are going to re-gear accordingly. It offers no performance advantage and, like Rampage said, it makes your vehicle more unstable. Stick with suspension upgrades.
CWDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just do it right the first time. Go with suspension. Its not cheaper if you buy the body lift realize it sucks then have to take it off again just to put the suspension under it. Trust me I had a friend that didn't listen to me...
MOTORRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up Body lift Rocks!

Body lift gives you needed tire clearance, while taking advantage of your stock suspension Geometry. Body also is much better for COG then Suspension lift, due to the body being so much lighter then the frame, engine, tranny/running gear. Plus as an added bonus it is much easier to work on your rig with the added inches between your body and chassis(the last time I had to swap a 20r in my Yota, I had 2 days by myself, on the lawn! I was loving the extra 3" for those tranny bolts). I jumped my Yota on a daily basis(big enough to knock the CD player out of it's hole!) and never had a problem shearing bolts or anything for that matter related to Body lift. Installation of 3" lift took 1 day by myself, My kit did not come with a steering coupler ext. so the existing stock coupler was still used, just loosened and made it work with no problems ever(however there was hardly any splines left holding it together, and failure was always on my mind), the next kit I purchase I will make sure the steering is addressed better, maybe an extended coupler. Ugly? Why would you say that?, I left the stock rubber body skirt on and it completely covered the 3" gap. Seriously the "bad rumors" associated with Body lift must have been started by "People who sell Suspension lift", it's hard to compete with 3" lift for $99. Suspension lift has it's place, but I can't see anything wrong with a good 3-4" Body lift. Only Good stuff! I started that last thread because I think it's comedy how people have such a strong Opinion about body lift, when they really don't know shit about it(no first hand experience). People just listen to opinion like its fact, and like Lemmings they run with it! Well thats my experience anyway.
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Default As I said before

I do not like body lifts on daily driven street vehicles because of the added stress to the bolts over time. Just like any kind of lift, they have their place and in the hands of the wrong people can be made dangerous.

I run a 3" body lift on my Bronco. They help on Bronc's because the transmission tunnel is very small and it is difficult to run anything but the stock 3spd manual or C4 auto.
I have cut as much fender as I can without losing the look of the Bronco or having to tub the rear end. I have 5" of suspension lift, so I am reaching the limit of the drivetrain. So a body lift helps me run the 39.5's. This is not a daily driver, I will only drive it on the street occasionaly. I also drilled out all of the body bolt holes and upgraded to 1/2" grade 8 bolts for additional strength.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote