Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Van Halen fans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Van Halen fans

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Rock band Van Halen has reunited with the group's original singer David Lee Roth for their first tour together in more than 20 years, they announced on Monday at a news conference.

Van Halen, with David Lee Roth (2nd from right), got together in 1996 for the MTV Video Music Awards.

Roth, 52, spoke virtually nonstop at the press event (), promising that the band's upcoming 25-date North American trek was merely the precursor to a world tour and to a new album.

"This is not like the Police," Roth said, referring to another band that recently papered over personality differences to launch a one-off reunion tour. "The idea is that this will continue on and on and on."

"We think we got it right this time," Roth added. "You come and judge the performance harshly, please. I beg you, come on down and see."

The 25-date trek begins on September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and wraps up on December 11 in the Canadian city of Calgary. Key stops include Chicago (October 16, 18 ), New York City (November 13) and their native Los Angeles (November 20)

But it will not exactly be a reunion of the classic lineup famed for such hits as "Panama" and "Runnin' with the Devil," because bassist Michael Anthony has been replaced by lead guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang.

Roth heaped praise on the band's newest member, claiming Wolfgang picked the songs the band will perform, and "brings a young energy and a spirit to this that'll knock you out of your socks."

Asked about Anthony's absence, Roth said, "This is not a reunion. This is a new band. ... Usually when a band comes back like us it's rockers with walkers and this is everything but. Meet us in the future, not the past."

Roth and Van Halen were supposed to hit the road earlier this year for a reunion tour, but plans fell through when Eddie Van Halen entered rehab in March for undisclosed issues. His illness also scuttled a potential reunion at the group's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction later that month.

Roth, now 52, quit Van Halen in 1985, during the band's heyday, in hopes of attaining solo stardom. After some initial hits, those dreams crashed and Van Halen continued successfully with Sammy Hagar on vocals.

The band's luck ran out a decade later when Hagar and Van Halen acrimoniously parted ways, and a new album with a third singer tanked. Since then, both Roth and Hagar have briefly aligned with Van Halen, and the two singers even toured together, despite Roth's barely concealed enmity for Hagar.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Van Halen, not Van Hagar.........wonder how long this will last.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Too bad there isn't a smiley with a Diamond David Lee Roth styled 80's rock kick, cause this deserves it!
drperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

I'll keep my money thanks.
You can never go back again.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

don't hold your breath. i bet this tour doesn't even get started. mark my words.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I saw them back in the day 5 times already, way before all the band drama started.

I geuss I just gave my age away.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I'll keep my money thanks.
You can never go back again.

'nuff said......

Heavy
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was in Richmond when they broke the cinderblocks in the walls there because they were so loud (1984 tour). I'm afraid I indicated at one point during the Hagar years that I'd give my left nut to see Van Halen tour with Roth again. I'm going, but hopefully it won't cost me any appendages.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrocks90046 View Post
don't hold your breath. i bet this tour doesn't even get started. mark my words.
x2 They do this every few years and it never comes about.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
x2 They do this every few years and it never comes about.
and the fact that mike anthony won't be on bass?? wtf? i'm sure eddie's kid can play, and might be better than the average 16 year old bass player. but going on tour with van halen?? give me a break.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Didnt they pull this same crap last year? No offense but I wouldnt pay to see Eddies mentally handicapped teenage son playing bass. I have nothing against the mentally handicapped, but I dont want to see the kid on stage in Micheal Anthonys place just because of who his daddy is, no matter how well the kid might play.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivBlueNoma View Post
Didnt they pull this same crap last year? No offense but I wouldnt pay to see Eddies mentally handicapped teenage son playing bass. I have nothing against the mentally handicapped, but I dont want to see the kid on stage in Micheal Anthonys place just because of who his daddy is, no matter how well the kid might play.
i agree. no mike=no van halen.

there was a recent interview with eddie, where he said that wolfgang has been playing bass for only 6 months. how can that possibly compare to 30+ years of mike's bass playing in van halen? not to mention his years of playing before van halen!

that being said, i have seen hundreds of kids with a year or two of playing under their belt with tons of chops, crazy speed, but absolutely no feel. it takes several years to develop that.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Michael Anthony is touring with Sammie, and that pissed Eddie off, so Wolfgang gets to play bass. As great as Eddie is, the guy sure has some serious hang ups, seems like he's always pissed at someone, Sammie, Roth, and now Michael.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Micheal Anthony is not exactly a top shelf bass player guys...

There really wont be any problem for anyone who has played bass more than a year to play his parts.

Van Halen's Bass has always been simplistic, yet solid. Nothing overly technical there.

But for the record, this little reunion wont make it past 5 shows, if it even gets started.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Teacher
Runnin
Ice cream

Last edited by Usmc8541; 08-14-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Micheal Anthony is not exactly a top shelf bass player guys...

There really wont be any problem for anyone who has played bass more than a year to play his parts.

Van Halen's Bass has always been simplistic, yet solid. Nothing overly technical there.
you must be kidding. listen to the outro on 'beautiful girls', you know the walking bass part on the end? he doesn't repeat the same line twice. let's see gene simmons play a shuffle like 'show your love'. or how about the harmonics on 'dirty movies'.

sure, anyone could play his parts with a reasonable amount of playing experience, but nobody could get that same feel.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Can't wait for them to come to michigan.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

don't get me wrong VH ROCKS, but give me a break, does anyone acutally think this will last?! How many times have they TRIED to get back together because they ran out of money. What better way to make a quick buck than another tour? Then they realize how much they all hate each other and can't take it!

It won't last. Too bad.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Exactly. Too bad they cant set aside their differences, together they made rocking music. It fell apart when they went Van Hagar.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

All of the old Van Halen or nothing at all.

They won't get it off the ground.

Hot for Teacher.... Best VH song ever!!
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote