Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: USPS shipping conundrum...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Question USPS shipping conundrum...

So the ol' US Postal Service has implemented new shipping "rules" or whatever. I come to find out that if a box is over 1 cubic foot in volume, they automatically nail you for 20 bucks regardless of weight. So to ship a 1 cubic foot box full of nothing but air: 20 bucks.

Does anyone know if they have more than 2 sizes of flat-rate boxes? I looked online and they say only two. I went to the PO to ask them but the line was outta control so I abandoned that idea real quick.

I'm trying to ship out a body and to go Priority, it will cost me almost 30 bucks! I'm desperately trying to avoid sending it Parcel Post, but I may have no choice.

Is UPS or FedEx any better? I haven't looked into those options yet. Any suggestions appreciated...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

ups will play soccer with the box

i like fed ex!

or even that new company dhl!
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu_by_rc View Post

That's what happened to a body I got off ebay. It was smashed! They still haven't settled the claim 2 months later. KB I don't know if you guys in Alaska get nailed like we do in Hawaii, but FedEx, DHL, and UPS are all way more expensive than USPS.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That's my problem. UPS, et al. treat AK and HI like it's China or something. I had a body delivered to me by USPS that looked like an elephant sat on it. Thank God it was lexan. I'm wondering if the $20 surcharge is just for the non-contiguous US, but I don't think so...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
FedEx, DHL, and UPS are all way more expensive than USPS.
There's a reason for that....because those companies will actually deliver your package....not just lose it.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep unfortunately true. UPS slave-drives their drivers so hard that they reach a point (quickly) where they just don't give a shat about the freight they move.

I've always had good results from FedEx...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
06 Super National Champ

I've had dozens and dozens of boxes come to the house via UPS.

Only one item had damage and it was a quick fix with CA.

Guess I've been lucky.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I recently had a problem with UPS which took 3 weeks to solve, but I finally got mt stuff! I had had good luck with them up until that point and I get a lot of stuff sent to the house. I haven't had any bad luck here in Miami with USPS so far (knock on wood!) I think its a crap shoot with all of them b/c most of us probably get lots sent to the house so unless your just cursed then every once in a while isn't tooo bad!
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Whenever I send stuff. I use FedEx ground.
There rates are resonable(sometimes better than USPS). You get tracking (that is accruate), delivery confirmation, and $100 insurance included on every shipment. If you need direct signatures or more insurance they can do that too. Even if you ship to Canada.

www.fedex.com has a rate finder on there site that is fairly accruate.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I refuse to ever use UPS again. When one of their packages crosses the border, they add a "brokerage fee". How do you feel about $87 shipping for 2 servos?:-x I had to pay it before they would release the package to me. This sh!t happens EVERY time i get something sent to me using UPS, which btw, stands for United Parcel Smashers. I have had great luck using the PO.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well i traded some maxx parts for a micro-t he shipped the micro-t using ups...i was suppose to get the package today but on the delivery progress thing it said it was delivered..now thats BullSh!t...i got a package from towerhobbies today and i know for a fack that i didnt get 2 packages....so ill give it till tomarro then im filing a claim...I mean this is bullsh!t you pay extra to get extra but these fawking idiots loose sh!t just like that
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i have used ups and fed ex and dislike both, i have had very good service/shipping "sending and reciving" and no problems with usps

just noticed it was usps with this fee, one time i sent some headlights "off a 1:1 car" to a guy in another state and it was like 20 something shipping i had the biggest box lol i think i would prefer ups over fed ex though

Last edited by ctrwannabe; 08-29-2007 at 08:44 PM.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

u can really bone them...build the box around the body..inside and out.. you usps
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
When one of their packages crosses the border, they add a "brokerage fee".
I got dinged a $35 brokerage fee on a $7 dollar magazine that I had shipped up from the States. The real kicker was the notice for the fee didn't show up until two months AFTER the package arrived.

This was a UPS shipment too, but it was UPS' brokerage company that was charging me. I just ignored it for a long time and told them to screw themselves when they finally called.

Oops!

They put it through to collections and I had bill collectors on my tail! I went and paid it right away then, but it was too late. They'd added another $10 surcharge for being late and it showed up on my credit rating...

Now I have a mailbox in across the border and I go pick stuff up myself.
TunaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #15

I had been expecting a package to arrive sometime this week via DHL. I was at school yesterday and got a call from an unknown phone number, it was the DHL driver. She asked if I was at home, and of course I was not, I asked her if she could leave the box at the apartment office. "Of course MR. Whoodie." Needless to say I am sold on DHL, pretty cool service they got there.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

DHL is ok, expensive though. They bought Airborne Express to become US and nation about 7 years back.

FedEx has never ONCE done anything right. Even at my work we pay for first am service and see it about 3pm. I would never use them and actually will buy from places who do not use it.

UPS and me get along no problem. I ship UPS ground all the time for my eBay shipments, for the price and the free $100 insurance. I've never had a problem with UPS so long as the package is properly packed. A lot of the problem with smashed boxes goes back to the shipper...some people need to learn how to fill/pack a box.

USPS, I hate that they can not track online...thats about it with them though. I haven't had any loss, though I tend to add insurance when buying on eBay, seems adding insurance guarantees they won't lose it at all.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote