Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: "SHIPPING LOOPHOLE" Buyers beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "SHIPPING LOOPHOLE" Buyers beware

I recently placed an order with a reputable company that got lost in shipping. It was shipped USPS. The USPS claims rep tells me that according to their tracking number the package was shipped to the correct address and because there was no insurance purchased that there is no claim that can be made and to contact the shipper. So I contact the company that I ordered the stuff from and ask them what my options are. They tell me that there is nothing they can do because it is not their fault that I did not recieve the shipment. Now on their particular site they say they offer insurance on all shipments, but nowhere in the checkout is this option available. They then go on to tell me that they self insure there shipments. If the package is lost or stollen in delivery that they will replace the items. I told them my stuff was lost do you cover. They say no because the tracking number shows it was delivered to the correct address. I told them that USPS told me if there had been insurance on the package that they would have a claim. They told me "It sounds like you are out of luck". I thought well either there is or isn't insurance on the package. They claim there is but the USPS says there is not. They say it isn't insured with USPS but they self insure and if tracking number says it was delivered then "it sounds like your out of luck".

I have not given up on this matter yet but I am wandering if anyone else has had any other similar experiences and what if anything you were able to do to get your product or money back.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Care to elaborate on the business? Not sure I want to deal with a business that has the "it sounds like you're out of luck" attitude.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I use USPS as little as possible. We routinely have customer checks go missing for a week only to find they were put in the wrong PO Box. For our personal stuff, we always get stuff for a guy in the next neighborhood including packages that contain personal and confidential information from his personal invenstment/IRA account and medical records.

A buddy ordered some college text books and received a damaged box full of other peoples current magazines (not old stuff/garbage).

Another buddy ordered some 1:1 stuff that finally showed up over 3 months after the order was reported as shipped. Same deal. Supplier said tough luck and USPS couldn't find the package.

I sent a book to a friend that was never delivered although the empty envelope was returned to me with a nice note

Quote:
Dear Postal Customer,

It looks like we lost the contents of your package. We'll try to find it an let you know.

Hugs and kisses,

USPS
It isn't just USPS employees to blame. They use independent contractors to move the mail around too.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I avoid USPS like the plague most importantly for their lack of a tracking system. Also their allowance of lazy mail carriers. I once lived on a cul-de-sac and the bottom of a street. The mail carrier left the package in my neighbors mail box 5 houses up the street whos address wasn't even close to mine. They claimed it was delived to the correct address. Luckily when the enighbor arrived home from vacation he brought it down to me. I called and they said, well the mail carrier reports it placed at your address, someone must have moved the package to mess with you.

I know people hate UPS but they provide included insuarance on all shipments of $100 no matter what the shipper does. They have a tracking system that is monitorable and updated often. I've used them in a claim as the shipper and they helped quickly.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Care to elaborate on the business? Not sure I want to deal with a business that has the "it sounds like you're out of luck" attitude.
I would rather leave the name out as they have always treated me well in the past. If thing end up getting rectified I don't want to slander their name.

The thing that is really upsetting is that there is this loophole. No matter what company it is.

And who hasn't recieved mail of a neighbor in you mail box or the mail for the address that is the dislexic opposite of yours.
1218 10th st
1218 10th ave
1210 18th st

It sucks that they look at the tracking number and it says it went to the right address, but was it the normal mail carrier or a temp or were they in a hurry and grabbed a handfull of stiff for one house and got my stuff in there.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I guess you just want other members of RCC to get ripped off.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I guess you just want other members of RCC to get ripped off.
Do you ever have anything positive or useful to say? He is not saying he wants others to get ripped off. He is simply letting people know about the problem he had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqcookie View Post
I would rather leave the name out as they have always treated me well in the past. If thing end up getting rectified I don't want to slander their name.
To me it sounds like he is giving them a chance to still make it right. If they don't I am sure he will let others know who it was.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

For future reference, always get delivery confirmation and require a signature. This will help that if you are shipping something. If you are receiving it then it does not apply like for this guy.

But if they say it was delivered to the correct address but you did not get it then i would tell them it was stolen. It says they will cover stolen items, RIGHT!

Do you have the tracking number to look it up on the internet and see what it says. Have you talked to YOUR mail carrier and ask them about the package. They should remember if they delivered it to you or not depending on how long ago this happened.

I would kind of like to know the name of the business, just to be able to go to there site and read about there policies. Plus we may be able to help you farther. These things happen to good and bad companies. By revealing there name this is not going to hurt them that much. Plus we have probably all order from them before also with no problems.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Have you checked at the Post Office? I sent a package with USPS a few weeks ago. The delivery conformation said it was delivered to the address but the guy didn't have the package. He called the office and they had it there. Might help to make a trip down there too. Sometimes they have it at the post office. Just a thought.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have had this happen a couple times with items sent to my customers and it ended up being something as simple as one had the package fall behind where they set their mail, and another one had a sub mail carrier leave it with the neighbor and my customer had to go ask around to find it. Both instances I insured, but was at a loss my self is it showed delivered. My customers both found the packages before we got to deep into it. I myself was going to re ship the items and put in a claim with USPS and would have made them show proof of who signed at that address. If they did not deliver to a resident of the address I was going to have it out with them, but never got to that point.
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Yea, USPS is a joke I ordered something and it was shipped from Las Vegas to Texas then to me in Michigan. It took 2 weeks to get it.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've had a package that showed up 3 days after the USPS showed it as delivered.
Not too impressed with their tracking.
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badltl510 View Post
Do you ever have anything positive or useful to say? He is not saying he wants others to get ripped off. He is simply letting people know about the problem he had.

To me it sounds like he is giving them a chance to still make it right. If they don't I am sure he will let others know who it was.
No I'm saying I don't want to go order something only to see that it never arrives.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

If you really want to push it later on you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Here's my shipping story.

I got a painted lexan body off ebay for $30. The seller ships it UPS, which is really expensive to Hawaii, and it arrives a month and 3 days later damaged. The box was crushed badly enough the the body had creases in it. I filed a claim with UPS online and didn't receive an update in a month so I emailed them. Their response was that they couldn't tell me anything since it involved a 3rd party and didn't explain further.

I emailed them a few times more over a few weeks and was finally told that the seller shipped it through Staples so UPS had no responsibility to me and to I had to now take the matter up with Staples and they would settle with Staples ontheir own. This is after over 2 and a half months after the seller shipped.

That pissed me off, so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a week later the local UPS office contacts me (really nice folks) and settles the claim. I asked if the BBB complaint had anything to do with it and the lady told me it had EVERYTHING to do with it! Seems it really got folks in the main office off their asses.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
X2.............................
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Sorry, I guess the businesses responce is what hit me out of the whole thing. Maybe I'm spoiled with RCC vendors service, such as RPP showed just a few posts above. I'm used to the business going above and beyond, or at least trying, as opposed to basically saying "screw you, it's your problem not mine."

I do understand your purpose for posting was to put the light on USPS though and agree that they royally suck most of the time. Luckily in my rural area I know the mail carrier personally and my neighbors are relatives who I would trust with my mail.

Last edited by Jamus; 02-14-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I would say that USPS is a great shipping service. everything I ship USPS arrives on time or before time and has never been lost.

Fedex: lost a 300 video card and refused to honor the insurance
UPS: lost some parts I was trading, after 4+ hours on the phone several E-mails I gave up.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

"Better Business Bureau "

If you have exhausted all efforts of resolving a problem, these guys can make anything happen and those A-holes that say "sounds like your out of luck" ya well they start singing a very different tune after the BBB hands them thier ASS
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
If you really want to push it later on you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Here's my shipping story.

I got a painted lexan body off ebay for $30. The seller ships it UPS, which is really expensive to Hawaii, and it arrives a month and 3 days later damaged. The box was crushed badly enough the the body had creases in it. I filed a claim with UPS online and didn't receive an update in a month so I emailed them. Their response was that they couldn't tell me anything since it involved a 3rd party and didn't explain further.

I emailed them a few times more over a few weeks and was finally told that the seller shipped it through Staples so UPS had no responsibility to me and to I had to now take the matter up with Staples and they would settle with Staples ontheir own. This is after over 2 and a half months after the seller shipped.

That pissed me off, so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a week later the local UPS office contacts me (really nice folks) and settles the claim. I asked if the BBB complaint had anything to do with it and the lady told me it had EVERYTHING to do with it! Seems it really got folks in the main office off their asses.
That's a good point (highlighted in red). And it even applies if you ship out of a UPS Store. When I make business shipments I can't drop them at the UPS Store if they are over $1,000 in value. Over $1,000 has to be given to a driver. The UPS Store does not assume any liability for your package if it is damaged while in the store or in transit. You do not consign the package to the carrier until the driver touches it.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #20