Notices

Thread: New OHV Park in El Paso County...Colorado Springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New OHV Park in El Paso County...Colorado Springs

Posted in the Colorado Springs Business Journal Today:

County OK’s 900-arce off-road park

Off-road motorcycle and four-wheel drive enthusiasts might soon get a 900-acre recreation park in El Paso County for practicing their sport.

The Board of County Commissioners has approved a resolution authorizing the Parks and Leisure Services Department to purchase or lease land located near County Highway 94 and Blaney Road in eastern El Paso County for an off-road vehicle park if the county receives a grant from the Colorado State Trails program.

The county would partner with Aztec Family Raceway, which operates motocross tracks adjacent to the proposed park site, to build the facility.

The county will provide the land and trails for the park and Aztec will provide the parking, restrooms, concessions, camping services, management staff and maintenance services.

The first phase of construction of the park will include at least 20 miles of trails on the 900 acres. The trail system will be designed to minimize environmental impacts. The park will be financially self-sustaining and supported solely by user fees with no taxpayer funding.

Initial plans will include up to 20 miles of SINGLETRACK Trail. Score one for the OHV community

Another Article from the Colorado Springs Gazette
http://www.gazette.com/articles/coun...tml#slComments

Last edited by DeaDShorT; 12-04-2007 at 09:02 PM.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

This is great until they use it as an excuss to close public trails and roads.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
I'm not accusing you of anything newracer, but it pisses me off when rednecks litter around trails and then b**ch about them getting closed down. Whatever happened to tread lightly!?
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It is best when they are next to motocross tracks or raceways, we got an ATV park about 2 or 3 years ago. Its Next to Maryland International Raceway and BuddsCreek if anyone knows where that is in Southern Maryland. There fun and all, but if it is on a creek than the park is awesome. I hope that one turns out nice.

Second on tread lightly, to many people get off-road parks closed becuase they dont have any respect.
RedNeck Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

neat! i hope to finish my 1:1 soon, would be nice to get out in a new area an dplya
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Sweet i better get working on my jeep.
Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
This was proposed by a riding advocate on C.S city council. Jim Bensburg! One of the reasons this OHV area was put together, was because of the closing of PMI in Pueblo. If you don't know of it, it was a popular destination during the winter mainly and the rest of the season for OHV use.
The only excuse to close public land, trails, and roads are due to over use and not staying the trail. Many clubs in Colorado area have been fighting the fight to keep these open for all to use in the future. COHVCO, Blue Ribbon to name a few. If you don't belong you should, if you wish to continue to use existing trails and roads and the development of new ones. JM2C
Slickrock450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I think some of you took my post wrong. I truly think a OHV park is a great thing to have. We need more areas to use not less. I am a member of COHVCO, United, the state, and a local club. I always preach tread lightly and stay the trail and do my part to maintain and clean up trails. I just hope that this is not used as a starting point to close other areas. I can just see some one down the road saying, "We can close that road/trail/area since they can all go to the OHV park!!"

It also pisses me off to see people abusing the trails and I often confront people about it. The main reason I wheel is to get out and see the beautiful state we live in and I'd like it to stay that way for many years to come.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote