Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Link-N-Rocks by RCP Tracks (Artificial Rocks for the Rock Crawling Industry)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Link-N-Rocks by RCP Tracks (Artificial Rocks for the Rock Crawling Industry)

As some of you already know, I own the company RCP Tracks. My company manufactures pro modular racetracks for some of the larger RC companies in the world, including and not limited to Kyosho, Radioshack, Horizon Hobby, Great Planes(Hobbico), PN Racing, Technical Racing and Mini-zracer. Our tracks are distributed in over 35 countries around the world.

In addition to the on road tracks, I have also been involved in building RC crawling and off road tracks. In 2003, 2004 and 2005 I built off road tracks consisting of rocks and off road terrain for the Kyosho Corporation at their exhibit displays for RCX. In January of 2006 I built the first rock crawling specific track for Goodyear that was used in their vendor/fan area of the Daytona 500 Nascar event. The rock course helped Goodyear earn the second largest crowd draw of the 5 day event. In April of 2006 I built the first RC rock crawling display for the RCX trade show in Southern California. After using this course in Chicago for the Ihobbyexp and in New York for the NY Toy Fair, I gave the display a new look while increasing the size of the overall layout. The new track went on to be used at RCX 2007, NASCAR at the California Speedway and the Off-road Expo.

Since building the first off-road track in 2003 and the first rock crawling display at RCX 2006, I have been flooded with inquiries about duplicating the displays for private and cooperate use. At that time, I didn’t have an economical way of mass producing the rocks and terrain that would be financially worth the investment. I am happy to say we are now proceeding with the project and will be mass producing artificial rocks specifically designed for the RC rock crawling industry. The rocks will be manufactured so they can be linked together to form hundreds of different lines with a relatively small layout. Each rock configuration will be numbered and can be purchased separately. All the rocks formations will have a universal linking joint that will allow for easy attachment by additional pieces.

My goal is to offer the rocks to Hobby Stores, trade shows and the rental industry, so that they can promote the RC rock crawling hobby and the RC rock crawling products the manufacturers produce. Since the rocks will have a unique ID number, hobby stores and/or clubs could realistically purchase the same rock pieces, create the same course and compare scores virtually on the same terrain. As I said previously, with a relatively small layout there are virtually 100’s of different lines possible. By purchasing a larger amount of rocks, there are well over 500 different lines possible. You could quite possibly change a typical course layout each day and never run the same layout throughout the year.

The individual rocks and rock joining system is called RCP Link-N-Rocks..

Below are a few samples of my projects from the past.

[IMG][/IMG]

Link-N-Rock sample material below.

Last edited by John; 07-03-2008 at 12:58 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice, I've been waiting to see this happen. Glad to see you bring your forte to another aspect of the hobby.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

super sweet idea

where can i buy some of these rocks?

i live in an apartment and it would be cool to set up a rock crawling course and then be able to take it down with im done
alloymetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Web Wheeling

Very cool, any ideas yet on the section sizes? And any price goals for each section, or full set yet? Would be nice to pick up a few sections to setup for testing different truck setups at home.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

so your targeting Hobby shops, trade shows, and rental industry, I take it that means that they won't be "affordable" to the average Joe ??? if you could make them for a "marketable" price, average people would buy them....
dhoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Very cool, any ideas yet on the section sizes? And any price goals for each section, or full set yet? Would be nice to pick up a few sections to setup for testing different truck setups at home.
Believe me, I am working to keep the price of each piece as low as possible. Although the coorporate world could afford an expensive product, I don't think this project will be successful if the pieces were out of the price range of most clubs and hobby stores. Hobby stores are going to be my main focus, with clubs and coorporate events, second and third.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
so your targeting Hobby shops, trade shows, and rental industry, I take it that means that they won't be "affordable" to the average Joe ??? if you could make them for a "marketable" price, average people would buy them....

If the full size rocks are successful we have plans to offer a mini-version. The mini-version would be more suited for home use and in areas of limited space such as the office. They will also work out well when the RC micro crawler is released.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloymetals View Post
super sweet idea

where can i buy some of these rocks?

i live in an apartment and it would be cool to set up a rock crawling course and then be able to take it down with im done
RCX is in April. I plan to have a full catalog available, showing each rock formation in time for the show. Each rock piece will have multiple rocks on them. The rocks will be made with ledges, canyons, crevices, verticle/side wall climbs and similar features that can be seen and that are used at typical outdoor rock crawling courses.

One cool feature of the rocks is it's unique ID system for each rock fromation. In the micro RC world, there are online racing leagues that use our RCP Tracks to run racing events that are based on fastest times. Our RCP tracks are modular and clubs design different track layouts that are duplicated by others across the US. The surface is virtually the same and you can create hundreds of different layouts from the track pieces. This online league is based on honesty, after all you are competing online with people hundreds of miles away. One example website that offers the onroad events is www.howfastareyou.com. Clubs use our online track building program at www.rcptrackbuilder.com to create different tracks for the events. Prizes are given out after the series.

You could possibly have the same type of events with the RCP Link-N-Rocks. If clubs purchase similar rock pieces, you could duplicate the same courses. With just 4 ~ 5 rock pieces you can create many, many different lines. It's all into the unique way I designed each piece that allows the multiple configurations and lines. You could compare your scores on the same terrain and course with some of the top drivers in the country, without leaving your home town. Gives you an idea where you stand with others, before competing in an outdoor national or semi national event.

Last edited by John; 12-26-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
R.I.P. Chip

Ballpark? $5.00, $50.00, $500.00, $5000.00, $50,000?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Hell's Gnome

Yea, what he said ^. I love the idea, but price is the biggest rock to climb now.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
20K Club

Sounds awesome John. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I would personally love to have a small setup for the home.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
R.I.P. Chip

I imagine figuring out shipping will be a big deal as well, shipping a 2.5'X2.5' rock is gonna be pricey.

I am for sure interested when you get more info. Either pm, email, or call me when you know more.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I imagine figuring out shipping will be a big deal as well, shipping a 2.5'X2.5' rock is gonna be pricey.

I am for sure interested when you get more info. Either pm, email, or call me when you know more.

Might not be as bad as you think. We ship alot of tracks around the world and have an outstanding shipping account with two of the leading carriers. We can pass on the savings to our customers when the time comes.

One side bit of inside info. RCP Tracks will be merging with a very large company in the industry within the next month. They can handle the shipments and production demand if needed. The merge is one of the reasons I had to leave RCP Crawlers. I couldn't spend the time needed with the company as my track business was rapidly expanding.

Last edited by John; 01-02-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
RCC Addict

awesome john....
we have been building an indoor course and its a pain to go lug around huge rocks and keep the store looking good.

i am definitly interested.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #15
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Very nice...

Now.........you need to talk more about the "mini crawler" you mentioned with an eye winkin' smiley....that means you know something...come on, spill it
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I may rethink my living room strategy and go with rocks rather than a couch.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

How "rocklike" is the surface, and are all the rocks uniform, or do you have a mixture of grippy rocks and slippy rocks?

If it's not giving away too much, how heavy are they? Easy to move/set up?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

This is awesome news. Great work John Please keep me posted. Could these withstand the elements if left up and outside?
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
This is awesome news. Great work John Please keep me posted. Could these withstand the elements if left up and outside?
Yes, all the rock displays you see in the pictures from my first post can be left outside. The rubber coating is made to withstand the elements. The surface can also withstand the abuse by the 2.2 and Super Class rigs. Some of the micro offroad tracks I've made have sat outside for over a year. They held up quite well. The dirt and rain made them look more realistic than when new.

Last edited by John; 01-02-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Very nice...

Now.........you need to talk more about the "mini crawler" you mentioned with an eye winkin' smiley....that means you know something...come on, spill it
Can't spill any details right now, but I can tell you there already is at least one micro crawler in the works.