Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Just got out of surgery...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Just got out of surgery...

Just got in from surgery on my left eye. I was making a couple quick cuts on some wheels with the dremel tool last night when the cutoff wheel let go in a couple of pieces, one of which lacerated my cornea. Went from 20/20 vision to 20/100 in less than 2 seconds. Now I'm just waiting for the healing process to begin and see what will happen in the next 4-6 weeks.

If I could just go back 30 seconds and put a pair of safety glasses on.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Very sad to hear... Good Luck.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Thanks for sharing so others can learn.

I used to have a wood shop teacher that would sneak up behind his students when they were not using safety glasses. He would cover their eyes and ask them if they would like to live the rest of their life this way. Wile the machine was running. lol crazy old man. But he got his point through.

Go and pick up a nce pair of AOS or UVEX glasses. I have a set that cost about $10. They are so light and comfortable that I literally forget I am wearing them.

Last edited by _BEN_; 12-27-2007 at 01:43 PM.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Just got in from surgery on my left eye. I was making a couple quick cuts on some wheels with the dremel tool last night when the cutoff wheel let go in a couple of pieces, one of which lacerated my cornea. Went from 20/20 vision to 20/100 in less than 2 seconds. Now I'm just waiting for the healing process to begin and see what will happen in the next 4-6 weeks.

If I could just go back 30 seconds and put a pair of safety glasses on.
WOW....I hope all goes well. That really sucks. :-( I wear glasses already and they are safety rated because of work, but this really reminds me that extra protection is never a bad thing. It only takes once.

Hope you get better soon!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Man I'm sorry to hear that, thanks for the pointing out the safety issue I will think about you next time I turn on my dremmel. Get 100% well
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Damn that really bites! If there is a way I can help you out let me know
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear about that Stan. I actually had a similar thing happen with a dremel, only the piece of plastic I was cutting caught me in the nose instead of the eye. I immediately stopped and put on my goggles, I was lucky.

I wish you the best for a quick recovery.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I got a dremel for xmas and I just got some safety glasses today. I'm sorry about your accident. That really sucks.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow, sorry to hear that, i hope you get well real soon, i was just using my dremmel tool with a cutting disc not even 5 minutes ago, but i was wearing my safety glasses, to many close calls just winging it, i've had discs fall apart and hit me in my nose, forehead, cheeks, etc. so i decided to start using my glasses for any work i do with the dremmel, sander, etc.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Get well soon......
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

Bummer Stan!

I've learned the hard way twice. First time the little sliver of aluminum came out as it was jammed into the corner near the tear duct. Second time I have yet to find it, but something is in there. It became infected I guess, and I have a lump in my eyelid. It grew a nasty puss filled sack on the inside of my eyelid which for the longest time oozed so much over night my eye would seal itself shut with dried puss. Eventually the sack came off, but something is still in my lid. It still oozes a little, but the main problem is my eye gets blurry sometimes, and no matter what it doesn't clear up. It comes and goes. Whatever it is bugs me pretty bad, but not bad enough to go see a doctor. I think it sometimes hits a nerve cause it can be somewhat uncomfortable.

I've had a growth thing in my eyelid before. The doctor numbs your lid, flips it inside out with a clamp, cuts and scrapes it clean, then burns it back closed. I just don't want to go through that again.

Get better Stan!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Thanks for the well wishes guys, you know when it rains it pours.

Anything involving the eyes is pretty scary. Just remember to watch yourselves...maybe someone else will avoid a similar, or worse, situation.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
MODERHATER™

Wow Stan!! Yes safety glasses are in order!! LMK if you need anything!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Bummer Stan!

I've learned the hard way twice. First time the little sliver of aluminum came out as it was jammed into the corner near the tear duct. Second time I have yet to find it, but something is in there. It became infected I guess, and I have a lump in my eyelid. It grew a nasty puss filled sack on the inside of my eyelid which for the longest time oozed so much over night my eye would seal itself shut with dried puss. Eventually the sack came off, but something is still in my lid. It still oozes a little, but the main problem is my eye gets blurry sometimes, and no matter what it doesn't clear up. It comes and goes. Whatever it is bugs me pretty bad, but not bad enough to go see a doctor. I think it sometimes hits a nerve cause it can be somewhat uncomfortable.

I've had a growth thing in my eyelid before. The doctor numbs your lid, flips it inside out with a clamp, cuts and scrapes it clean, then burns it back closed. I just don't want to go through that again.

Get better Stan!
Dude....that's just nasty.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
06 Super National Champ

Get better, Stan.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BEN_ View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Thanks for sharing so others can learn.........Go and pick up a nce pair of AOS or UVEX glasses. I have a set that cost about $10. They are so light and comfortable that I literally forget I am wearing them.
X2, get well and wear yer safety glasses.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Doc says things are clearing up nicely, swelling going down and no signs of infection....improved to 20/50 in the left eye. Next week some of the stitches will be coming out and depending on how things progress, he could get me a set of glasses, or maybe after another week. Still have a couple of concerns, but he was amazed that things are looking this good already. Guess he has gotten used to his older clientel

Thanks for the well wishes again

Stan.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Doc says things are clearing up nicely, swelling going down and no signs of infection....improved to 20/50 in the left eye. Next week some of the stitches will be coming out and depending on how things progress, he could get me a set of glasses, or maybe after another week. Still have a couple of concerns, but he was amazed that things are looking this good already. Guess he has gotten used to his older clientel

Thanks for the well wishes again

Stan.
Dang dude....
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

thats why i never use a dremel with a cutoff wheel, those break so easy it just isnt funny
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote