Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: my dna dig skips im a tard hep me hep me!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default my dna dig skips im a tard hep me hep me!

ok so im running this on my ax10 jr 126mg servo axle out of a traxxas nitro buggy for the drive shaft 7.4 2c lipo hb tires the 5.4 crawlers gh aluminum housings and the plastic tranny case.......servo is pushing just past stop point and still skips i lubed it with white lithium so the grease would be thin and it wouldnt hydraulic it locks fine but skips in 4wd on a spektrum radio so ive fine tuned a few times to get the same results made no difference between diff strength lipos or nimh im confused lol and want to compete saturday at hobbytown.... i got a dna because of the reputation....any ideas?
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I had the same problems with my dna dig. Main reason is that I have a very heavy rig, mostly happens on hill climbs. I have a 200+ oz servo now. I have it torqued pretty hard, either I will break the fork or it will work!!! I have had it torqued down pretty hard for the last few months and the fork hasn't broke yet.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

hmm that blows just bought that servo but also my rig is pretty light usually get a woah reaction on its weight but yes it happens on climbs for me too the 126 is 126oz maybe a diff lube? was thinking about a wax based teflon dry lube
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
I had the same problems with my dna dig. Main reason is that I have a very heavy rig, mostly happens on hill climbs. I have a 200+ oz servo now. I have it torqued pretty hard, either I will break the fork or it will work!!! I have had it torqued down pretty hard for the last few months and the fork hasn't broke yet.
Well it depends on where you mount it, my crawler ways much more than flapjacks (hey flapjack its adam) and im running a futaba S3151 and which is a very small 54 oz/in servo, how do you have yours mounted. If the servo is mounted on the tranny than it will take much more force to move the shift fork pin in and out of 4wd. Oh and flapjack i would recomend posting this in the ax10 crawler section, you might get more help.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

got it to engage a bit better by lengthening the horn then my dx3s roller fell inside the hand unit shell so im screwed emailed spektrum i just hope they dont screw me after spending close to 300 on a transmitter and have it last a month...grrrrrr
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Spektrum is pretty good about things as long as it wasnt your fault, but i wouldnt expect to have the controller back by this weekend, took them 2 weeks to reseat an antenna for me .
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

im bummed about it but i know things can take a min to deal with i checked the roller for any signs of impact or anything and no signs of damage im still confused myself of what happened i dont baby the controller but i respect my equipment we will see what they say when i get an email back take it to a dealer etc
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I had kind of the same issue w/ my DNA dig on Saturday. I had it all dialed in all the 3 positions. Played with it in my garage and it seemed to work great. Went to take it to the rocks on Saturday afternoon before my comp on Sunday and within a couple minutes of playing with it I was noticing lack of power in 4wd. It kept skipping in 4wd. I took it apart and found that the aluminum DNA gear that attaches to the output shaft on the transmission was torn up. It now did not mesh/lock with the gear in the dig. The gear inside the dig is a harder metal which tore up the aluminum piece and pretty much ate out the inside the gear causing the slop and which made is skip under load.

My father in law had a dig that he never installed which I took apart and rebuilt my DNA dig. Now I have DNA dig with no gears. I have not had a chance to contact DNA yet since this just happened this weekend.

Good luck with the issue. Maybe rip it apart and check the gear??
GixxerCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

so yeah took it apart....not so pretty... not destoyed but not pretty...trying to contact them for a solution......
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I had this problem with mine as well, the way I fixed it was to
1. relocate the dig servo to behind the trans (to make the linkage straighter)

2. went to a full size servo (Futaba S3003, 50oz-in or so)

3. a VERY short servo horn. this multiplies the force the servo can put on the linkage. (torque/length = force; 50oz/in/.25in = 200 oz)

I'll try to get a pic up later.

The dig rebuild kit costs $35 from DNA but after you get the linkage and servo in there corectly it's worth it to get one.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Holdin my 40oz.

If your gears are chewed up it more than likely means you epa's were set wrong, as in not fully engaged. Use a light thin grease so as not to put any undo strain on the servo, and be sure not to get any grease on the rubber grommets on the back side of the casing that the fork and output shaft run through, they are self lubricating and get sticky if greased. Clean everything up inside and rebuild and see what happens. Also, be sure to threadlock the set screw on the cog gear that attaches to the trans output shaft. If this setscrew comes loose, which it can, it will make the dig skip like you were getting and cause premature wear. Just know that once you get it set right it will be relaible.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

i had my epas set to exactly what i was told by dna and it skipped anyways got ahold of dna hoping to fix the issue ill be remounting most likely but ive seen many people run the servo just like i did
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

if you can go dig free on Sat., i got a stock AX10 2ch controller for ya
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

unfortuanetly for me i already cut my drive shaft and such but thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey van i will let you use one of my drive shafts, if you want to, and whats up with the controller does it not work at all?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

it goes to illinois tomorrow via ups they are going to fix it and send it bad supposedley 6-7 day turn around but we will see + shipping time ground their and back at their mercy but im not paying for it so i cant complain even thiugh its a defective gun a certain large jolly man was telling me about a couple that had the issue out of the box recently and since mine is a mont old they are going to hook it up....still waiting on word and/or parts from dna....may just have to bite the bullet and have one machined out of steel or ti with small grooves to stop any possible hydraulicing and lubed with antiseize
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

if i go digless i may be able to compete if i rig my traxxas controller or something the new setup is sick and yes i limited the articulation and some other stuff
Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

unless someone has a traxxas 3 or 4 channel rx they can sell me...just need to get a travel limiting module
Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well would a spektrum dx2.0 work for ya for one day?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

most likely i have the sr300 rx in the truck right now....barring that the dig works lol still havent heard from dna about parts they said we will be able to help you out....no word if they actually are but i may be able to get it to work if i just crank on it and cross my fingers although i doubt thats gonna solve the issue ....i thank everyone that is trying to help me out ill go digless if i have to or cant get the dig to work the remote is in the ups system so i may just sit this one out so i dont risk blowing my dig up worse i dont know yet its going to take some trial and error and testing to make sure the truck is up to snuff or it wont be worth it to show...dont mind putting in for the cause but at the same time money is short and a broken truck is nothing to bring to a comp if you dont have to although i really want to compete