Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Shops in Denver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Default Shops in Denver

New to the sport, looking for any good honest shops in Denver to get a crawler from, preferabily the west side. Thanks
99rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hobbytown USA Westminster (Tons of crawler stuff)

or Finishline (if open yet)
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Gettin’ back on the horse

Colpar hobbies west seems to do alright (wads and hampden).
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Colpar hobbies west seems to do alright (wads and hampden).
No offense to Colpar....but I wouldn't buy a crawler from them. I think they are overpriced on their crawlers... I bought my Axial ARTR from Colpar and paid $270 and the next day saw it at HTW for $220ish...I was not happy and they wouldn't price match. Colpar is a great hobby shop and has been around for a long time I just don't think crawlers are their focus. I do buy from Colpar still and many of their prices are very competitive but I've just noticed not on Crawlers. I love to support the LHS but just letting you know my opinion.

I've found that with the hobby shops in town you can save good money if you take the time to price shop. You can find noticeble price differences that will make it actually worth driving to the right store. Example the HiTec 7955 servo sells for 139.99 at one and 119.99 at another. I've seen the popular rover tires sell for 25 bucks a pair at some and 12 at another....the list goes on.

My 3 Favs are Hobbytown Westminster, RC Hobbies Aurora, and Finishline RC and all 3 have good selection and knowledge of Crawlers. I do recommend calling any of the stores first before you go there and make sure they have what you need if it's something specific.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
No offense to Colpar....but I wouldn't buy a crawler from them. I think they are overpriced on their crawlers... I bought my Axial ARTR from Colpar and paid $270 and the next day saw it at HTW for $220ish...I was not happy and they wouldn't price match. Colpar is a great hobby shop and has been around for a long time I just don't think crawlers are their focus. I do buy from Colpar still and many of their prices are very competitive but I've just noticed not on Crawlers. I love to support the LHS but just letting you know my opinion.

I've found that with the hobby shops in town you can save good money if you take the time to price shop. You can find noticeble price differences that will make it actually worth driving to the right store. Example the HiTec 7955 servo sells for 139.99 at one and 119.99 at another. I've seen the popular rover tires sell for 25 bucks a pair at some and 12 at another....the list goes on.

My 3 Favs are Hobbytown Westminster, RC Hobbies Aurora, and Finishline RC and all 3 have good selection and knowledge of Crawlers. I do recommend calling any of the stores first before you go there and make sure they have what you need if it's something specific.
colpar is definitely a more models and rc planes helicopters and traxxas vehicles kind of place, if you are looking for batteries esc's, etc then you are fine but crawers are not their thing.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

i definetley agree with james and adam............hobbytown westy..although a corporate store...is great for crawler stuff....dan at finishline is the man and can get you what ever you can think of when it comes to crawling....although until the new location is completely running(its really close)hobbytown will probably have a better chance of having it in stock
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

checked out Hobbytown today, alot of cool stuff none of the crawler guys were there though. Tried finding Finishline to compare prices and couldn't find it. Isn't it by the Costco at I70 and Wadsworth?
99rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

I am a Colpar guy, been going there before any of the other shops opened. May just be me, but they know what hey are talking about. If not the rest can be found here.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I am a Colpar guy, been going there before any of the other shops opened. May just be me, but they know what hey are talking about. If not the rest can be found here.
Amen. They might not have the most crawling stuff in stock but the people there are some of the most knowledgeable rc people I've ever met. Also they will order anything you want.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
Amen. They might not have the most crawling stuff in stock but the people there are some of the most knowledgeable rc people I've ever met. Also they will order anything you want.
Yep I have been going to that shop for 16 years, they know more about R/C then any of us could ever hope to know, they may need some help with figuring out what you need when it comes to crawlers, but you should know that if you are on RCC.
Plus they are more then willing to hear out the issue and help you trouble shoot.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #11

Dan(FLRC) has more parts in stock than colpar west ever will. Colpar is over priced and will not price match.
AARON900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've been to Finish Line RC, Colpar west, and Hobby Town west, and you Denver dudes are in crawler heaven compared to what we have down here the Springs(Mayberry)! If we could just have one of these three shops down here it would be great. Oh well, we keep UPS/USPS in business with internet orders.
crwlnCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #13

Hi Guys,

Glad this thread was started, I am going to Denver from Toronto for a few days and want to visit some shops. Is Hobbytown the closest to Downtown Denver? Also how far ( havn't checked at this point ) is any sort of Crawler spots or worth while sites to check out. Coming down for some business but during the free time I'd like to check out the sites.

thanks!
Nonsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Hobbytown, FinishLine, and RC Hobbies(Aurora) all have their own rocks for crawling. Hobbytowns is outdoor, FinishLine and RCH are indoor with Finishlines being the larger of the 2 indoor. All 3 are fun. From Denver I'd have to say Hobbytown and Finishline are the closest for you.
If you look at the top of the colorado thread you'll see many of the popular crawl spots listed. If you have enough time and willing to drive about an hour, especially on a day off, I would say go down to Palmer Park in Colorado Springs. Also there is a comp literally every weekend here somewhere So come show us your skills. We all a great bunch and we have a good time for sure.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99rockies View Post
checked out Hobbytown today, alot of cool stuff none of the crawler guys were there though. Tried finding Finishline to compare prices and couldn't find it. Isn't it by the Costco at I70 and Wadsworth?
its off the 1-70 frontage rd between kipling and ward........about 3/4 the way west.......if your going west its on the right in the last industrial complex before the turn going uphill........same complex as the golf place (they have a big sign...dan doesnt have one out yet something about having to work it out with the landlord about where he can put it)
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
Hobbytown, FinishLine, and RC Hobbies(Aurora) all have their own rocks for crawling. Hobbytowns is outdoor, FinishLine and RCH are indoor with Finishlines being the larger of the 2 indoor. All 3 are fun. From Denver I'd have to say Hobbytown and Finishline are the closest for you.
If you look at the top of the colorado thread you'll see many of the popular crawl spots listed. If you have enough time and willing to drive about an hour, especially on a day off, I would say go down to Palmer Park in Colorado Springs. Also there is a comp literally every weekend here somewhere So come show us your skills. We all a great bunch and we have a good time for sure.

Thanks alot for the help, printing out some places I want to go during some break time at the conference i'm going to.
Nonsonic is offline   Reply With Quote