Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Search feature is crap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Search feature is crap

I've been a member of this site for a while now. All I hear from vets is "use the search button", "you need to search for it before you ask about it." I personally think the search feature sucks. I have gone I don't know how many time to "search" for something and all I get are links to threads that pertain NOTHING to what I'm searching for.

I'm pretty sure this is going to get me in trouble with the RCC Gods, but I beleive this needs some attention. PLEASE, help people out with their searches. If someone is searching for a specific part or thread, take them where they want to go. Don't make them read through 3/4 of the site before the find what they're looking for.

I know this is a lot more than just $0.02, but it really should be discussed.
Hotrodblder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

99% of the time people have a problem with the search feature it's because they aren't using it correctly, what are you trying to search for?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree, the search button blows. I search for tits and there's nothing but pictures of toy trucks.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I keep hearing about how the search feature sucks................and have yet to hear one single person mention how to make it better. Many have been directly asked, "how should it be made better," and low and behold, nothing.

If you look into all of the features found under the Advanced Search tab, really, what other option would you like to make the search better?? You can break it down into whether your query is in the title or mentioned in the thread, you can post your results by titles or complete threads, you can pick the particular forum to search, you pick exact f-ing dates for Christ's sake!

The search is based on VB software, so it isn't completely customizable by "the Gods," but honestly, which features could make it better?

First pointer, just hitting Search is worthless. ALWAYS hit Search, and then Advanced Search.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I guess I just must be useing it wrong then.

I always use the adavnced search part. I type in what I'm looking for such as "giveaways" and I get links to all sorts of differant threads and not all of them are "giveaways". I guess what I thought would happen was that ONLY the giveaway threads would come up and nothing else.

Could there be a way to make this happen or is it just the way the software works? I know a lot of people rant and rave about how crappy the site can be. And I'll be the first on this one to admitt I was wrong by jumping the gun without asking.

I've just had some of my friends off line say some of the same things about not being able to find what they are looking for without doing a lot of reading, instead of having it handed to them.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

First learn were your caps lock button is Then bitch about not finding what you want.
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

This has nothing to do about where my caps lock button is. flipoff::
Old 04-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Shit imagine that I searched caps lock button and the first thing the shows up is this post. Man the search sucks on this site
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Try choosing "Search Titles Only" while Advanced Searching; in this case, without making "giveaway" plural.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 04-17-2009 at 07:56 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

JeepinCA,
I want to say thanks for the help.

I am admitting now that I was useing the search wrong. I had no idea that the Search for titles only was there. I never actually tried to use search to the fullest of it's ability. I was only useing it as I saw it without exploring further into it. I want to appologize to the people that I got bent out of shape at.

I feel like I should stick to the Newb section from now on. :-(
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Also, if you're looking for a tire giveaway type "tire+giveaway" in the box to further narrow the search.

Asterisks can be used if your word is too short (less than three letters)

If you were looking for something like Hot Racing lockouts you'd be apt to type "HR lockouts"

Use "HR*+lockouts"

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 04-17-2009 at 11:01 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodblder View Post
I type in what I'm looking for such as "giveaways" and I get links to all sorts of differant threads and not all of them are "giveaways".
But I'll bet they all have the word "giveaway" in them somewhere in the thread.;)
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
The search is based on VB software, so it isn't completely customizable by "the Gods," but honestly, which features could make it better?
No it's not, we use MySQL based search.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The way I figure it is... there is NO other source of information that will help me to the degree that RCC does hence, definately worth the small amount of frustration generated by the search function... (no my LHS does not know more about crawling... or anything else for that matter...)

Also, to be totally honest... SOMETIMES I can't even find what I want from Google
mcho78 is offline   Reply With Quote