Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Newb Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Newb Section

So, now that we've all got over the nostalgia of the entire first page of "where are the classifieds" threads in the Newb section, can we please un-sticky them?

I used to love going into that section to help answer questions, but I've found myself not going in there much at all lately because I get annoyed at having to scroll down to even see what's being asked.

I know this sounds rather lazy, since scrolling only takes a second, but it's true.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Newb Section

I agree it takes spaces and it looks tacky.

I might be new to the forum but if I only came here for only classified I look at it as disrespectful with a slap on the face to the members here who are willing to help..
Grabbem88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, I'm not saying that I disagree with the classifieds policies of this forum (in fact, I think they work very well) or that I don't think it gets annoying that someone inevitably asks about the classifieds every other day or so......only that the massive amount of stickies in that forum seems to be detracting from the technical aspect of that forum....and, IMO, that is the one that needs the most technical help.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

X2 - It is a bit much IMO
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Do you volunteer to answer the questions when the newbs ask where the classifieds are?

edit: I took 15 of them off. If we start getting more new threads on the classifieds they will probably start getting stickied again.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Do you volunteer to answer the questions when the newbs ask where the classifieds are?

edit: I took 15 of them off. If we start getting more new threads on the classifieds they will probably start getting stickied again.
No, but I used to volunteer to answer the legitimate questions in that section.

Thanks, BTW.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Couldn't you group them in a mass? I had to do this when I had 100's of which cam custom or E cam (hey I'm a ford guy) posted atleast 3x a day

My earlier post might have been vague but when a new guy clicks agree have them be forwarded to the classified's sticky

Just a thought
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

No problems!

We could make one thread that pointed to all the classified threads, but the point of having multiples sticked is because people don't even see them! Its like when I get an email asking when something will be in stock, when I have it right on the product description. What do we do? Make it bigger!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Lol you're right makes ya want to go neon bulbs and big arrows circling it lol!

It is hard at times keeping a forum run smooth and with the classifieds set up the way it is I like the 30 posts before seeing the classifieds I can just see a new guy making one single post asking that typical which ones best..they get
An answer run to classifieds buy somebody's rig then have 100's of posts about why I buy this or that.

I can totally see now after reading my post lol
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

We could make one thread that pointed to all the classified threads, but the point of having multiples sticked is because people don't even see them!
We can change text color in our own individual posts, so is it possible for a mod or Badger to change the color of a thread title? Maybe red and possibly bold or italic so it sticks out better?

Yellow would be nice too.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
We can change text color in our own individual posts, so is it possible for a mod or Badger to change the color of a thread title? Maybe red and possibly bold or italic so it sticks out better?

Yellow would be nice too.
I don't think it's an option but might be worth checking into. If so....orange thread titles everywhere!!!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Trying to have Fun Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I don't think it's an option but might be worth checking into. If so....orange thread titles everywhere!!!
I will back you on this Josh. John get to work on it.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Would it be possible to still have a classifieds link that you could click on but only qualified members would be able to see the classifieds? Non qualified members would then see a message that directs them to a sticky or possibly just a general description of why they cannot see te classifieds?

This would be a nice option rather than just making the classifieds invisible so they would not have to ask so many questions. They would simply click on the classifieds link and then be told they do not have permission to view it and a reason why.

Last edited by jcboof; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 AM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Would it be possible to still have a classifieds link that you could click on but only qualified members would be able to see the classifieds? Non qualified members would then see a message that directs them to a sticky or possibly just a general description of why they cannot see te classifieds?

This would be a nice option rather than just making the classifieds invisible so they would not have to ask so many questions. They would simply click on the classifieds link and then be told they do not have permission to view it an a reason why.
Pretty good idea.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

This would be a nice option rather than just making the classifieds invisible so they would not have to ask so many questions. They would simply click on the classifieds link and then be told they do not have permission to view it and a reason why.
One of the best ideas yet for this situation!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
One of the best ideas yet for this situation!
x2!

Ive been wondering about this since I became a member. Maybe Once the person hits register, it directs them to the page in the rules where it eplains the classifieds, or a thread explaining this issue. Ive never been a mod, and honestly wouldnt mind being one to help out, so I am not familiar with the extent of modifications that can be done to a website. Maybe we are on the verge of a new setup though?
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:

greatest idea since sliced bread
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb Section - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM
Wanted section and for sale section InFlames Comments, Suggestions, and Help 13 10-20-2008 09:12 AM
Do any noobs in the wanted section read the 4 sale section? Unimoger Chit Chat 11 01-24-2006 12:21 PM