Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Observations from the MSD Scale Nats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Observations from the MSD Scale Nats

Now that I've had a little time to relax and get back into the swing of things, here are some observations from last weekend.

1. Ben may well have taken 5 years off of his life in the last 2 weeks, and he deserves many thanks for all he did to make last weekend happen. I didn't get time to talk to the other guys that were helping out (Aaron & crew) but I know they all worked their butts off, and thanks to them too.

2. Tamiya went above and beyond with their support of the event.

3. The other vendors were amazing with their raffle donation - I'm sure we'll all remember their generosity when making future purchases.

4. There aren't enough hours in a day during an event like this.

5. The choice of tires nowdays is amazing. The Flatiron tires are the best all around scale tire I've seen, if Proline makes them in a 1.9....watchout. RC4WD tires are by far the best looking, but lack the performance of some others. Hopefully that can be fixed in the future.....

6. Montana is a beautiful state, but I won't be moving there anytime soon.

7. Having a good performing truck is just as important as how it looks.

8. Scale trucks are cool.

9. Stu has the best beard.....EVER.

10. Scale guys are just fun to be around. I finally got to meet alot of guys from RCCrawler that I've just heard about. Scott (Jimmyrig) is one of the genuinely nicest guys you'll ever meet, if we lived close by, I'm sure we'd be great friends. I enjoyed finally meeting Stu (microgoat), his creativity and imagination are inspiring. It was fun getting to know Cory (Stangkiller SS) and Matt (Obijuan), oh to be young again. Still don't know if I ever caught Matt's girlfriends name (sweet gal, and a great sport about the whole weekend) thanks for helping keep my wife entertained. I also discovered in conversation that Madhatter is a railroader like me .

11. Thanks to Jason and Badger for all their work and support. They can actually drive quite well, who'd have thunk that?

12. I also enjoyed watching Lance (Madscrambler) drive, making it look easy with 2 very unassuming looking Jeeps that worked very well. Congrats to Dustin (Scuzzy) on his 2nd (in a row) 2.2 comp win, and 3rd place finish in 1.9 scale. The man just knows how to drive....... He also had on of the best quotes of the weekend. In the 2.2 comp finals he purposely took one start gate, and a cone on the first gate. Someone said "What are you doing?" He repied "Let me show you how we do it in Oregon!" Classic!

13. After alot of thinking, I have some ideas to run by Ben for next years scale nats that will make things go faster and smoother. I think I'd like to be directly involved with it this time, and think we should have separate 1.9 and 2.2 scale courses. This would mean having more judges running more courses, but it would be worth it to not have to wait 4 hours to run.
It would also be helpful to cut the Euro Trials courses down to 6 gates that the truck could run in 4-6 minutes instead of the 8-10 minutes we saw on Friday. This would cut 3-4 hours off the day, and everyone would get to run.

I think Ben would appreciate most comments and suggestions that you have about the comp, please keep them fairly positive and constructive.

14. I'm so happy that I was able to be part of this event, and will definately see you all next year. Tim.

P.S. How many of you are already planning your trucks for next year? I know I am......
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Great to meet you, Tim. Your tow truck/farm truck is an inspired piece of work, wish I could have seen you thrash it.

The MSD Nats was the best vacation ever
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tim,

thank you for coming and bringing your wife, I am so glad you guys had a great time.

I agree 100% with your ideas. We lacked man power this year and now with the popularity of this event, we need to reel in more people for the behind the scenes.

The 1.9 and 2.2 courses seperate is something we wanted to do, but it just didn't pan out this year. Next year, that will be talked about for sure. We also have been talking about doing 1.9 only on friday, 2.2 only on sat and scale finals and 2.2 comp on sunday.

Another idea from John and Jason of rcc, was to have 4 courses instead of 3, it would keep it moving faster and have more people on more courses at once.

We need to begin a list of people who are willing to be directly involved for next year, because I am sure it will be bigger yet again.

We may also have a buildoff in both classes for next year and the winners will get a free ticket to run their rigs.

Thanks again to everyone for attending and helping out.

Ben and Aaron. MSD
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Tim great post and good meeting you at the event. Thanks for posting the comment "please keep them fairly positive and constructive" Alot of times the bitching comees out and not the constructive criticism.

That said I will be helping on the "crew" next year and watching you on Friday I am sure Ben would be glad to add you also. With the event growth and some very small tweeks next years event will be by far the best and one that will be looked to as the premier National Scale event.

We are already working on securing the existing sponsors for next year and adding more. If you received product in the raffle please send an email thanking those who donated. I am sure they would love to hear from those who won prizes along with your feeligns about the MSD event.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I agree with Stu "best vacation ever"

we could have changed or left it all the way it is... At the end of the day I was having an awesome time, and it didn't even phase me that I only ran 2 of the 3 courses...

I think Sunday was one of the Highlights of the trip, so many people doing so many different things, I couldn't decide where to go first...

I still can't stress enough the appreciation I have for Ben, With Stu and I saying there, we got a good look at some of what was involved in putting on this thing, and I think Ben did a hell of a job!

I hope the planets align and alow me to continue for years to come, and like this year, If you need help Ben, Just let me know
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

the drive up there i was in heaven, theres so many fullsize four wheel drives just sitting waiting for me to buy them up!

the beer stores close at like 6, and the stoplights start blinking before sunset.

kum and go gas stations are hilarious
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
the drive up there i was in heaven, theres so many fullsize four wheel drives just sitting waiting for me to buy them up!

the beer stores close at like 6, and the stoplights start blinking before sunset.

kum and go gas stations are hilarious

LOL, the Kum & Go was hilarious! We stopped there just because of the sweet name, nahmean? haha

There were indeed tons of 4x4 rigs for sale, mainly some sick CJ's and Wranglers. We actually looked at an 04' Wrangler Rubicon while we were passing through Helena on the way home.

We also drove right passed that bad motorcycle wreck where the Townsend rider died. That was the saddest thing I've ever witnessed in my life, we must have only been about two minutes after it happened. Nothing sobers you up like EMTs draping a sheet over a body as you drive by...:-(

OH YEAH! We also witnessed a car jacking, we were driving to the MSD shop on Thursday night and Zak spotted two dark figures huddled around a CJ on a car lot. As we passed, the light turned in our favor and one of the guys was sticking a slim-jim in the window! Yup, next morning on the way to Rimini at 6:30 am, Jeep was gone! I don't think they sold it that morning....

Besides the wreck, the MSD scale nats was by far the most fun event I've ever been to!

Thanks to all the sponsors and shops for the awesome raffle prizes, they were awesome!

Tamiya USA, you guys put up a lot of prizes, repped Tamiya USA and showed your support all weekend!

HPI for the Wheely Kings, lol, hope they're still ok

Proline for all the tires and bodies and stuff you just can't have a scaler without!

Montana Scale Designs for the support of the entire event, great raffle prizes and genuine friendliness!

Reign RC for the scale chassies, cuz I won one!

Great job Ben, and everyone else who contributed! Thanks for using your house as home-base, your neighbors still live by you after all that? lol You can count on me being there next year with more than one truck

Aaron, for giving me some interesting directions to Ben's shop, lol!

War Pig, for giving up two courses to judge the Euro Trails, thanks man! You deserve that CR-01!

Jason and Badger for the live webcam stuff, chatting with us on comp day, letting me bash your SuperComp Jason , and the good humor you guys had all weekend!

Lance (madscrambler) for the awesome performance all weekend, rocking an FX-R and your showing of sportsmanship, you deserve every bit of it buddy! Also the best winching techniques I've ever witnessed!

Zach for his 1.9 win with the FX-R! Great job man! Can you say NATIONAL CHAMP?!

Shawn (CCFBERG) for being an all-out cool dude and hanging with us at the tent and sharing some stories, good times!

Scott (JimmyRig) and Stu (microgoat) for taking all the awesome pictures over the weekend, specifically the Taco Bell Ride, Stu! We'll see Scott soon hopefully to put a little Idaho get-together on this summer

And everyone else that was there, you all were friendly and helpful towards everybody else and everyone (I think) got along great! You can't ever say that about really any other event in the country

Great times, we shall return and see you all again next year!

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-22-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

it was cool meeting you too. her name is erin. by "young" i assume you mean no kids lol. cause ive got quite a few years on matt ;)

id like to see 1.9 specific courses as well. my 9.75"WB, 3.7"tired jeep simply got swallowed out there.

i disagree on the 4 courses though. i didnt play around at all, got there at 8am and went straight course to course and got in line, and i finished my last course at 9:30pm, that was fuking rediculous.

any chances of moving the nats to Colorado? that place is sick!
and yeah the Kum & go, and Pump & pack gas stations were halarious. it was like they knew, cause they sold t-shirts and hats.
yeah helena liquor store closed at 7pm, and the lights started blinking at 9pm, that was crazy. definatly a wild party town
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
by "young" i assume you mean no kids lol. cause ive got quite a few years on matt ;)
Anyone under 35 is young to me these days........:-(
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
i disagree on the 4 courses though. i didnt play around at all, got there at 8am and went straight course to course and got in line, and i finished my last course at 9:30pm, that was fuking rediculous.
The wierd thing is that we run 5 courses at our crawler comps and everybody loves it because it surprizingly doesn't take any longer and everyone gets more run time

I just hate trail running before I'm done with a comp because I don't want to break anything.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
MODERHATER™

Quote:

any chances of moving the nats to Colorado? that place is sick!
AMEN!! And you just saw Palmer Park!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
AMEN!! And you just saw Palmer Park!
if that place had a wall outlet i would never leave.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no kidding. id throw down a pad in one of those undercuts and just live right there.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote