Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Rock Racing....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rock Racing....

So, we have our crawling competitions which normally mean slow moving, precise lines and try to make it look good going through the course(s). Why be limited?

Yes, we all know that having two classes(Super and 2.2) seem to fill a whole day currently but I like the faster action. ORCRC held a short rock race that pretty much killed about $600 worth of electronics from various rigs but it was ran through some deep water holes too. I'd like to see more faster paced crawling/racing.

What other groups have had more or less rock racing rather than crawling? Should we discuss rules and/or ideas when it comes to a rock racing event? It'd speed up the day and possibly attract more attention to our small part of the rc hobby world.

A rock racing event would really open up ideas on how to build an ultimate crawler.

Let's think about it.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Can you describe the "Rock Racing Rig" that you have pictured. Is it Unlimited? Would there be something technical thrown in the course to help keep the trucks Crawler Based? Would it be a No Penalty thing? One person Racing at a time?

"Rock Racing" just sounds fun doesn't it?
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheAlligatorMan
Can you describe the "Rock Racing Rig" that you have pictured. Is it Unlimited? Would there be something technical thrown in the course to help keep the trucks Crawler Based? Would it be a No Penalty thing? One person Racing at a time?

"Rock Racing" just sounds fun doesn't it?

We'll have to keep the water levels low for you though

I see a rock racing rig as being almost totally unlimited. Must have 2 axles and have 4 tires/wheels. None of that 6x6 or 8x8 Gerrish-Made contraptions

Basicly it's a crawler but without fear of needing to go a bit faster. I really started thinking about it after watching Tydes little video business teaser clip(s).

Here you go Dave....this is what I could see us doing at perhaps the next comp in late November/December.

Clip from 4lockedfils.com of the XRRA Rock Race
http://www.4lockedfilms.com/e107_plu...eoWMVCOTW3.php

Home page for XRRA Rock Racing,
http://www.xrra.com/
Old 11-06-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Damn, That's good stuff! This Vid Rockshttp://www.4lockedfilms.com/e107_plu...deoWMLarge.php
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Phoenix Area Rock Crawlers has held a few rock racing stages during past events. Our next event PBB11 has rock racing schedualled in the afternoon after the 2.2 and unlimited class has been completed and an hour lunch break. So those who are interested can compete and those who only whant to do the same old thing can compete as normal.

We ran the same or similar coarses as our regular event stages(generaly way to extreme for racing, unless you build your truck way beefier). Having the break up in time will allow us to set up a more apropriate coarse for racing.

I would also like to know if any other groups have figured out "rules" because it was alot of fun but things did pop up that do not happen at a regular event. For example we had no penalties for any rollovers so if you roll you filp the truck back over and proceed. There is usually a concensus(SP?) between competetor and judge(as to a legal or illegal reposition), but if you are racing its hard to not just throw the truck down and go. A second example that comes to mind is the ever present high center position in wich you as a driver feel you can not proceed. In a regular comp you would be penilized for a reposition, in our rock racing stages you could not pick up the truck if it was not rolled over or unless the judge deemed it appropriate so again waiting for judges decisions could make or break the event for a driver.

-grover

Last edited by grover; 11-06-2005 at 08:44 AM.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
I would also like to know if any other groups have figured out "rules" because it was alot of fun but things did pop up that do not happen at a regular event. For example we had no penalties for any rollovers so if you roll you filp the truck back over and proceed. There is usually a concensus(SP?) between competetor and judge(as to a legal or illegal reposition), but if you are racing its hard to not just throw the truck down and go. A second example that comes to mind is the ever present high center position in wich you as a driver feel you can not proceed. In a regular comp you would be penilized for a reposition, in our rock racing stages you could not pick up the truck if it was not rolled over or unless the judge deemed it appropriate so again waiting for judges decisions could make or break the event for a driver.

I think we should work out some temporary rules, until we can get it down.

The rock racing can't really be ran on the same course(s) as the crawling, the racing needs a bit more room for error and slightly less technical course, not to wimpy though.

Course length needs to be decided upon. Which I guess could be based on number of gates that need to be driven through or maybe even an overall distance. Gates would probably be easier. 10 or 15 gates?

Repositions(rollover issue) need to be looked at also. Remember this isn't the 1:1 events.... Let's say you are given 3 free repositions for the course, if you have to reposition your rig more than those 3 times, then deductions will happen. If you do not use up all 3 free repositions then it will be reflected into your final score as bonus points(good ones).

2WS vs. 4WS... Should 4WS be allowed? Or should this class/event be more about skills with driving a 2WS only rig? Looking at XRRA rules concerning 4WS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRRA Axle requirements
- Rear steer axles must be pinned unless there are 4 or more like rigs to make a class.
So by using that I'd say 2WS only for rock racing

No 6x6 or 8x8 wheeled contraptions allowed. Keep the rig normal(4 tires/wheels, 2 axles, etc.)

Other than dealing with repositions, steerig issues and number of tires/wheels... it's pretty much an open event to build what ever you want, how ever you want. Build it big or build it small.

I'm sure that there are many issues that can be delt with at each event. Depends on the people who are wanting to compete in a crazy breakage happenin' event I guess.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I haven't participated in any competitions as of yet, but I like the idea of rock racing. Not as a replacement for crawling, but just as a faster-paced side event. It may win over some of the nay-sayers who complain that crawling is too slow and boring.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Id say rock racing would be a total blast. It would be pretty fun and I wouldnt see it impossible to build some nitro trucks for these events either. Which is of course a good thing to have more variety of options when building them.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakk
Id say rock racing would be a total blast. It would be pretty fun and I wouldnt see it impossible to build some nitro trucks for these events either. Which is of course a good thing to have more variety of options when building them.
Nitro still sucks..... I'd probably tell someone to go home if they showed up with a nitro rig at any ORCRC event. Nitros smell, make too much noise and did I mention the noise? Many of the places we run our trucks are small parks with homes nearby and I'm sure we'd get kicked out if a nitro truck was trying to blaze around a course.

Nitro's are NOT meant to be crawlers.... Yes, I'm a anti-nitro guy.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
The Wheels Keep Turning

I really enjoyed our last set of rock racing stages. Definitely allot more fun for the drivers and spectators. More action packed and you get through the field quicker.

I just read an article in dirt sports about rock racing and they said one thing i liked. Throw all the rules out the window!!! Your only penalized for going outside the boundaries. We added gates to ours stages to actually set the boundaries, but it worked well. Staiy between the gates and go, no other penalties. I think we gave 10 seconds for hitting a gate???? I don't really remember.

Some courses could be run for both. Our easy stages could be run as rock races. But almost always our last stage is wayyyy too difficult. We had no problems allowing the driver do the repo, just no foward progress like the rest of the comps. About a competitor getting stuck. If there is no penalty for reverse, the driver has no reason not to reverse his way out. I think if the truck tries a few times to forward and reverse and just can't move, then they are allowed to repo.

I think if we run more events and try these we'll be better able to decide course length. But i like the idea of longer stages for the races.

Toyo, I really don't like the 3 repo thing only because I'd like to keep these as simple as possible. It's about the time and that's it. Make it damned easy to judge!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should allow the same rigs that run in the other two classes run this class unmodified. So I'm in for allowing 4ws. You'll get allot more people involved if they don't have to build another rig for this class.

Also, these stage times can be converted into points by dividing the time in seconds by 10. We did this because our speed stages were part of the actual comp (normal slow stuff). Just an idea i wanted to throw out there.

But i love the idea of rock racing. We are trying to fit it into our next comp and i'll add to this thread what results we find.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I'd love to have a rock racing class, but the guys in T.S.C. aren't interested
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=kevinlongisland]
I think we should allow the same rigs that run in the other two classes run this class unmodified. So I'm in for allowing 4ws. You'll get allot more people involved if they don't have to build another rig for this class.

Also, these stage times can be converted into points by dividing the time in seconds by 10. We did this because our speed stages were part of the actual comp (normal slow stuff). Just an idea i wanted to throw out there.[QUOTE]

I like the points idea that, way we can get an "overall" for more than one stage.

Are you talking about running any size truck...all in one class "rock race"?

That idea might work if the coures are properly laid out...I can see some drivers wanting to run seperate classes so they can drive two or three trucks, but it sounds so cool to have a class that is super easy to judge and allows all the different types of trucks to compete against each other.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

are you guys talking just holding full throttle the whole time or actually gearing up?
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbuggy
are you guys talking just holding full throttle the whole time or actually gearing up?
In the past we (PARC) used the same trucks with no gearing changes. Our courses have been much to technical to just pin the throttle!

Last edited by grover; 11-07-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #15
The Wheels Keep Turning

grover, i was thinking of running them in different classes, but we can try running them together.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
The Wheels Keep Turning

Please Read!!

This thread has remained on track and true to it's title so far. BUT, these threads have a tendency to get off track. I will delete and modify posts as necessary to keep this thread meaningful and focused on it's intended subject. BEWARE!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

I have always felt that slow precise rock crawling is too boring. Especially for any spectators you might have.

I am all for rock racing. I think it would be good to start with the classes we have and see how the vehicles need to evolve. Run 2.2's, supers, and unlimited's separately but possibly on the same course. Just separate them during the score totals.

Course length needs to be decided upon.
I would say 10 gates.

Repositions(rollover issue) need to be looked at also.
I like the 3 repositions/rollovers maximum idea as well as bonuses for not using them.

2WS vs. 4WS... Should 4WS be allowed?
I agree that allowing 4ws wold be good so that people don't have to make changes to their rig. Keep it 2ws in 2.2 class though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm not into rock racing at all myself. I suppose I can see why other people would...and I wouldn't mind seeing a class for it. Diversity is always welcome in my book...but I wouldn't participate, as I don't think it's a worthwhile activity. Going over rocks isn't about horsepower, it's about driver skill and vehicle setup.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 11-07-2005 at 06:40 PM.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101
Going over rocks isn't about horsepower, it's about driver skill and vehicle setup.
Im pretty sure rock racing involves both driver skill and vehicle set up too, with the added feature of horspower and some movement to the crawling. I agree that crawling is somewhat slow and boring to watch, I almost fall asleep on some of the videos to be honest. Rock Racing all the way
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i think it would be fun, but i agree with kevin, no three repos, just time, i would say you can repo any time you want you just need to lose 3 rig lenghts every time you do, then it is strickly time, and your penallized for the repo, and it is still simple.

ok new idea: or you could repo to the previous gate anytime.

sbj
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote