Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: MSD Nationals: How Many Rigs Should I Bring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default MSD Nationals: How Many Rigs Should I Bring?

Hey y'all,

I have a question and would like some input...

So I'm making my first trip to the MSD Nationals this year and I'm totally stoked about it! I definitely want to make sure I get the most out of the experience because I have no idea if I'll ever make it out there again (it's quite pricey coming from Texas). You see, I'm thinking it would be great to bring two rigs to compete with. My only concern is that I may end up being so busy at the event getting everything ready and competing that I may not have much time to hang out, socialize, and watch the other rigs/drivers. And frankly, I'm looking forward to the social aspect of the event as much as the actual competition!

I'm definitely bringing my 2.2 Bronco to compete with in Class 3. Hopefully, it'll get voted into the TTC event, but there's so many incredible rigs that I'm skeptical about being voted into the top 10. So I'm thinking of also building a Class 1 truck. I'm just not sure if bringing two rigs is a good idea if all my time will be occupied tinkering with them, y'know?

I guess what I'm asking is how busy should someone expect to be when running two classes? Is it a pretty hectic pace? Would I have plenty of time to socialize? Help me out, guys. Should I build this second rig or just focus on one?

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Last year, the different classes were run on different days. Street and stock on Friday, Trail on Saturday, and TTC on Sunday. I was only competing in Trail and TTC with the same rig, but brought down 3 trucks. I found there was a fair bit of time to play on the Saturday after I was done all the courses and before the top 5 went on the final course. I actually re-drove all the courses with a different rig after everyone else had already finished. Lots of other guys brought extra trucks to play around with as well.

If you've got the room, I say bring it with you. It's always good to have spare rigs to rob parts off of if needed too. Main focus should be on making sure big oly is in tip top shape though!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, I'll definitely have Oly built up and bulletproof for the event. That's a given! If we were driving and could pack stuff more easily, I'd build a second rig. But we're flying and I'll need to ship my stuff or check it. Either way, it'll be pricey to send another rig. I wonder how the new class format will change things. 3 classes, a spec class, plus the TTC stuff! That's a lot to squeeze in!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You will be busy and on sensory overload all weekend.Run as many classes as you can, socializing in line is a great way to meet new folks.You are traveling a long ways, may as well drive as much as you can while you are there

Judging will also net you a great experience meeting people and seeing all the rigs out there.

I have found in the last three years, there is very little down time and redbull is your friend Extra trucks that you are not running are fun and you can play in the evenings at the MSD shop, but packing them with you can be a challenge.Over the years I have left more of the rigs at home and only brought the ones I intend on competing with or the for sale rigs...there is a lot of batering and trading that weekend.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
'08 2.2 National Champ

I run every class I can every year. Trail is the most fun in my opinion. If you can have something to run in that you wouldn't regret it.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Devlin, Zach, thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards building a second rig just so I can make as much of the experience as I can. I just have to keep the main focus on the Bronco, of course.

Zach, a Trail class rig would be great, but would be a big step up in cost and time compared to Class 1. Super 300s, big motor, custom tube work, etc... I think I could put together a fairly simple C1 truck more quickly and hopefully cheaper. Afterall, the Bronco still needs a fair amount of attention. That thing's a time and money sponge!!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Is there a spec class this year? I haven't been paying attention but I could certainly see myself going that route for a second rig.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Is there a spec class this year? I haven't been paying attention but I could certainly see myself going that route for a second rig.
I think we need to have that new Axial scaler as the spec rig
(If Axial is the main sponsor again)
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
You will be busy and on sensory overload all weekend.Run as many classes as you can, socializing in line is a great way to meet new folks.You are traveling a long ways, may as well drive as much as you can while you are there
Perfect...
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Love to see you build a trail rig TOMMY if I could make it I would like to get as drive time as posbul
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you're ready for the camera also..... I like to surprise people.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I try to drive every class each year, and help Ben out with the event where I can. I have always had the time to have fun, and there is time built into the events for hanging out and socializing.

If I'm driving 2k miles to be there, I'm doing everything I can before I go home.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks a lot for the replies! I think I've been convinced to compete as much as I can. Y'all just spent a lot more of my money, dammit!! I'd love to build a Class 2 Trail rig, but I think I'm going to stick with Class 1 for now because I think it'll be a simpler, faster build.....maybe a bit cheaper, too. It'll be a pain to ship all this stuff from Texas, but that's okay. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I'm really, really looking forward to this and can't wait to meet everyone in person!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies! I think I've been convinced to compete as much as I can. Y'all just spent a lot more of my money, dammit!! I'd love to build a Class 2 Trail rig, but I think I'm going to stick with Class 1 for now because I think it'll be a simpler, faster build.....maybe a bit cheaper, too. It'll be a pain to ship all this stuff from Texas, but that's okay. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I'm really, really looking forward to this and can't wait to meet everyone in person!
your telling me, I gotta rebuild a class three, start from scratch a class one, and decide if im rebuilding or starting over on a class 2
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
your telling me, I gotta rebuild a class three, start from scratch a class one, and decide if im rebuilding or starting over on a class 2
Dude, you're nuts!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I will be bringing my folding table again, I am going to bring 5 rigs.
C1 Yota, C2 D90, C3 F-350, TTC Tundra and my Globe liner with a trailer.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Building 3 new myself,only 1 is anywhere near a runner...

Build extras Tommy, you never know who might be interested in buying one of them
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
I will be bringing my folding table again, I am going to bring 5 rigs.
C1 Yota, C2 D90, C3 F-350, TTC Tundra and my Globe liner with a trailer.
Justin, you just need to build a scale dealership or something for all your stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Building 3 new myself,only 1 is anywhere near a runner...

Build extras Tommy, you never know who might be interested in buying one of them
LOL! Well, I don't have any plans on selling anything, but I have made the decision to have multiple rigs there.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Iam bringing two rigs, but both are C-2. One i will run in C-2 the other in C-3, if Iam coming from Califorina I will try to run as much as possible. Can you run a C-2 in C-3??
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Iam bringing two rigs, but both are C-2. One i will run in C-2 the other in C-3, if Iam coming from Califorina I will try to run as much as possible. Can you run a C-2 in C-3??
Sure! No reason you can't bump up classes as long as your rig meets the rules and guidelines.